Now I know why no Quad Core CPU in iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by redman042, Mar 17, 2012.

1. redman042 macrumors 68020

I think we all realize now that the LAST thing Apple could afford to do with the design of the iPad 3 was increase power consumption further. They've already stuffed a huge battery in there which takes nearly twice as long to charge, adds weight, and even makes the back a little warm. This is all to power that display and LTE radio. Adding a quad core would have made it worse.

And of course obviously it's an issue of profit margin too. And the dual core is still nice and fast on the iPad 3.

But now that I've had a solid day with this thing, I realize that Apple rode the ragged edge on acceptable power consumption to make this design work. Not that I mind, the retina display is oh so worth it.

2. WLS macrumors 65816

Yes people are complaining now about the warm/hot spot on their iPad which is above the CPU. I have WIFI only so I don't thinnk it is from LTE. People wanted a retina display and they got it, I don't see how Apple could have done much more and kept the same price point. Next year for the A6

3. erawsd macrumors 6502

Eh, I still don't see much of an advantage to quad cores in a Tablet. Most aren't doing any hardcore image/video processing and multitasking is minimal.

4. LanEvo macrumors 6502

Yea, quad-core is just RAW POWER!! where tablets do not really need that, in laptop and such yes, but tablets not so much. Which is why they went for the quad-core graphics. Either way, it would have been nice to have the quad-core. Next year should be the quad-core era, when they can bump the size down to 32nm or maybe even 25nm of the chips.

5. newdeal macrumors 68020

Next year will be quad core, and igzo screen so thinner and lighter again. The retina dispaly really does nothing for me to be honest

6. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Cost is an issue and I think they want to wait for next year to put one in. That way it looks like a big upgrade.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The only reason I upgraded from the iPad 2 was for the screen. I love it.

8. tips macrumors member

More than quad-core, I was hoping for a Siri in the latest ipad.
    I do not own a iphone 4s, but I heard its lot more fun talking/listening and its kind of good for kids 2-10 to pass time. This helps watch screen less but still get the entertainment factor needed for kids especially.

Waiting to order online the latest ipad.

9. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

Incremental upgrades. One step at a time.

Just enough of a technology bump to get folks to buy it.

Not too much of a bump so the price and margins can stay in the sweet spot.

10. redman042 thread starter macrumors 68020

The fact that knowledgeable technical people seriously doubted Apple could scale up retina display technology to the iPad size while maintaining speed and battery life is a testament to what they pulled off here.

11. ktmracer350 macrumors member

Along with keeping the same price point as the previous two releases is also pretty sweet.

12. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I agree with this. I'm usually a perennial upgrader when it comes to mobile devices but the inclusion of the retina display this cycle made me upgrade from the iPad 2 and I am so glad I did. This display is indescribable; it's definitely one of those things you have to see to believe.

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

Honestly there is no need for a quad core CPU in the new iPad. There are no applications that will push the iPad .

14. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

A quad core processor doesn't mean that power drain would necessarily be higher. The reason why it wasn't included was due to the fact that it currently isn't needed. The quad-core graphics chip was however needed to drive the Retina display. The unfortunate part of this since the Retina display is trying to drive 4x the pixels, we experience heat dissipation from the heat-sink strapped to the A5X. If it weren't for the Retina display, we would have had an iPad almost exactly like the iPad 2.

15. scriptlol macrumors member

Its amazing that we are to the point where the battery is the limiting factor in these devices instead of memory/speed/storage/etc. People always assume that the ipad is just packed full of circuit boards to do all the amazing things it does and when I send them the ifixit links, they are always blown away to find that most of the innards are battery and that the logic board is just a very small part of it.

I think by the iPad 5, the device will be very nearly perfect, and hopefully we will see some breakthroughs in battery tech.

16. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

From the reviews that I read, the one quad-core Android tablet still has more lag than the iPad 1, in regards to UI, Web and email. The main things I do with a tablet. The important thing is what you CAN do with a tablet, ie the apps, bc not everyone plays games and needs the highest scores on synthetic benchmarks.

Really, who wants to deal with a launcher app and a task manager, not 99% of the world. Many computer users think Windows XP is complex, they don't want a tablet with the same complexity. That's the one thing MS could do correctly but might not.

17. PPFee macrumors 6502

It is my understanding as well that there isn't a single tablet OS out there that can properly take advantage of quad core cpu's, both in respect to power management and just using the available HP effectively. That being said, ill wait for iOS to be optimized properly before demanding quad core.

18. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Technology progresses so as batteries get more powerful and CPUs get more efficient, they'll make their way into future generations.

19. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Honestly, the thing that Apple left out that I'm sour about is the front HD camera. Especially on such a high quality screen. :T

20. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

If the quad core was built on a much smaller process with better power management features (ie 3 cores are switched off most of the time or a tegra 3 style junior core) then it would probably have a longer battery life. More cores does not necessarily = more drain

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's unclear just noting your post, but you know that each of these ARM cores is still slower than each individual core seen in something like a macbook pro. If it was the only hardware element holding back application development on the ipad, I think they'd go for it.

This is a fairly common practice. Prices on other commodity items may not have shifted as much. In desktop displays it's pretty common for a design to last for 3-4 years. I doubt they'll change this one much for at least a couple cycles aside from smaller fixes to alleviate inconsistencies in manufacturing. People really don't need to purchase the latest one to own an ipad. I kind of wonder how many of them will be new purchases. Then of course there are a lot of people who buy one or two devices annually and redistribute the old model to family members.

Well this is a thing where the hardware really needs to be there first. It may also be an issue of ram. The storage system of the ipad uses much slower NAND. I doubt it's appropriate as swap space as you would see under OSX.

22. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

+2 .... If you get WiFi only version the display should really be the Only reason to upgarde!

But SOOOOOOOoooooo Worth it! I would Never Go Back :D

23. jjp007 macrumors regular

jjp007

LOVE THE RETINA DISPLAY!! The camera is pretty sweet too I'm happy.

24. Nemomnis macrumors newbie

That is the point. I barely understand how people will make total use of the 4x GPU...

25. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

You're just justifying Apple's moves. Its plain marketing, nothing more. The next iPad will have quad-core CPU along with better front and rear cameras, etc. Look at the original iPad and the iPad 2. The original iPad had 256MB which clearly wasn't sufficient. Most people upgraded to the iPad 2. The iPad 2 had crap cameras, now there's a descent one in the new iPad. Thats just the way marketing works, stop defending it.