Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Yes, another one of these threads... but I need your help!

Okay. I need some help here. Last year, I got an iPhone 6 Plus. I liked it a lot, but I had one issue with it: it was ever so slightly too large. When you put it in your pants, you know it's there. Cycling or running with the device is just uncomfortable.

Also, I believed it didn't perform well. Apps getting flushed out of memory (RAM), meaning multitasking was utterly annoying on this device.

So, this year, I decided, I am going from an iPhone 6 Plus to an iPhone 6S.

It would solve all my problems: performance would definitely go up and I'd own a more mobile device.
I sold my iPhone 6 Plus and I've been using an older iPhone 4S two weeks now.

So.. what's the problem?
I'm starting having second thoughts about my decision to get a 4.7" 6S. For example, I'm a bit worried about battery life. I would categorize myself as a heavy user and the 6 Plus is the first iPhone - since the 3GS - that I've owned I believe has actually all-day battery life.

Secondly, the display's pixel density. Like I said, I'm back on an iPhone 4S now... and the display is... well, I wouldn't say 'fuzzy', but it's definitely not as sharp as I remembered it to be! The iPhone 6 Plus has a truly excellent display. I've come to the realization that I am going to miss the higher pixel density!

Thirdly, the jump from the A8 chip to the A9 chip is quite a bit bigger than I expected. I believe I now no longer need to worry about multitasking and regular performance.

Lastly, the display's size. While it's a bit bothersome when carrying around, it's really great using the device. One scenario I didn't think about at all, but something that I used a lot, is car navigation! The 6 Plus' display is amazing for navigation, as it gives you a clear overview of the upcoming road situation without getting distracted. Surely, it won't be bad on a 4.7" iPhone... but it won't be as good either.

So, what to do? Your thoughts?
Like I said, I was all set on a 4.7" iPhone 6. But using an older, and even smaller, iPhone S for a few weeks... I've come to the realization that I really liked the 5.5" iPhone... except for its large size due to the huge bezels.

The large size of the 6S Plus is huge disadvantage, but I'm worried that the 4.7" 6S display and battery life are an even bigger disadvantage.

Too Long Didnt Read said:
Too Long Didnt Read
I was set on upgrading from an iPhone 6 Plus to a 6S Plus. What I didn't like on the 6 Plus was:

- Large device (bezels too big)
- Performance (occassional stutter + bad multitasking)

But, I've come to love:

- High pixel density, much better than on the 4.7" model
- Battery life is really amazing

Since the 6S Plus fixes the performance issue, my only reason to go for the 4.7" model is the device's size. And I'm just not sure if that's worth losing the amazing display and battery life.

Last edited:

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon

Okay. I need some help here. Last year, I got an iPhone 6 Plus. I liked it a lot, but I had one issue with it: it was ever so slightly too large. When you put it in your pants, you know it's there. Cycling or running with the device is just uncomfortable.

Also, I believed it didn't perform well. Apps getting flushed out of memory (RAM), meaning multitasking was utterly annoying on this device.

It would solve all my problems: performance would definitely go up and I'd own a more mobile device.

So.. what's the problem?
I'm starting having second thoughts about my decision to get a 4.7" 6S. For example, I'm a bit worried about battery life. I would categorize myself as a heavy user and the 6 Plus is the first iPhone - since the 3GS - that I've owned I believe has actually all-day battery life.

Secondly, the display's pixel density. Like I said, I'm back on an iPhone 4S now... and the display is... well, I wouldn't say 'fuzzy', but it's definitely not as sharp as I remembered it to be! The iPhone 6 Plus has a truly excellent display. I've come to the realization that I am going to miss the higher pixel density!

Thirdly, the jump from the A8 chip to the A9 chip is quite a bit bigger than I expected. I believe I now no longer need to worry about multitasking and regular performance.

Lastly, the display's size. While it's a bit bothersome when carrying around, it's really great using the device. One scenario I didn't think about at all, but something that I used a lot, is car navigation! The 6 Plus' display is amazing for navigation, as it gives you a clear overview of the upcoming road situation without getting distracted. Surely, it won't be bad on a 4.7" iPhone... but it won't be as good either.

Like I said, I was all set on a 4.7" iPhone 6. But using an older, and even smaller, iPhone S for a few weeks... I've come to the realization that I really liked the 5.5" iPhone... except for its large size due to the huge bezels.

The large size of the 6S Plus is huge disadvantage, but I'm worried that the 4.7" 6S display and battery life are an even bigger disadvantage.

I've loved my 6+. But I've toyed with the idea of downsizing several times. I love the big screen but sometimes it gets to be too much. I'm going to stick with the 6s+ because I think I'd be disappointed with the smaller screen!

I just wish they would do a middle size...like the Galaxy s6, it's 5.1 inches. Perfect size! C'mon Apple!

Reactions: ikenstein

MikesGravity

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Southeast MI

So.. what's the problem?

What the poster above me said plus it is sounding like the 6S+ is so powerful and has the additional RAM to fix the performance issues of the previous model.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I bought a 6 plus last year on launch. I have loved it, in spite of the issues you raised, mostly for the battery life. My brother has a 6 and for fun, we switched for a month or so. I could not wait to switch back!

I can't help but notice the first thing on your list is battery life. If that's what's most important, you will be disappointed going from a plus to a 6.

The performance will improve greatly with the new 6s plus, and the battery life will still be better than the 6s. Says the person patiently waiting for Friday's pickup of her new 6s Plus.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I say stick with the smaller 6s. It's significantly more portable and pocketable than the 6s+. You're not going to miss the hit in battery life or decrease in pixel density at all.

RossMak

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I love my 6+ but iv never dropped a phone so much in my life. Just my expierence. I am on the clumsy side though.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have some awesome anecdotal evidence that I can share.

I have had an iPhone 6 Plus since the day it was released. Well, about 2 weeks ago I switched to a regular 6 to get in on the T-Mobile pre-labor day promo. Having used the regular 6 for 2 weeks, I am counting down the days until Friday and I get my 6s Plus. I miss the plus terribly!

Here's what I miss:

Larger size - Going to a phone under 5" is really hard. It feels like I'm back in 2010 again
Screen - Some say the eye can't tell the difference but the screen on the Plus is so much crisper to me and the fact that it's larger makes it all the more wonderful
Battery life - The 6 is nowhere near as good as my 6 plus. I miss it.
Landscape - I miss the landscape mode on the homescreen and in the implementation of certain apps.
OIS - This isn't as big a deal but I do notice my pics in lower light are a bit worse, could be just me but OIS is nice

To be fair, some things I don't miss:

Orientation issues - My plus would get stuck in landscape, not rotate back from one to other and such. Sometimes a hard restart would be needed
Not quite as zippy - The regular 6 is a bit zippier. My 6 plus lagged doing some things. This will (should) be much improved in the S version of the plus
Smaller - It's easier to carry around the 6 but the trade offs still aren't worth it to me.

So in summary, I can never go back to a 4.7" iPhone after using the plus.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
I've loved my 6+. But I've toyed with the idea of downsizing several times. I love the big screen but sometimes it gets to be too much. I'm going to stick with the 6s+ because I think I'd be disappointed with the smaller screen!

I just wish they would do a middle size...like the Galaxy s6, it's 5.1 inches. Perfect size! C'mon Apple!
I think that I can deal with the smaller screen size, though. I'm going to miss the larger display, but 4.7" is 'good enough'.

What the poster above me said plus it is sounding like the 6S+ is so powerful and has the additional RAM to fix the performance issues of the previous model.
Yes, exactly. This was perhaps my number 1 annoyance on the 6 Plus: bad (multitasking) performance. That said, the big bezels (resulting in a bigger than necessary device) are a close runner-up in annoyance.

I bought a 6 plus last year on launch. I have loved it, in spite of the issues you raised, mostly for the battery life. My brother has a 6 and for fun, we switched for a month or so. I could not wait to switch back!

I can't help but notice the first thing on your list is battery life. If that's what's most important, you will be disappointed going from a plus to a 6.

The performance will improve greatly with the new 6s plus, and the battery life will still be better than the 6s. Says the person patiently waiting for Friday's pickup of her new 6s Plus.
Sucks to hear. Battery life is very important to me. The iPhone 4S I'm using now is constantly dying, though it's clearly a few years old (and has likely a decreased capacity) - but even when I had the iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 as brand new devices, I had trouble keeping them 'alive'.

I say stick with the smaller 6s. It's significantly more portable and pocketable than the 6s+. You're not going to miss the hit in battery life or decrease in pixel density at all.
It's definitely more portable and pocketable. It's the most important reason why I am considering going from 5.5" to 4.7". That said, I worry about battery life... and the pixel density (at 326 ppi) is definitely not as nice as the higher 401 ppi on the Plus.

Huh? The battery life on the Plus models are significantly better.

I recommend getting bigger pants.
I always carry my phone in my pants and while standing, or something like that, it's no problem. But if you are active, like cycling, than it is bothersome...

I love my 6+ but iv never dropped a phone so much in my life. Just my expierence. I am on the clumsy side though.
I dropped it maybe two or three times in a full year.

I have some awesome anecdotal evidence that I can share.

I have had an iPhone 6 Plus since the day it was released. Well, about 2 weeks ago I switched to a regular 6 to get in on the T-Mobile pre-labor day promo. Having used the regular 6 for 2 weeks, I am counting down the days until Friday and I get my 6s Plus. I miss the plus terribly!

Here's what I miss:

Larger size - Going to a phone under 5" is really hard. It feels like I'm back in 2010 again
Screen - Some say the eye can't tell the difference but the screen on the Plus is so much crisper to me and the fact that it's larger makes it all the more wonderful
Battery life - The 6 is nowhere near as good as my 6 plus. I miss it.
Landscape - I miss the landscape mode on the homescreen and in the implementation of certain apps.
OIS - This isn't as big a deal but I do notice my pics in lower light are a bit worse, could be just me but OIS is nice

To be fair, some things I don't miss:

Orientation issues - My plus would get stuck in landscape, not rotate back from one to other and such. Sometimes a hard restart would be needed
Not quite as zippy - The regular 6 is a bit zippier. My 6 plus lagged doing some things. This will (should) be much improved in the S version of the plus
Smaller - It's easier to carry around the 6 but the trade offs still aren't worth it to me.

So in summary, I can never go back to a 4.7" iPhone after using the plus.
I agree with you on the pixel density, though it's not a dealbreaker. Optical Image Stabilization is not that important to me, but it definitely sucks to hear that battery life is 'nowhere near as good' as on the Plus-model.

I am fully expecting the battery life of the 4.7" model to be worse than the 5.5", but going on your experiences and the experiences of others in this thread.. it's not even comparable. :\

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Going by these numbers, the 6 should last a day pretty easily. You can always bring along a power pack if necessary, though I guess that would defeat the purpose of it being more portable.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    197.5 KB · Views: 173

iNinja08

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
Borrow a friends iPad Pro for a few days before you make your decision.. then the 6s+ wont seem so large anymore.

Seriously though if you're doubting your intuition this much, just go with the 6s+. It sounds like you will dread low battery life, and at least with the 6s+ you know there are no better options and you did the "best" you could do. Or, if youre comfortable with a battery booster phone/case you could go that route with the 6s, but then when your buddy pulls out his ***** *** you'll be jealous and second guess yourself.. Or you'll call him stupid for having a jumbotron in his pocket.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I'm sizing down. Cant stand the brick in my pocket. The plus is a PIA to carry. If I regret, I will size up for iPhone 7. Which I hope is more of a bezel free phone.

Reactions: Rm.237 and bchreng

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Borrow a friends iPad Pro for a few days before you make your decision.. then the 6s+ wont seem so large anymore.

Seriously though if you're doubting your intuition this much, just go with the 6s+. It sounds like you will dread low battery life, and at least with the 6s+ you know there are no better options and you did the "best" you could do. Or, if your comfortable with a battery booster phone/case you could go that route with the 6s, but then when your buddy pulls out his ***** *** you'll be jealous and second guess yourself.. Or you'll call him stupid for having a jumbotron in his pocket.

The iPad Pro isn't out yet. I take it you mean iPad Mini.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
After owning a 6 plus for the past 9 months I have to say that the battery life is about the only real advantage.

Barely any apps support landscape mode and as such over time I just switched to zoomed to disable it. The way it's looking most developers will continue to ignore this feature of the larger device.

It's still slower than the smaller phone. While I do believe the improved hardware will greatly improve the pitiful multitasking and performance that was on the 6 plus, the 6s will still be smoother.

OIS isn't a big deal and most wouldn't even know the difference in the pictures if Apple didn't tell them the larger model had OIS.

It does indeed fit in most of my pockets but it's still not as comfortable as the 4.7". It's not possible to go on runs comfortably and it can be a noticeable annoyance in the gym.

So if battery is your number one concern then get the 5.5". Otherwise go for the 4.7".

Reactions: bchreng

iNinja08

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
It does indeed fit in most of my pockets but it's still not as comfortable as the 4.7". It's not possible to go on runs comfortably and it can be a noticeable annoyance in the gym.
Im baffled why the jogging with the + is such a hard concept for everybody.. they make arm bands for them :p
4309335259_67baedb49c.jpg

Reactions: ShiggyMiyamoto

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
Going by these numbers, the 6 should last a day pretty easily. You can always bring along a power pack if necessary, though I guess that would defeat the purpose of it being more portable.
I've generally found Apple's battery numbers (regarding iPhone) to be inaccurate.

A battery case might be an option, yes. It will make the device a bit bigger, but still quite a bit smaller than the Plus.

Coreless apples

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Long Island
Last year I order the 6 Plus because I thought it would be cool to finally experience an iPhone in that size. I mean it's what we all wanted right? I've been an iPhone user since Christmas of 2007 when the original silver and black backed iPhone made its debut. Ever since I had the plus it definitely had better battery life and also a better screen especially since it's 1080p vs 720p on the 6.

Not too long ago I had the opportunity to switch to an iPhone 6, so I felt as though it'd be something new so I tried it. At first it was great finally having a device that you could use one handed and easily store within your pants pocket. As I kept using the phone and time went on I grew to realize that my screen wasn't as crisp as it was when I had the PLUS not to mention my phone would be decreasing in percentage much quicker too.

So if you could guess by now this time around I ended up pre ordering the 6S Plus. I'm very excited to get the size, display, and battery life back! I never really noticed a difference with the OIS. The camera on any iPhone 6 or above is fantastic in its own way. So I think the PLUS is a bigger hit this year and more people will be joining me in switching back or trying something new such as going from the 6 to the PLUS. You could get used to the size. Bigger is always better

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I had the 6 for 4 months and the last 8 with the 6 plus. I am getting the 6S for sure. I love the big screen but hate everything else. I used a 6 for a couple of days just to see... and loved it.

Forget jogging... Even if I want to go for a walk I have to make sure the pocket size will work for the 6 plus. Just not worth it anymore. My wife wanted my 6 plus until she used it for a couple of days too... She was glad to give it back.

Texting on the 6S isn't as good as I fat finger the 6 plus even... but I can deal with that.

Reactions: bchreng

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
While probably true, at what point does it stop being noticeably faster? I think we are almost there, if not there already, based on the reviews.

I don't know if it ever will. The only time I notice though is when playing 3D games. As long as they keep developing stuff that really pushes the hardware, the smaller iPhone will always be faster.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
man i'm torn on a variety of levels:

1) wait for jailbreak or go for it now and sell 6+ when iOS 9 comes out
2) burn upgrade or wait for 7
3) 6s or 6s+ from 6+

Had a 6s+ preorder going, cancelled due to confusion

conflicted for a lot of the same reasons

#firstworldproblems #hotmessofanerd #hashtaggingonamessageboard

Reactions: ShiggyMiyamoto
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.