Now on my fourth!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by glanv, Aug 9, 2008.

1. glanv macrumors regular

Dear all

My first iPhone had light leak, second had a chipped corner and the third started developing cracks around the headphone jack. Today a genius at the local Apple Store replaced the third for the now fourth iPhone. However, this visit was a little different in that he took a look down the headphone port and looked around the adapter area with a lit magnifying device (similar to what doctors use to look in your ear). He then asked the following questions:

- Have you dropped the iPhone?
    - Where do you carry it: front pocket, back pocket, bag?
    - Do you use a case and which one?

There may have been another question but I don't remember. Anyone else been asked these questions?

The new phone seems OK, apart from a stuck pixel, which I can live with - and also I am led to believe I can 'unstick' (if anyone can help with advice here please do). I am a little worried about cracks appearing but the genius did say if you have any problems with that one bring it back and they'd swap it out again! I have to say Apple have been brilliant to me all the way through this!

Cheers!

2. stevearm macrumors 6502a

They'd be more brilliant if they didn't sell sub-standardly built devices and terrible, completely buggy software to go with it to millions of people around the world...

3. glanv thread starter macrumors regular

I agree that the second iPhone hasn't quite been a good experience so far for me - build quality wise that is. I don't have any problems with the software though. Had a bit of lag here and there but that will get better as they release updates. There's only so much testing you can do in a lab, other problems come out when tested empirically. As long as Apple keep replacing my faulty units (hopefully this one won't be) can I ask for anything more?

Have you had problems with your iPhone then?

4. RobLikesBrunch macrumors regular

I think the doctor-like device is to check for water damage. There's an indicator at the bottom of the headphone jack.

5. BobboZR2 macrumors regular

6. stevearm macrumors 6502a

You're joking right? You only have to take a quick look at the pages on this board to see just how awful this 2.0 software is. Universally bad it seems.

7. ValientHimself macrumors member

Because a couple of whiny fanboys on a forum is now indicative of the global populace of users? My completely unscientific guess would be that ninety percent of the complaints fielded here are ludicrous in nature anyways.

I bought an iPhone 3G last week and don't have a single issue with it. Software is great, as is the hardware.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

To be universally bad, I would have to agree with you.

I don't.

9. devman macrumors 65816

devman

nicely done :)

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

but taking a longer look, you find that lots of those are
    "ZOMG something that was blue in 1.1.4 is now grey! I want my blue button back Apple! Fix it NOW!!!"
    and more realistically
    "SMS APP takes 1/10 of a second longer to open!! Apple dropped the ball with 2.0"
    pretty much not a problem at all

and seriously, if your looking at a forum that is a great place for people to find help with their problems, then you expect to find people with problems. people whose iPhones work fine rarely start threads to say so. and with good reason. there's no point.

your comment is like saying a product is bad because when you look at the support forum on the site you only see problems listed there.

its too bad you have been unlucky, but that is not the case for everyone. far from it

11. pintnight macrumors 6502

OCD much? IMO the tiny cracks are just annoyances that I can live with. I do have one on the corner but it doesn't effect me or the way the phone operates.

12. danielforman macrumors regular

I will soon be able to match you. My fifth is on it's way from O2-UK as we speak. Should be here Tuesday and I'm hoping its got no problems.

First power button came loose after couple of weeks then the other have had dust under the glass and two I noticed had light leak. Though I would live with the dust on my fourth one as it was probably getting in at the factory but in 2 days it got a load more in due to where the light was leaking from.

I can live with some defects like a rough edge where the bezel doesn't meet the case properly but dust getting under the glass I don't find acceptable. Really for the money we pay all iPhones should be high quality and especially with it being Apple.

If my next one has problems I will be contacting Apple directly and asking how do I get a good iPhone? Unfortunately I'm 2 hours away from an Apple store so not very convenient for me to book an appointment and go see a Genius.

13. Soreo macrumors regular

Soreo

I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky for having an almost-completely fine iPhone 3G, (knock on wood). I haven't had any problems with it- the only things that I would consider problems are minor, like:

-very, VERY small light leaks
    -very small cracks near the universal dock- this sort of annoys me but it's no biggie
    -still a little laggy

The only major problem I'm worrying about right now is my battery life. It's a little whack

Sorry. I had to brag.
    :)

14. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

Holy crap this thread reeks of OCD.
    Seriously, aren't there more important things going on in your life?

15. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

why is it wrong to expect a brand-new, extremely expensive device, to be free of cracks, light leaks, dust under the screen, etc?

there might be the slight smell of ocd, but...

i expect the iPhone to start off as close to perfect as possible. if they're cracking and have manufacturing defect out of the box, what do you think they'll be like 16 months into the contract?

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Most people are completely happy with their phone. People don't come on a forum to say how great a product is, they come on to bitch if it doesn't work.

Statistically speaking, I'd guess 90% of people are perfectly happy, and of the other 10%, 90% of those are stupid people who replace over the stupidest little thing, like I'm afraid to say many on this forum, and Apple for some reason are giving them a replacement.

How anyone can claim light shining through is a defect is beyond me. I guess Apple are trying to build a reputation as a company with great customer service by replacing these near perfect products.

17. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

My phone has the light leak issue to a minor degree, but the backlighting on the phone is terribly uneven when watching a movie in a low-light environment.

I'm afraid to ask for a replacement, as I know the Geniuses at my local Apple store can be quite rude if they feel like you are wasting their time begging for a product exchange.

How do they test the light leak/bad backlight. it is only terrible in low light environments and the Apple store is lit up like a fluorescent Christmas tree.

18. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I agree with you about the lighting in the store. I got my replacement and it looked fine in the fluorescent land of Apple, but once I got home I noticed that the casing of the replacement phone has bubbles in it. Back to the Apple store I go. I'll be on my third replacement iPhone (16GB Black) this next time. :(:mad:

19. mpuck972 macrumors 6502

mpuck972

iPhone: It Just Works (ok, well most of the time)

20. Maxington macrumors 6502

Questions.

1. If you need to exchange an iPhone for an issue like cracks on the corners do they record that info anywhere?

2. When you get the new one is ALL the info the same as the last one if you do a revert from back-up?

21. J. Dangerously macrumors newbie

Yep! Everything.

22. stevearm macrumors 6502a

I'm constantly amazed by Apple fanboys trying to down-size the worldwide problems with this generation of iPhone. If this had been a Microsoft product everyone would be laughing at it and giving it negative reputation for the amount of bugs.

Simple syncs/backups taking 30-90 minutes
    apps crashing all the time
    stories of the phone getting stuck on the Apple logo until a restore is necessary (this has happened to me twice)
    menu lag
    keyboard lag
    light leak
    battery life issues
    a standard, advertised feature like GPS not working on 2.0.1
    iTunes showing 30+ updates are available when none are
    stuck pixels
    mobile me being a complete embarrassment to Apple
    cracks in the plastic casing
    disappearing sound issues
    3G signal reception dropping after 2.0.1

etc etc............

Obviously no one has ALL these problems at the same time, but they're the most common issues with this current generation of Apple products, and it's a complete and utter farce.

How they can be so stupid as to release a new software update that completely disables GPS locate me functionality on 50% of iPhones is beyond me.

Sorry to burst your bubble but those things doesn't exactly constitute an almost completely fine iPhone. If your GPS working?

23. glanv thread starter macrumors regular

Not quite, more just a case of wanting something new to be just that - new.

Also, it is worth considering that people who suffer from OCD may (or may not) feel a little insulted by your post. Just a thought.

24. PAH Mac macrumors member

Wow, I'm stunned that multiple folks are on their 5th phone. I feel very lucky to have a phone that seems fine (or maybe I'm just not very observant and my phone is cracked etc.). Software is a separate issue but people should definitely be able to expect to buy an undamaged phone considering this is a high-end piece of electronics. Were there so many complaints when the first iPhone came out?

25. jpvaz macrumors member

well, i think i'm gonna join you guys in the "eternal iphone swap-a-thon"...

1st one was on crack.... er... i mean... had cracks....

had to wait 5 days for a new one...

2nd one despite my best efforts to make it work, had a battery life of less then 1 hour....

had to wait 8 days for a new one...

3rd one i delivered today to get swapped because the bottom 3rd of the screen stopped working... i was getting e-mail's, sms's and phone calls all fine, then it stopped working and i couldn't even answer a call... by the end of the day i had 28 missed calls...

estimate to receive a new one is 15 days !!!

see a pattern here?!? each time i have to get a new phone, i wait longer and longer... this way, by the end of the year i'll have to wait 6 month's to get a new phone...

On the OCD remarks... nahhh... i don't have OCD... but i do have a nasty habit of wanting something that i payed 600€ ($895US) for to be and work perfectly when it arrives to my hands.