Now it's clear: no need to wait in line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jwilldj, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Jwilldj macrumors newbie

There are only 30 ppl at 7am at apple store. They've distributed the cards and it looks like they're having a large stock. No need to wait in the line for five hours. I should just come at 8am and grab one... Ther are less than 10 ppl at att.

What's the situation elsewhere? but at least I get the models i want!

2. Dwhite78 macrumors regular

its not like that everywhere. Lots of people outside the local verizon store when I drove by on the way to work. By lots, I mean at least 150 people

3. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

4. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing this.

I just rode by some local(Raleigh/Durham) stores and this is what I found.

AT&T
    6:20am
    about 20 people in line

Sprint
    6:30am
    no people in line, 2 people waiting in their car

Verizon
    6:30am
    no people in line, 1 person waiting in their car

Best Buy
    6:35am
    no people in line

Radio Shack
    6:35am
    no people in line

I preordered my 4S with Sprint. Based on what I've seen, I don't think I will next year.

5. NateDMB macrumors regular

NateDMB

Don't speak so soon. If Apple drops a redesign next year, you might as well get in line now. I also drove by my local Apple Store this morning. There were at least 100 people in line.

6. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I don't know we'll see. This is the first release with multiple carriers. It might make preordering not necessary anymore. It's convenient and all but even if I have to wait an hour or two in line at an Apple Store, I think I'd rather do that just for the experience. Heck, I would even choose to do that over walking right into a Sprint store and getting phone with no waiting.

7. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Even in the pouring rain there's about 50 people in front of the Reston Apple Store at 7:15 AM.

8. Jman13 macrumors 68000

As I dropped my daughter off this morning around 7AM, I passed an AT&T store, a Verizon store and a Best Buy. AT&T had about 9 people, Best Buy had about 10 people and Verizon had about 15 people. I bet most people in Columbus (where I live) are at the Apple Store at Easton, though.

9. b24pgg macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

10. mctrees02 macrumors member

Arrived at Best Buy at 7:20 and nobody in line. Looks like one guy waiting in his car.

11. iTundra macrumors member

iTundra

Not much for lines here at any stores. Buddy at Verizon just told me they got a bunch of 16Gb, but nothing else. Apparently the same with other Verizon stores.

12. sdapplefan macrumors newbie

Hopefully that's not the case at the Verizon I'm waiting at right now. I'm hoping to get a white 32GB.

13. Kflik macrumors member

No lines in here.

Verizon, AT&T, Best Buy, Sprint...all walk in and walk out.

Pre Orders took a lot of slack off apple this year (except of course for major markets, you most likely will see lines in Columbus, miami, LA, NYC, Nashville, Chicago etc..)

anywhere else your fine!

14. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I was thinking earlier, with so much if the tech the same on the 4S the learning curve on assembly had to be essentially nil. It allowed them to make plenty of stock compared to last year when the design was so different than anything done before on any phone.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think the amount of pre-orders suggested that the lines may be shorter today. However, I would not want to wait around for a phone. That experience does not excite me like it may others. I'll pre-order again because even waiting until 11 pm Friday (10/7) I still get my phone today, which I find remarkable.

16. therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

Not gonna lie. I look down on people who queue up all night.

17. stupendousman8 macrumors newbie

I really think that after all these years, people are figuring out that pre-order and delivery is easier than standing in long lines, then maybe not getting a phone. I've had 3 other iPhones and this is the first one I pre-ordered.

That may be why the iPhone 4 shattered pre-order records despite just being a minimal upgrade.

Time is valuable.

18. Theod0re macrumors member

I've got one reserved at the only apple store in pretty decent-sized/populated area, in a mall. I'm wondering if it's worth it to head over there now.

19. mctrees02 macrumors member

I stopped in at an AT&T store at 7:58 AM this morning. Was helped by 815 and had my phone ready to go before 8:30. They even provided free coffee & donuts/bagels! Let's see if your UPS guys brings that today! :p

(disclaimer - I've never queued up for a lengthy period of time for a phone. I save those times only for the life altering BBQ of Franklin BBQ in Austin.)

20. iPaddy macrumors 6502

That might be the case in the US, but here in the UK there were over 500 people outside the Manchester shop at around 10:00am this morning, and they've now sold out of all 4s.

Manchester being a major city...

21. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

My trip to the AT&T store couldn't have gone smoother this morning. I got there about 6:50 am (they open at 8). There were 12 people in line in front of me. Within 20 minutes, there were about 40-50 people in line.

About 7:50, the manager walks out and tells us they're going to take the first 10 people inside at 8. Then they'll rotate 1-in 1-out from there on. Then he smiles and says "we've got PLENTY of stock, so nobody worry...if you want an iPhone, you're gonna get an iPhone". That got a little cheer out of the people in line...lol.

I was motioned inside at about 8:02 and was finished, 4S in hand (and in an Otterbox Commuter) at 8:14. Unbelievably quick. And the guy doing my upgrade was awesome, friendly, and so helpful. I'm definitely going to email the store and let the manager know how great my experience was and let him/her know how great the customer service guy was.

Best experience I've ever had at an AT&T store, bar none.

22. 00trayn macrumors member

Oh wow, that's right where I live (like a mile away)! I'm happy I don't have to wait in line for Apple Care + now that I have til Nov 14th to get it. The weather is miserable here today though to have to wait outside.

23. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

I said it long ago... Apple made enough this time, all returning customers pre-ordered, and the phone isn't different enough to grab many new customers. Thus, do not expect lines or shortages.

24. thespazz macrumors 6502a

My ATT store only had 40 phones and I was number 5. Dude said I was right to wait around 6.

25. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Key words being "Raleigh/Durham". An actual big city, top market, like Los Angeles, there was at least 75 people outside one AT&T store, and a line around half the apple store on my way to work. And that was on my main 15 mile commute to work.

Just saying' it can flip flop, just because you dont have lines in a small area doesn't mean othr big areas don't.

People of LA get in line, by noon you should have one. I have a friend at the Topanga Store his name is Nate if you meet him say hello for me!