Now, how do you feel after Nvidia's response to denying all G84 & G86 not defective?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Jul 19, 2008.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

So since Nvidia's denying that all the g84 and g86 gpu's are all defective and "only a small batch that was shipped was affected," especially only "certain notebook configurations" do you guys think they were being truthful and you feel more relaxed/confident about your macbook pro or are you guys not still buying it?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Aren't you getting sick of this.... :rolleyes:

No I'm not worried and see no reason for Nvidia to lie.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Sorry about that, I was going to post the first comment on the other thread that i started in the are all macbook pro owners screwed but I wanted to particularly start one talking about Nvidia and their announcements.

It just feels very hard to believe them after their stock dropped 24% in an instant and reserving $200 million for repairs, reimbursement or whatever.

4. gr8bob macrumors regular

I'm just getting sick of NVIDIA since they could've come cleaner with their claims.

I'm just going to quote my reply I made on the NVIDIA forum..

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=72171&view=findpost&p=411970

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You've done nothing but gripe ever since this news was released, and you've found ways to restate the same situation in over 10 new threads you've started, not to mention discussing it in dozens of other threads. You've beat this subject to death!!!! It's time to move on and GET OVER IT! WE DO NOT NEED ANOTHER STUPID THREAD ABOUT THIS SAME ISSUE! There are plenty of existing threads where you can continue to rant about this! ENOUGH already!!!

6. m1stake macrumors 68000

"not all G84's and G86's are defective"

"ebola does not kill all of the people it infects"

both of these are true. Get it through your head that the defect rate is NOT 100%, and is a small issue. It's probably something like 5-20%, which is totally unacceptable, but not 100%. Anything above 1% is not acceptable to technology companies. You're crying over something relatively small.

7. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

This issue is very confusing, first Nvidia sets aside $200 million for the matter and then announced that their die/package is of a weak defective substance. Then the inquirer pretty much announces that we at "least" know that all the g84 and g86 chipsets use the exact same ASIC board and no changes were made in their lives. <~~~ this is what leads me to believe it has some truth to all the gpu being defective, pretty much stick with a defective part in a gpu or anything in technology and it will be 100% defective.

"When the process engineers pinged by the INQ picked themselves off the floor from laughing, they politely said that there is about zero chance that NV would change the assembly process or material set for a batch, much less an EOL part."

I mean the inquirer isnt taken as seriously as a respectable tech website but their not always wrong and sources are reliable.

And now all of a sudden nvidia (not officially annoucing) but telling arstechnica that only a small % was shipped with the defective part... but it sounds like a lie to me since they already released their bios and probably prolonged most of the nvidia g84 and g86 gpu to 3-4 years now and which isnt a real fix either by just cranking up the fan.

I dont know, all in all imo sounds too fishy to be true.

First is significant amount was shipped and now all magically only a small %..?!???

Anyone else?

8. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Why don't you quit worrying about a problem that may or may not exist and start enjoying your MBP? You claim it's near perfect, Enjoy it.

9. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I'm on my mbp right now and I am enjoying it, its just I want to get to the bottom of this!!

10. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

OP: If you cannot enjoy your MBP with the announcements, I say just sell the MBP so you (and we) can get on with your life instead of incessantly complaining about this issue. This so belongs in the other thread. Just let the natural course of the forum follow through instead of making so many threads on the same topic.

11. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I don't think you'll get to the bottom of this by nervously pacing back and forth on this/these forums. In fact, if I were you I'd not expend nearly the energy and research it will obviously take to get to the bottom of this issue without someone paying me to do it. You could offer yourself up to Apple, or nVidia as a detective, or consultant, and perhaps help them get to the bottom of this issue, presuming they already don't have the matter under serious consideration and have already assigned someone within their own ranks, or maybe from the outside to tackle this problem. It couldn't hurt to offer your help, but I'd hazard a guess that they'd decline. So, why don't you just relax, and let them get to the bottom of it, and then you'll have your answers.

In the meantime, enjoy your MBP. Keep an eye on it, but don't fret so much. Buy the Apple Care package if you need the added security. I have a MBP with the suspect graphics card - it works just fine. I do lots of things with it both for work and entertainment. I keep myself somewhat up to date on issues, but find it much simpler, and productive to avoid focusing on the hypothetical situations I might... just might encounter later. I'll cross those hypothetical bridges when they become real bridges.

12. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Screw that. Cigarettes are causes of Cancer around 20% of the time. So they shouldn't be considered carcinogenic? The whole point is effect size. Having an effect size of .2 compared to a population of 1B... is a lot.

Now how many MacBook Pros were sold with 8400's and 8600's? 5% of that is a HUGE problem.

It needs to be addressed. Don't try to throw some stats in there and think people will just walk away.

Sources:

Lee PN, Forey BA, Trends in cigarette consumption cannot fully explain trends in British lung cancer rates, J Epidemiol Community Health; 52(2):82-92 1998

Pandey M, Mathew A, Nair MK, Global perspective of tobacco habits and lung cancer: a lesson for third world countries. Eur J Cancer Prev 1999 Aug;8(4):271-9

13. cromwell64 macrumors regular

Since Nvidia refuses to address this properly we do not know how widespread the problem really is. From the reports I have seen the problem is not simply defective batches that made it into the wild, but rather a design flaw in the chip itself. If it is a flawed design than it does affect 100% of the gpus because 100% of them in the macbook pros use the same design. This does not mean that everyone has a gpu that is going to fail tomorrow, it only means that if this problem is real then the gpus will have a much shorter lifespan than they otherwise would.

Also, failure rates above 1% are perfectly acceptable to technology companies. If I knew of a company that could keep their failure rates below that I would buy their products religiously.

14. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

Is it MAYBE possible that Nvidia itself doesn't know how serious the problem is, and is doing their best to get to the bottom of it?

Just because they set aside $200 million doesn't mean they expect to need it--it means they're making sure to cover their bases if they DO need it.

Neither Nvidia nor Apple has the goal of screwing you or selling you defective merchandise. If Nvidia did, then Apple would stop working with them. If Apple did, then we'd stop buying their products.

Somebody made a mistake, they announced what they knew when they knew it, and they're now probably trying to sort it out.

In the meantime, give them the benefit of the doubt, enjoy your mac, and buy applecare. If something pops up, they'll fix or replace it for you, as the warranty states.

(Note: As you can see, my MBP has already shown signs that it may have been among the defective. But that doesn't mean I need to start multiple threads to rant and rave about it.)

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's been said that the defect percentage of Apple IIIs was 100%.

And no, you're wrong about that if the people with yellowing MacBooks, core-shutdownning MacBook Airs, and display light columning MacBook Pros are not all liars... and there is more than just one problem per line. Still, you're right about THOSE problems being around 5-20% of the computers out there.

16. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

And Paint-flaking TiBooks :D

Yeah I had a friend with a MacBook that looked like he'd burned it or something... it was all yellow.

17. m1stake macrumors 68000

LOL? if you read my post properly I said that the defect rate is probably between 5% and 20%, the point being that it was NOT 100% as some of these fools have convinced themselves of.

Thanks for citing your sources :rolleyes:

18. cube macrumors G4

OK, WHAT did Nvidia respond to WHO who asserted some are defective?

19. djgold macrumors newbie

They made a filing to the SEC on July 3 stating that they would set aside $200 - $300 million for defective chips. They absolutely expect to use it. All of it. The markets hate it when a company is wrong. Nvidia has a very strong incentive to be accurate about that figure because modifying it up or down at a later date represents a bigger hit to their stock price than the 25% they already took.

I don't think nVidia is willfully lying, to do so is to gamble with the future of the company. It simply isn't worth the risk to squeeze a few million out of computer buyers and OEMs. That said, it is entirely possible that they have their heads up their asses and truly are ignorant of the extent of the problem.

20. cromwell64 macrumors regular

Right, but if you have been paying attention then it you would have noticed that this appears to be a design flaw. If that is the case then it does affect 100% of the chips that use that design. That doesn't mean that 100% of them have failed already, but it does mean that all are prone to failure if it is indeed a flawed design.

21. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Being a librarian, you learn how to cite your sources well.

It may or may not be 100% The point is that if the media and doctors feel 20% when applied towards to whole population is a serious problem. Serious enough to make ads that say "smoking kills," why wouldn't a 20% defective rate of GPUs be considered serious?

22. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Man that is so hot. I want to be a librarian/date one haha. I'm not joking here either.

23. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Eh. You should see some of those girls in the classes.

The image of an old librarian comes to mind. Apparently, they don't grow into it. They come in that way! :eek:

Although there are one or two cute ones... ;)

My GF would kill me if she knew I posted that.

24. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Wait.. arnt librarians people that just organize books and charges people for overdue fees!?! Like blockbuster but for books??

25. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

This thread is taking a whole different purpose. We do much more than that.
    Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Librarian#Librarian_roles_and_duties

Personally, I'm getting my Masters in Library and Information Science (MLIS) with a focus on information science. That means I'm much more cool than normal librarians. Think like making iPhone apps for ebooks. Reals ones that can interconnect with library servers to allow check out of ebooks via the iPhone. (iBookReader?) lol.

This is more like the type of stuff that is for me: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_science#Topics_in_information_science