Now that i've had my 6+ for a week, I'm SO glad I didn't get the regular 6.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrackerJackToy, Sep 29, 2014.

1. CrackerJackToy macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

Past

Before the Apple keynote and when it was just rumors, I had already made my decision to get the 4.7" iPhone, instead of the 5.5". Like everyone who doesn't buy a 6+, I was afraid it would be too big and overkill. Last minute decision, I decided to get the 6+. Here is my review!

Present

-Battery-
    I didn't even really pay attention to the battery differences in the keynote, but was one of the first things I noticed about my 6+. No matter how hard I try, I can't run this thing out of life. Using the phone for 24 hours still netted 20% battery left. Even with heavy use of bluetooth headphones in the gym for 2 hours at a time, and my entire day consisting of being awake 17 hours, my phone still retains 40% battery remaining MINIMUM.

-Size-
    The first day I held my new 6+, I was BLOWN AWAY by the size. I thought to myself that there is no way I'm keeping this phone. Its too large. Its too big. But wow it has an amazing screen! I was torn between returning it or just trying it out. After a week of having the phone, I don't even notice the size anymore. Its just a regular phone to me. But when I see an iPhone 5 or 4, I think 'HOLY CRAP THATS SMALL!' Simply put, after 3 days of usage, you won't even notice the size anymore. Its rarely noticeable in my pocket either.

-Camera-
    Even though I haven't taken many pictures with the phone, the camera is fast, and the pics look great. A definite improvement over the 5s camera.

-Landscape-
    Im not sure if the 6 has all the landscape options that the 6+ has, but I honestly love it. Especially the home screen. Even though its something so simple, I have found benefits from it already.

Conclusion
    In conclusion, the 6+ is the best phone I have ever owned. It truly is a revolutionary product for me, despite other phones having the larger size a couple years ago. The battery is absolutely superb and I feel like I would've compromised had I bought the regular 6. The size of the phone is nothing to worry about for those who are. You get used to it just like anything else within a handful of days. I hope this review will help you make a decision or confirm the one you've already made!

2. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

3. Apollonian macrumors 6502a

Apollonian

I agree OP, the 6 Plus may be one of the best iPhones yet in my opinion!

4. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Glad you love it! Mine had me at the Hello screen. :)

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Yup the 6+ is defiantly special. Glad I went this route over the 6.

6. jpeg42 macrumors 6502a

jpeg42

Well at least you admit you were quick to judge. Props to you OP. Most apple fans around here would deny ever having such pessimism towards a larger phone when it was Samsung.

Nov 6, 2011, 06:31 AM #22
    CrackerJackToy
    macrumors regular

Its not always about the biggest screen, or the biggest numbers. This is why I hate droid debates. The reason the iPhones screen is 3.5" is so that anyone can control the phone one-handed, and can access anything on the screen from your thumb. You cant do this with the Samsungs. The 3.5" is perfectly adequate. I am not interested in carrying a pocket TABLET with me everywhere I go.

:apple: ftw.

7. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

6+ is simply too big. If you need insane battery life or are using your phone like a tablet then I understand. For everyone else the 6 is a far superior option due to it's handling.

8. CrackerJackToy thread starter macrumors 6502

CrackerJackToy

How long have you owned the 6+?

9. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

The iPhone six plus' killer feature is actually landscape mode apps and when more apps support it then people will want the six plus more.

10. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Wouldn't the 'better' way to say this (so as not to offend 6 owners / start arguments) be:

"Now that I've had it for a week, I'm SO happy I got the 6+." ??? :confused:

Unless you're looking for that sort of thing...

11. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Ive been doing this for years now with JB. Its an awesome feature, cant wait for ios8 JB!

12. modernmoments macrumors member

I too am enjoying my 6+. I came from a Note 3 (and had iPhones before that) so the screen size isn't a big change for me. I actually find the 6+ easier to hold because it's narrower than the Note 3, albeit taller. I carry the phone on a holster and even in my pocket, it never bothered me. The screen is fantastic, but I agree with the OP, the battery life is fantastic.

For me, the battery life is one of the most important features on a smartphone and an area where almost every manufacturer has yet to innovate. I'm a power user of my phone, using it for e-mails, social media, occasional video, camera and Internet. My iPhone 5 when I had it was poor battery life. The Note 3 had decent battery life, but still a bit disappointing for such a large battery. So far, the 6+ has exceeded my expectations for battery life. Time will tell how long it will stay that way, but in the mean time, I'm enjoying it.

I agree one size doesn't fit all for screen sizes and I think the 6 is a great device. However, if you use your phone a lot during the day, the extra battery life may be a tipping point for you. Also, I felt the screen size was not as dramatic as some other people think it is. I think coming from an iPhone 4-5s probably seems dramatic in change, however, if you came from a Galaxy S4, S5, Note 2, Note 3 or anything with a 4.7" screen and larger, the 6+ will seem larger, but not ridiculous either.

I'm curious to see how many people who has the 6 will eventually go up to a + at some point now that they are adjusting to a larger screen. To each their own though. I hope everyone enjoys their new phones!

13. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Me too. I love my 6+. I entertained the though of going back to a 6 several times and just couldn't do it. Now I am happy I didn't.

14. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I've thought about going back to a 5S after the whole bend thing but I'm not!

15. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Yeah that title could be less inflammatory. But as a 6 user, I'm not bothered by it. The context of her post is what matters. They enjoy the choice they ended up with; nobody can fault them for that.

16. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I feel the same way. If I am honest I am a person that used to make fun of note owners for the massive phone they carried around. I did see the value in the extra screen size, but just didn't ever see myself using a phablet of any kind including an apple one.

Leading up to the keynote I felt exactly like you I just knew that I would get the 4.7" and wouldn't even consider the larger phone. For some reason though after watching the keynote I just felt like the Plus was the phone to have. I wanted the extra screen size but was nervous that I would hate carrying it around all the time, but I figured I should start with the phone I wanted to like and see if I could manage it.

I can safely say after the first weekend I knew that there was no way I was giving it up. I am glad I gave it a chance because it is a truly great phone and that extra screen real estate is fantastic.

17. urkel macrumors 68030

What many people are missing is that this is a new product class. So we aren't trying to "fit" the 6+ into our existing workflow (like we did with the 4S->5 transition), we're supposed to adjust our workflow to fit the device (like we did when we first got an iPad, iPod or AppleTV).

Personally, I recommend the iPhone 6 to most people because not everyone wants to change their workflow. They just want a better phone and the iPhone 6 is a fantastic upgrade. But for those who know what they're getting into then the 6+ really does change the way you get things done in a positive way.

18. sunshinecourt9 macrumors member

sunshinecourt9

Totally agree OP! The first two days I sort of was overwhelmed. I thought I made a mistake. But then on the third day, I was restoring my 5s to sell and couldn't believe how tiny it is!! I love my PLUS!

19. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

So glad you did not get the regular 6 either, golly, what an inspiration you are....lol!

20. icebergx macrumors regular

Essentially, it comes down to a question of screen size and battery life. The landscape mode thing is a bit of a gimmick and the OIS hasn't shown to produce much better photos.

For me, the extra screen size isn't essential. You don't really need it in apps as 4.7" is easily enough to be able to view most things. It would be nice when watching video, but realistically, I don't do that very often... Maybe once a week. then there's the extra cost too. It's more that $100 difference outside the US.

Therefore it came down to a tradeoff between extra battery life and portability. I usually wear well fitted (not skinny) jeans, and occasionally find the 5S a bit tight to carry.Carrying the 6Plus around would have been uncomfortable, without doubt. The extra battery life would be nice, but not essential.

All said and done, the 6 was definitely the best, most practical choice for me. To each his own, but imo, the 6 is the most practical phone, all told.

21. pumperx macrumors newbie

I am also very glad that I went with 6 plus. I just love the battery and the screen. Once you use 6 plus for a while, it is almost impossible to go back....

22. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Unless you are an outdoor professional who uses these devices strictly as a tool where the 6+ would be absurd.

Apple offers two phone sizes because it is not a one size fits all world.

23. TRC-WA macrumors regular

I've had my 6+ for 3 days and love it. I can operate it one handed which means it's the perfect size for my big hands.

I am happy with my choice. The phone wins.

24. DrakeMcEachern macrumors 6502

I wish the iPhone 6 was just a tad thicker if it meant better batter. But I like how the 6 can be held in one hand. I'm glad you like your 6+!