Now that it's all said and done, Why 16 months?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MultiMediaWill, Oct 4, 2011.

1. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Why did it take Apple 16 months to do a very minor hardware update?

2. ajcadoo macrumors 6502

ajcadoo

I think its because they are too involved with too many projects at once. the redesigned antenna and mods to the chip and stuff probably caused a lot of trouble. im sure it wasnt easy to develop, but 16 months is far too long for what we got....

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I've said this once already, it is to merge the iPod Touch and iPhone events. The Classic may be killed off once and for all next iPod/iPhone event, with the launch of a 128GB iPod Touch.

This way, iPod touch users will not have to wait to get the new features that the iPhone received, nor where they will be able to base what they are going to get with the iPhone launch a couple months beforehand.

This was mainly to merge the two events.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

5. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I have heard they had problems with manufacturing the A5 processor. It could also be that they needed more time to finish iOS5 and Siri. Yes, Siri is not complete, but they may have needed more time to get it to a stage where they could show it off.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not a minor hardware update.

It's twice the CPU power, 7x graphics, EVEN better camera, totally redesigned antenna system with better battery life.

That's no mean feat.

I think the great technology is really being wasted on a group of entitled cry-babies who have no idea the amount of work and effort that goes into getting not just a fast, capable phone on the market but one that works as smoothly and effortlessly as an iPhone.

I've tried the Galaxy S II. It's no iPhone 4 let alone a 4S, just doesn't have that level of polish I come to expect from a high-end product.

People (nobody on this forum counts as "people") don't care about spec, they care about it working.

7. h00ligan macrumors 68030

How do you figure that? They bought it....

Sure it has been tied into previously unusable API,s...but it hasn't exactly changed much since it was a downloadable app.

16 months tying it to the OS? This guy is running it on a first gen iPhone afaik.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AohzWSkAU7c

8. TLewis macrumors 65816

It's probably a combination of software development time (iCloud, among others, isn't exactly child's play once you throw in a massive scalability requirement, not to mention multiple backend support) and the fact that Apple needed to stagger the iPhone and iPad releases 6 months apart (to minimize the sales of one affecting the sales of the other).

9. cward0715 macrumors regular

Nope. The Siri app I've had for months has the ability to do everything that was listed in the keynote.

10. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Lol. Voted down for educating someone. Ah mr.

11. cward0715 macrumors regular

Well although I agree with some points, the A5 has been out for almost a years now.

12. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Because Apple knows they can do whatever the hell they want to and the public will still do this?...

[​IMG]

13. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Given that the technology was already available, the better CPU, graphics battery, camera and antenna could not be why it took 16 months.

MAYBE, if they had to redesign the whole phone to make the components work without causing explosions or fires...but it's painfully obvious that a new design wasn't the cause for the wait for the 4S.

Btw - the totally redesigned antenna system? Really? How hard would that be for a MAJOR PHONE MANUFACTURER? You don't see any other company out there touting their antennas...it's only because apple screwed up that the new antenna design was even mentioned.

hahaha...the "wtf?!" quote of the day!?

14. iMacC2D, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  15. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Ohhh...ok...I get it now. If that's what he/she meant then:

"[Fanboys] don't care about spec, they care about it working."

There. Fixed.

16. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

There appears to be tens of millions fanboys pushing the iPhone to be the #1 smartphone in the world and bringing Apple at the top of smartphone handset makers.

17. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

For now.

But even Apple's own presentation today showed that the competitors are catching up. And the iPhone 4S won't do anything to widen the margins...

Is the competition gaining because people think the iPhone has stopped working? Maybe. Or maybe people have just started to realize that other phones work too. And they might even work better for some things. Or maybe they just want better specs. Or...maybe Google has a better brain-washing formula. Dun dun dun.

18. TLewis, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

TLewis macrumors 65816

(OK, I'll bite.)

Perhaps the 4S won't, but the 3GS will. You'd be surprised at how many people balk at paying for a phone, but will sign up for some expensive monthly plan that costs major $$$ over the contract. It's like total math fail, but they go for it anyway. (Edit: why the 3GS? Because, as evidenced on this site, lots of people think that they need an iPhone, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg WARNING: lots of swearing and 4-letter words.)

The only real mistake that Apple is doing is not allowing T-Mobile to sell an iPhone. Having an iPhone on all of the major (US) carriers would really put a dent in android. (On the other hand, if the T-Mobile sale goes through, that would solve the problem, too.)

19. sevimli macrumors 6502a

It has nothing to do with r&d or production difficulties etc etc.

Apple just wanted to the shift their product launch close to holiday "shopping" season. got it?

20. TLewis macrumors 65816

... and move the iPhone release date as far as possible from the iPad release date, so that sales of one doesn't affect the other.

21. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

"[People] don't care about spec, they care about it working."

there. I fixed it again.

I don't care if my iPhone or mac has a 100MHZ Processor or 3GHz Processor. It's mostly all about the Software. As long everything is smooth and fast I'm alright, people are alright. This is why the buy Apple products, it works, it's easy, it's smooth. If you want fastest processors and best specs, go buy a Windows PC and HTC Phone, because Apple products overall just haven't best specs and this is alright.

22. getKaos macrumors member

I don't think this was about shifting the launch schedule, and I think well see iPhone 5 out in June 2012.

It almost appears that they were holding it back for iOS 5 and Siri.

23. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Besides wanting to consolidate the idevice event, they did have issues like the stupid white iPhone to contend with. There would've been hell to pay if they started selling the white and then introduced the new one a month later. Just imagine the riot.

24. beosound3200 macrumors 6502a

oh jesus, it appears that the average age on this forum is about 10-12

its the normal cycle, like intels tick-tock, one year internals, another externals...

so with iphone 4s you get 2x cpu!!!!!, 7x gpu!!!!!, better camera (probably will be the best in the segment!!!!!), very good battery life!!!!, ios 5 with all the things they put in it, siri, better antenna (remains to be seen, but im sure they've put in a lot of hard work in it, cdma/gsm in one) and so on...

im absolutely positive that all the reviews will be GREAT and all the android phones vs iphone 4s will be decided in iphones favor for at least next 6 months, mark my words

what do you want more from an iphone?

the thing is apple has spoiled all of us + macrumors with all the rumors that turn out to be incorrect, you get a ton of probably 20-30 years old human beings behaving like babies when they dont get what they want for their christmas... i mean, grow up already, jesus

and for me the most important thing, believe it or not, iphone 4s shows some respect to the costumers: we're all on two years contracts (well, most of us) so that means in theory that youre phone should last for 2 years, so why should apple release a totally redesigned and all-around better iphone every year, they release it every two years, and in the middle hardware refresh just to stay on par with the competition, i think thats great, a direct comparison with cars - bmw, mercedes-benz and audi release new model of a certain car every 7-8-9 years, and in the middle of that cycle they release a minor refresh (maybe new lights, new engines, colors, options, etc. nothing huge) just like apple with iphone and that shows some respect to costumers unlike renault or htc who are shooting out new models every 5 nanoseconds. think about it

25. yourmother macrumors regular

That may not be the answer we all want to hear but probably the closest to the truth.
    The ipod updates were a big yawn, watch faces and white touch. iPods don't deserve their own event anymore and its producing less revenue for the company compared to the iphone and ipad so it isnt that big of a priority.