Now that google is backtracking on droid....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aibo82, Apr 2, 2011.

1. aibo82 macrumors 6502

Now that google is backtracking on droid and makeing it more of a closed os like apples, anyone wish steve kept his mouth shut over the whole fragmentation thing?

See if google carried open it would of just gone to the dogs :D:D:D that = Happy mr jobs :apple::apple::apple:

2. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

ANdroid.

ANdroid.

Not 'Droid'- that is Verizon's marketing term.

The operating system is called ANdroid.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think most get that he's talking about the android OS in general.
    And yes SJ had a good point but lets also look at the GSM and CDMA iphones now.
    They're not even up to the same firmware version.

4. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

Wow dude calm down. Who cares?

5. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Wait.. what's the operating system called on the droid?

6. hildey macrumors newbie

chromeOS?

7. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Really dude? Rage much? You see, it's like calling all soda coke or all protective adhesive wound coverings bandaids.... sure we know sprite isn't coke and Sam's Club brand isn't BAND-AID® so lighten up Francis, it'll all be ok.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

you mean steve was the only person to raise the fragmentation issue? I don't think so

Google isn't "closing" android but rather trying to exercise some level of control to diminish the level of fragmentation. Given that it's open source it will be difficult for them. Threatening not to give them any pre-release version is googles only weapon and it's not much of one

9. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

This OS you speak of would not be called Android would it?

10. scottgroovez macrumors regular

Having Android as a strong competitor to iOS is good for consumers. Means both products are striving to improve. Having Android "go to the dogs" doesn't benefit anyone other than Apple's shareholders.

11. lionqueen macrumors 6502

Looks like someone's got droid rage

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think google under Schmidt always envisioned android and it's marketplace to be completey free and open. Now that he's gone and google is noticing the level of fragmentation they're trying to pull back a bit

Would the threat of no prerelease code really stop HTC from changing android with their Sense UI? Motorola takes so long to provide updates I can't see how this threat would make them drop their motoblur ui either

Google opened pandoras box with android going open source they'll have a difficult time trying to exert control now because of that

I think they need to exercise more control over the OS and it's marketplace but I'm not sure they'll be entirely successful

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

There is more than enough room for Android in the market place. Choices are good for people and competition and FREE enterprise is always a winner for all of us. :p

14. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I suppose I do :D

15. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Did I miss something? :confused:

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, Google is trying to exert some level of control over the how android is being altered. That is they're not happy people are actually changing the open source operating system that they released.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Do people just drink paint thinner before coming to post on here? Because that ****'s not good for you....

18. Mr Bigs macrumors 6502a

Mr Bigs

Are you speaking from experience ?:rolleyes:

19. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

but there's essentially no difference between their firmwares...they've just chosen to have the CDMA version and GSM version carry different version numbers for some reason. Its not like Android where one gets 2.3 and new phones are still coming out with 2.1 (and no plans to upgrade). Its 4.2 vs 4.2.1 for iPhones

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True that, hope it never gets as bad as android fragmentation.

21. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

thats not what open source means. They can use the code to do whatever they want, but they can't then call the resulting OS android without Googles permission...and all those bundled Google apps (like youtube)? They already have to get permission (and pay I believe) to use them.

Its like, firefox is open source, but you cant build your own version and call it firefox without mozillas permission. Same thing here

22. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

which is what this move will prevent...it keeps Android from becoming obsolete by companies who refuse to support their devices past release

23. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Google isn't really backtracking...taking a new look, yes, but Android is still an open OS.

As for Job suggesting a move to Google, it only does us well...I don't care if Google's product is better, I just want smartphones better over all.

24. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Do you have concrete proof to back your claim?