Now that Touch ID is lightning fast, it's nearly impossible to trigger Apple Pay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldfrapp, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

I have 0% luck trying to activate Apple Pay when the phone is locked. Touch ID unlocks the phone instantaneously. What's the workaround?

2. perkedel macrumors 6502a

perkedel

place finger on touchid ring, do not press. move phone closer at terminal. done.

3. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

Pretty much. Apparently it's rocket science lol

4. chabig macrumors 68040

Just in case you missed it, the answer is do not press the button.

5. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

We don't seem to be on the same page; I'm talking about this feature:

[​IMG]

6. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

The cards automatically pull up when your phone is next to a reader. You could just leave your finger on the button while your phone is asleep and when you move it next to the reader, it will wake up and your card will open, scan your finger, and pay.

7. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I'm able to trigger it just fine. Try doing the double click a little faster

8. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Yeah, the double tap home while locked to open Apple Pay is useless with Touch ID being so fast.

9. doboy macrumors 68000

Time to get an Apple Watch :)

10. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Lol that or just use your apple watch

11. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

I just tried this and it worked 10/10 times. You just have to tap quickly, leaving your finger on the button after the second tap for Touch ID to read it.

12. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Start with the screen off. Do both taps in quick succession, don't delay the second tap.

13. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

You have to tap quicker than before, but I have zero issues getting it.

14. Orien macrumors regular

Orien

It becomes an issue when you want to use a non-default card. Otherwise, you never even need to click the button.

15. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

It says "Double-Click". Not clicking twice. Double-click like you would double-click your mouse.

16. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

Why would that be an issue? Just put your phone up to the payment device, will automatically wake and pull up your wallet. You can then choose a different card.

17. Orien macrumors regular

Orien

That behavior was very flaky for me on my 6. It would rarely activate the screen even when next to the NFC device.

But if I held touch ID, it would go through with my default payment method.

18. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

When you have passes but no cards, they never pop up automatically. And that's an issue.

19. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Maybe a silly question, I've only used Apple Pay twice, both times I've used the double tap home button to bring up my card then hovered over the terminal to pay... do I not actually have to do that?

20. pcfarrar macrumors member

No you don't, just put your phone close to the reader and then it flashes up on screen for your touchid.

21. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Have you tried double tapping as fast as you can? I honestly can't make it not work if you do it quickly.

22. danmart macrumors 6502

danmart

Double click using the tip of your thumb, rather than the pad. That way you aren't touching much of the ring (which is needed for TouchID to work). Works every time for me.

23. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

I was able to do it, and that's with my left thumb (haven't put any other fingers in yet), which isn't that fast (non-dominant hand).

Repeated 10 times with left thumb, 9 were successful. I figure I would be 100% with right hand. Even if I had a hard time with it, I'd just use a non-registered finger, or tip of finger or fingernail.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You can store other cards here as well (i.e. Starbucks and other gift cards). So I can see this being annoying, to say the least. Paying with a Starbucks card doesn't lend me the luxury of activating wallet by means of nfc.

25. CosmoPilot, Sep 26, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2015

CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Double click allows you to change which card you want to use before scanning. Some of us have multiple cards in Wallet and don't necessarily want to use the default card every time. Apple built this feature for a reason. Example: I'm on a business meeting and my default ApplePay card is a personal debit card. Theoretically, I should be able to double click the home button, select the appropriate credit card and then place the phone next to a scanner.

To the OP, with a default card selected, mine is working fine. If yours isn't, I suggest double clicking with a non-registered finger for now.