Now that "we" fixed the sata, lets fix the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bugout, Jun 23, 2009.

1. bugout macrumors 6502a

This issue has been going on for over six months..

Is there such a small amount of people that apple has chosen to ignore the issue?

Previous thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=636416&highlight=mini+displayport+dual-link

Apple support forum links:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8680802
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8674416

Some links from Gizmodo:
    http://gizmodo.com/5119858/apples-m...nk-dvi-adapter-has-periodic-distortion-issues
    http://gizmodo.com/5133433/apple-te...ustomers-that-their-monitors-are-incompatible
    http://gizmodo.com/5139708/apple-nv...l+link-dvi-issues-boosts-hd-video-performance
    http://gizmodo.com/5140300/apples-n...i-displayport-dual+link-dvi-distortion-issues

It's driving me nuts that I have to put my dell 30" display to sleep every hour or so when one of the links dies.

Remember, this is only for people using a 30" monitor (2560*1600) with the Apple Mini displayport to dual-link dvi adapter.

2. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

that sucks dude...but the % of people with that set up is really small like you said...it's probably way down on Apple's to do list unfortunately.

3. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

this issue has been going on longer than wtf i have 1.5 gb on my sata.... how long does it take to fix an adapter. i have gone through at least 5 at work. we had to video tape the issue before apple would ever actually acknowledge there was a problem.

i guess they need to clear out the warehouse of all the faulty adapters before they silently replace them with new ones that actually work.

4. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

What is the solution to the 1.5g sata?

5. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

look at MR front page

6. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I have the same, lovely Dell 3007WFP monitor on my desk being driven my a rather fast Windows Vista machine. I am just hoping by the time I get around to upgrading to a Mac Pro, they continue to have Dual-Link DVI outputs on the video cards they are using.

7. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Thanks! I typically go straight to forums.macrumors.com...

8. bugout thread starter macrumors 6502a

doesn't look like we have much of interest here huh.. :mad:

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Maybe people are not sharing your same concern and are finally looking to USE their computer rather than finding everything wrong with it. Fix the display port and you'll be back with something else. Looking for perfection? Don't buy an Apple. :p

10. cababah macrumors 68000

Because they want things to work properly?

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

mini display port as a whole needs to get fixed back to dvi

People are supposed to use their computers without being able to see the screen? That makes sense.

12. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Why do you want to revert to old technology?

13. bugout thread starter macrumors 6502a

The display becoming completely unreadable is trying to find something wrong with it? yikes..

14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Maybe because the new technology is not properly working.

I just bought my MBP a month ago and would also like to hook it to a larger screen via Dual Link DVI.

15. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

we find the faults because according to apple it just works. my coworkers laugh and think it is quite comical when my graphics get distorted on my mac pro. they just laugh and say apple as they walk away. i actually had one of our tech support guys order me card from apple that would have dual link dvi built into it. we only demand perfection because the apple slogan was once "it just works"

16. Works4Me macrumors regular

This isn't going to be helpful, but just so you know, I bought a 2.4 MacBook about two months ago. I also bought a mini-display port to dual-link DVI adaptor to run my 30" inch Dell that I've used with my MacBook Pro 17" for over two years. To my surprise, it's worked very well so far. There's been the odd time (twice) that the resolution got messed up when I unplug it, take it out for a while, and the plug it back in, but that's pretty rare. Otherwise, I'm quite happy with it.

Not saying that your problems aren't real and that Apple shouldn't get their act together on this. They should! Just thought I'd let you know that at least one surprised customer actually has it work well!

17. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

***** yeah, i'm SICK of the flicker issues. c'mon  get you shyte together

18. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

<3 my classic MBP. I bought it because of the Dispayport issues lol.

19. TheSandman2236 macrumors 6502

For the love of god let's fix this. I'm SICK of using my PC on my 30" Dell.

20. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

I personally wouldn't mind it if they also allowed the mini displayport to transmit audio along with the video like it's supposed to :eek:, in addition to fixing the dual-link DVI issue

It seems like the displayport implementation has a few kinks to work out...

21. calsci macrumors 6502

calsci

well you have a mobile laptop that you can easily unplug if something happens to the graphics. my mac pro is hidden under my desk then i have to pull it out and pull the cable... to get to the point it is a real pain if that were the solution to the distorted graphics it would be very anyone.

that would be so sweet. kinda like hdmi. it would help all those guys with the 13" macbook pros that have a combined audio in/audio out port.

22. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Doesn't your Mac Pro have a dual-link DVI port as well as a DisplayPort? Or are you pushing a pair of 30" monitors?

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Just as the number of people who would actually suffer from the SATA issue. :cool:

Seriously, if you're using a HDD and not a SSD then you would never really suffer from the SATA issue. However, it's nice that it was fixed.

This "issue" is really just a preference I think.

It is not a kink if Apple purposely disabled it within the OS. I want it too but on my MacMini.

24. bugout thread starter macrumors 6502a

How is this issue just a "preference"?