Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aibo82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I think animated icons would be a nice touch to take up the power of the A4!

Clock icon= displays the time with sweeping second hand
Settings= cogs rotate
Compass= it spins
Weather= actually displays a cloud,rain,sun etc
Folder icons= scrolls through contained apps then back to grid

Also a row by row swipe so you can pull your faves along to the front instead of swiping a whole grid!
:)

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Ugh.

The one thing I never never understood is why can't the built-in weather app show the current weather? The calendar app shows the current date!

Of course make it optional, as it would suck down some internet connection to update but make it available for goodness sakes!

aibo82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Animated icons wont pull alot of power jeeze phones have been doing this for years and some with excellent battery life! it just seem the development of the UI is suffering because of battery life!

The UI is 3 years old with hardly any refresh to design apart from wallpapers!

Deadman64

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Animated icons wont pull alot of power jeeze phones have been doing this for years and some with excellent battery life! it just seem the development of the UI is suffering because of battery life!

I agree. Why these implementations weren't made blows my mind. Don't worry Apple had to save something for iOS5.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
They actually did have a live clock and weather icon found in Cydia. I used them with my 2G iPhone. I don't really plan to jailbreak this 4, but the little things does make me miss it. Even the skins for the Notes app and dialer, I miss those too.

finatk

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2009
For those that have had / or used a Palm Pre with webOS.

Wouldn't it be nice if the bottom area of the iPhone was touch like the Palm Pre and swiping up revealed the "Multi-tasking" bar, it would feel much more fluid and natural.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Animated icons wont pull alot of power jeeze phones have been doing this for years and some with excellent battery life!

No, they'll just look tacky and be incredibly distracting.

And folders.=, and an increase in resolution and image quality. But then, the UI hasnt' changed much because it works well.

It constantly seems like there are two camps in the PC/mobile device world: people who want their devices to look pretty, and people who actually rely on them to do real work.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Ugh.

The one thing I never never understood is why can't the built-in weather app show the current weather? The calendar app shows the current date!

Of course make it optional, as it would suck down some internet connection to update but make it available for goodness sakes!

Yeah I agree big time on this. I can understand showing a sun, by why does it have to say 73 degrees? That makes no sense to me. The icon would look just as good without it.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Ugh.

This has been discussed in another thread, but basically, for the calendar you have 1-31 as the icon set. With a dynamic weather icon, you would have -XX to XXX for the temp, plus the icon itself, all while continually pulling for the current information and determining location. Additionally, many people have multiple weather maps, how would it know which one to display? Sure, the "front" one makes sense, but if you're on a multi-city trip, rearranging each time seems needless. I'm not saying it woudn't be nice, it's just complicated.

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
The one that would be perfect would be the clock. When I look at the clock icon now on my iPhone 4, its so detailed and beautiful on the screen, it would be so nice if it actually worked.

I know they can animate the icons in a very limited way, since the calendar icon changes depending on what date it is. They'd just have to amp that up a little by making the clock display the real time, maybe not with a second hand, but still with the actual time. Don't see why it would take up much processor power and would be very cool.

aibo82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
No, they'll just look tacky and be incredibly distracting.

Im sorry but that phone UI looks MINT (awesome) its nothing we get with iphone yes you don't need to going over the top with it like HTC in that video, But some nice little improvements to make it a pleasure to use! every update in hardware don't migrate into software design I still feel like im using an old phone even though its hardware is current nothing excites me about the UI its tired!

BeerLover!

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Ugh.

+1

mrfriggz

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2010
I am betting on an updated UI for iOS5. I would also assume this would include animated icons of some sort.

coasterider

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Washington, DC
I feel like if I had all those animations going at once my screen would look like chaos. I like non-animated apps. Maybe a weather app that changes with current weather but not an animated one.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I wouldn't mind it if the weather app would display the current weather on the icon. Also, I would also like it, if the weather app would constantly update based on location without me having to change it.

-Don

green94

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
I wouldn't mind it if the weather app would display the current weather on the icon. Also, I would also like it, if the weather app would constantly update based on location without me having to change it.

-Don

Yeah I'd love this as well. When I jailbroke my 3G you could easily do this and it worked great with little effect on battery life. Icons changed based on day/night and current weather outside as well as the current temp. Should not be hard to implement and could use location services at all times.

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
I like the UI the way it is. Sure other OS's have animated icons and that's great for those OS's. But i like the simplistic and minimalist design of iOS. I'm glad it hasn't become Ghetto and Gaudy :D

badpinoy

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
what i wish is when i click on the weather app it would show current location. instead of manually entering in a city. could be nice for those that travel a lot.

TurdFerguson

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
O'side!
many people have multiple weather maps, how would it know which one to display? Sure, the "front" one makes sense, but if you're on a multi-city trip, rearranging each time seems needless. I'm not saying it woudn't be nice, it's just complicated.

There is a GPS built into the phone...

deimos256

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
Ugh.

Or how about a weather app thats actually functional? I havent used my weather app since the 3g launch, when I discovered weather apps that actually had functionality.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
This has been discussed in another thread, but basically, for the calendar you have 1-31 as the icon set. With a dynamic weather icon, you would have -XX to XXX for the temp, plus the icon itself, all while continually pulling for the current information and determining location. Additionally, many people have multiple weather maps, how would it know which one to display? Sure, the "front" one makes sense, but if you're on a multi-city trip, rearranging each time seems needless. I'm not saying it woudn't be nice, it's just complicated.

Not sure how the range would really matter that much. Wouldn't both use the same amount of memory? I realize the temperature range is larger, but not THAT much larger.

As for the "which city to display, I think you answered that yourself. You're constantly pulling down current location, why not just use that? Navigation apps do it all the time. Honestly, I don't see the weather app taking up anymore battery life than push email. Why not give options as to how frequently the weather app should update.

kdarling

macrumors P6
This has been discussed in another thread, but basically, for the calendar you have 1-31 as the icon set. With a dynamic weather icon, you would have -XX to XXX for the temp, plus the icon itself, all while continually pulling for the current information and determining location.

No need for multiple premade icons. They could simply draw and store a new icon for each weather situation.

It wouldn't even be a unique solution: Apple already sometimes stores new startup images for their apps by snapping the screen when you exit, to make it appear as if they're starting faster.

Other phones show dynamic weather at the interval you set up. They also recognize when you've driven to another town and automatically update the location and situation.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
No need for multiple premade icons. They could simply draw and store a new icon for each weather situation.

It wouldn't even be a unique solution: Apple already sometimes stores new startup images for their apps by snapping the screen when you exit, to make it appear as if they're starting faster.

Other phones show dynamic weather at the interval you set up. They also recognize when you've driven to another town and automatically update the location and situation.
also, you see with winterboard themes, that the calendar icon actually shows the date as a label and not a customized icon, since you cannot make the number NOT show, even with very minimalistic themes

(http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs45/f/2009/151/0/2/another_winterboard_theme_by_laebear12.png) check this theme for example.

anywho ... i suppose fetching the weather would drain the battery unnecessarily, and if it'd only update whenever i open the app, what's the point then.

don't really need that functionality, since i don't trust it anyways, and additionally, IF i care about any information about the weather, then it's about tomorrow's, not the current situation, which i can see when i look outside the window.

other than that ... animated clocks, compasses etc. would be too much gizmos wiggling around. Wouldn't match the overall style of iOS, so i suppose it's merely a design choice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.