Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Betanews reports on data from market research firm NPD showing that, of computers priced at $1,000 or more sold in the U.S. in the fourth quarter of 2009, 90% were Macs. The data demonstrates Apple's continued strong performance among the high-end personal computer market as average selling prices for Windows computers continue to decline. In addition, Apple doubled its share of the $500-$1,000 computer market year-over-year from 5% to 10% based on sales of the Mac mini and MacBook.
The data is startling confirmation -- at least for the United States -- about Apple's success establishing the Mac as a premium brand. More significantly, the data shows how discounting has lowered consumer expectations about Windows PCs and brand equity for companies like Dell or HP. Additionally, gains below $1,000 indicate there is demand for lower-priced Macs, which during 2009 Apple satisfied with the $999 white MacBook and $599 Mac mini.
The data should be considered with several caveats, with the most significant likely being that NPD's data does not cover all sales channels, primarily focusing on brick-and-mortar and major online retailers while not addressing the direct-to-business sales channels responsible for a significant portion of Windows PC sales. Apple's growth in the $500-$1,000 segment was also obviously enhanced by continued declines in average Windows PC selling prices, which slipped to $475, down almost $100 year-over-year. Apple's prices did decline slightly from $1,499 to $1,361 as the company cut some prices on the high end of several of its computer lines, but still remained well above Windows PC levels.

Betanews reported last July that Apple had surged to claim over 90% of the revenue of the $1,000+ computer market, but today's report focusing on unit sales instead of revenue offers a clearer picture of Apple's performance in the segment. As has been raised in similar reports in the past, however, the question remains about how much growth space is left in the $1,000+ market as overall selling prices continue to decline and the $500-$1,000 price range becomes the new "premium" market. Apple observers can of course point to the company's record revenue, profit, and Mac sales last quarter as evidence that its business model continues to succeed, but doubts will certainly continue to surface.

Article Link: NPD: 90% of $1,000+ PCs Sold in Fourth Quarter 2009 Were Macs

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
This time it's unit sales, not just revenue.

Apple continues to own the most profitable end of the market, where all the good stuff is.

Reession? What recession?

This is MS' problem. They have no issues when it comes to unit sales or even profit, but their brand image is in the toilet. When people with money choose *not* to buy your products, you've got a major problem.

marv08

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
So much for "Laptop Hunters" and the theory of Windows 7 having a positive effect on PC prices... This is getting pretty pathetic.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I bought a gaming PC desktop that was just over that $1,000 mark in retail. So I must have got in that 10% category. For my next Mac, I'll get the Macbook Air since I don't need it for gaming or encoding video.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I particularly love this quote:

...gains below $1,000 indicate there is demand for lower-priced Macs, which during 2009 Apple satisfied with the $999 white MacBook ...

As if consumers are that dumb.

"$1000 is too much to pay for a computer! I'm not buying one of them premium brands!"

"How about this MacBook for $999?"

"Ah, much better! I'll take one!"

:D

gskidmark

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
NJ
What Happened to AlienWare?

I guess they're still out there. I haven't googled them or anything but after being borged by Dell they pretty much went quietly into the night.

They were at or near the top of the high end PC world for a long time. Now I guess they occupy a converted broom closet in the dark basement of Dell.

Space Moose

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2006
Betanews reports on data from market research firm NPD showing that, of computers priced at $1,000 or more sold in the U.S. in the fourth quarter of 2009, 90% were Macs.

That's not quite true.

The report says that 91% of the money spent on plus-$1000 computers was spent on a Mac. That's a little different from 91% of the computers sold.

Still impressive in my opinion, but deserves correction.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I guess they're still out there. I haven't googled them or anything but after being borged by Dell they pretty much went quietly into the night.

They were at or near the top of the high end PC world for a long time. Now I guess they occupy a converted broom closet in the dark basement of Dell.
The M11x is $799. ;)

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
The legacy PC manufacturers must be having heart attacks. Apple has driven them almost entirely out of the high end and is currently gobbling up all the profit there and forcing them to take the low margin $400-$700 market.

Now that the legacy manufacturers have gotten caught in that commodity niche and have no money to innovate their way out of it, Apple drops into the market with iPad. It is enough of a computer for a majority of users and has a compelling design none of the legacy manufacturers can compete with.

It is going to be a blood bath over the next few years as Apple takes that market too. Innovate or die, the legacy PC manufacturers forgot that!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
That's not quite true.

The report says that 91% of the money spent on plus-$1000 computers was spent on a Mac. That's a little different from 91% of the computers sold.

Still impressive in my opinion, but deserves correction.

From the report:

Windows 7 did little to slow the Mac's sales trajectory during fourth quarter, according to NPD. Year over year, Apple doubled US retail unit share -- from 5 percent to 10 percent -- for PCs selling between $500 and $1,000. More startling, Apple increased its unit share from 79 percent to 90 percent in the market for "premium" PCs, meaning those selling for more than $1,000. In July, I reported that Apple's revenue share for PCs selling for more than $1,000 was 91 percent, because of higher average selling prices; nearly all Macs sold for more than $1,000. Now Apple benefits from 90-percent unit share, too.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
The data is startling confirmation -- at least for the United States -- about Apple's success establishing the Mac as a premium brand. More significantly, the data shows how discounting has lowered consumer expectations about Windows PCs and brand equity for companies like Dell or HP. Additionally, gains below $1,000 indicate there is demand for lower-priced Macs, which during 2009 Apple satisfied with the $999 white MacBook and $599 Mac mini.
That quote is by betanews, and not from NPD. If the NPD numbers tell us anything, it's that Apple computers are more expensive than other PC's, and that Apple is over-charging for what they offer.

Good for shareholders, but not for consumers.

-=XX=-Nephilim

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2009
This makes sense since only us, crazed Mac users, are willing to pay above $1000 for a computer...

Other, normal folks, spend way less and get more powerful hardware :D

Ah well, I still love my :apple:

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Microsoft's OS's and Office suites are primarily business oriented. Consumers have always been an afterthought. Now it seems that the business market will eventually be their *only* market, as 'normal' people are getting fed up with the hassle of maintaining a Windows system and getting results. Microsoft has never really addressed that.

I can see how most people primarily want to do fun stuff with their machines. Working with pictures and video, maybe build a simple website and keep in touch with family and friends. The iLife suite has always been so much better for that. And Macs are easier to maintain.

ferrous

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
Repoblikan'i Madagasikara
I was just talking yesterday with my boyfriend about our first Macs we bought over two years ago. I asked him how many times his Macbook Pro broke down... he said none. My iMac never broke either, nothing that a restart would not take care of.

Amazing, huh? I wonder if we bought PC's, we may have to be looking for new computers by now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.