iPad Now hold on a second, high data usage on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by portcontrol7, Apr 7, 2014.

1. portcontrol7 macrumors member

I just got a verizon iPad Air, and signed up for the 5gb plan. I checked the data usage and it says I have used half the data in one day! Watched a couple funny youtube clips and played a few video games.

How in the hell is 5GB of data supposed to last a week, let alone a month. I call shenanigans.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Go to Settings, Cellular, and scroll down. It will tell you data usage by app.

Videos eat up the most data, so, that could very well be it, depending on how many videos you watched.

3. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

We'll 1.2 gb from personal hotspot. Used my MacBook to play a little hearthstone. Still don't get this. I am thinking cellular ipad surfing is a racket.

----------

5 GB a month. Now that I think about it I know this is a racket. This thing is going back for wifi only.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

You'd be surprise at the amount of data videos can consume. Instead of sending it back, why don't you use the data responsibly when you need to or towards the end of the month? On my smartphone I only use data when I absolutely need it and wifi is not around.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

6. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

These carriers are insane with greed. 500 gb for $50 is more like it.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

All depends on your usage. Don't just assume. Monitor your usage. Streaming video can easily eat up data.

Your lack of understanding of your actual data usage does not make it a racket. 5GB is 5GB. How you use it and how quickly you burn through it is all up to you.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I've had 2GB of data per month for two years now, and I've never exceeded it. I browse the web heavily while using data, as well as use Maps, stream music (occasionally), play games, etc.

Would I love to have a higher data cap? Of course. But as long as you're not streaming video, it's pretty easy to get by with 2GB, let alone 5GB. Just be responsible.

9. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It's the fact that you used your hotspot to play a game on a computer. Not a smart move on LTE.

Apparently (looking on Google) someone calculated that a single round of Hearthstone will do 100kb upload, 200kb download on 3G.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

^^^THIS^^^

General surfing and downloading videos via cellular has always used a lot of data.

5GB is more than enough for me but you have to use it "smartly".

I do not think the OP is looking at reality as far as data usage.

11. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i only use data for occasional web browsing and social media. videos use a lot of data so that could be why you used so much. online gaming is something that should be done on wifi anyways, just common sense.

12. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Or you could buy an unlimited data SIM card off the net. It is a racket because the phone companies are making billions collectively. My only complaint is that data speeds are so very much slower here in the U.S., compared to the rest of the free world.

13. $M.H$ macrumors member

The unlimited data plan is the BEST for videos
    and the online games :D

14. cynics macrumors G3

Yep. You have to be very careful when using a hotspot.

A lot of apps will limit usage when it's detecting cellular usage ie videos and sound in lower quality, data backup turned off, etc.

If the device sees wifi then the sky is the limit.

I used to tether my iPhone to an Android tablet for LTE speeds and talk with data. Made the mistake of plugging my iPhone in and when I locked it it started back up and syncing everything. Brain fart on my end.

15. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

I used to consume 5-7GB per month when on the unlimited plan. I peaked at 9GB one month due to lots of streaming (road trip).

However, now that I'm on a 10GB data cap with AT&T instead of unlim, I tend to use WiFi more. My data is now around 3.5-5GB per month. Videos will consume a lot, especially if the quality is not downsized for the iPhone.

16. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

If you hotspotted from a laptop, always make sure you know exactly what your laptop is doing. Running updates, syncing files in the cloud, etc. Sometimes my laptop has gone through over 100mb of data before I've even opened one app.

17. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

lol at paying for data on ipad, it just make no sense to me unless ur work pays for it

18. iZollo macrumors regular

iZollo

For some people like myself paying for unlimited data is priceless when we are traveling on a 12hr road trip with my daughter. She can stream all her disney movies from my plex server at home in HD LTE speeds. She uses 20gb or more of data because of the HD stream.

19. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I really need to find someone willing to sell their unlimited iPad data plan

20. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

how much is that unlimited plan, if it's $50 or more, more power to you that you can afford it. i already pay data for my phone plus home internet, having an extra data bill just don't make sense to me at all.

21. 7thson macrumors 6502a

7thson

My son plays hearthstone and racks up the gb's. We're allotted 150gb/month from our ISP and he's tipped us over more than once. Pre-hearthstone, we would use round 30-40gb/month, at most, using Netflix. Now we have to monitor it, as we've used up our "warnings" and are looking at some serious finger wagging if we cross the line again. For some reason, it seems that streaming that game uses more data than watching videos. I'm not sure why.

22. iZollo macrumors regular

iZollo

The data plan is $30 a month. I do already pay for data on my cellphones but I get a 25% discount which helps. I just think it is worth it to some and not others. It's the convince of not having wifi in the car on long trips that I think pays for itself for my daughter to keep busy while we are in the car for long periods at a time. I agree it can be a waste of money some months but that is the price I have to pay for piece of mind.

23. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

$30 isn't as bad as i thought for unlimited data, probably wouldnt get one for myself but for the kids i would probably let that slide. haha

24. thegreati macrumors regular

Unfortunately, unlimited is truly the only way to go. Utilize WIFI as much as possible and unless you have an unlimited plan, just be super cautious

25. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I finally got an att iPad unlimited plan. I def paid for it, but with my rmini it'll pay for itself real soon I hope