NTFS support in Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by otis123, Mar 7, 2009.

1. otis123 macrumors 6502a

I can't believe macs cant write on a NTFS disk, its stupid i have to keep my 250GB ext HDD in FAT format! i want native ntfs read and write support in snow leopard, i will buy it just for that.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's stupid that we should have to support NTFS...

I doubt it. I'd rather have native ZFS.

Oh, also, just install NTFS-3G and MacFUSE. You'll get your NTFS write-support.

3. kolax macrumors G3

It would be nice for OS X to support it out of the box. Just the ability to write to NTFS hard drives would be good.

4. Diaresi macrumors regular

As has been stated NTFS-3G is a very solid (and free :) ) option.

I don't pretend to know but there's probably some licensing issues at work. Either Microsoft wouldn't license it or Apple don't want to, perhaps as it would add another cost to OS X.

NTFS-3G was created by writing from scratch how to implement NTFS - only MS know how NTFS "truely" works.

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

If Microsoft know how anything truly works i'll eat my hat.

6. belvdr macrumors 601

Considering they created NTFS, I'd say they know how it works. Start eating...

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The only thing that I will admit that Microsoft has done correctly is online gaming (Xbox Live) even though I have never used it.

And I only say that it is done right because there isn't an Apple alternative and Nintendo doesn't really care enough to wipe the floor with them as a competitor in online games.

They created Windows; it still blue screens. They can't seem to fix it.

8. belvdr macrumors 601

True (I haven't had a BSOD since Windows 2000), but NTFS is rock solid. There's no denying that.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Because post 2000 Microsoft OS's are Unix rip off's, Microsoft didn't even make it, so it doesn't count.

10. belvdr macrumors 601

My point is not about Windows (and not real sure about the Unix rip off); it's about NTFS. And that counts.

11. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Windows 2000 was one of the best O/S's ever made imho.

The issue of writing to NTFS directly from within OSX could have some security concerns as well.

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Basically Microsoft realised FAT was a total fail so they started making HPFS in the 90's which IBM tested out and told them it was total fail as well, so IBM showed them how to make NTFS, then Microsoft licensed it and bla bla bla

13. belvdr macrumors 601

It's much more complicated than that. Microsoft and IBM were in a joint effort for OS/2. When they split, Microsoft took bits of HPFS to develop NTFS. The original NTFS spec was done by Microsoft.

14. jonnyblobby macrumors member

jonnyblobby

ntfs working in snow leopard

i'm currently running Snow leopard (WWDC09) beta 10A380. after plugging in an ntfs formatted USB drive to drag files off, i noticed there wasn't a read only icon in the bottom corner. I tested a copy to the drive and interestingly enough, the drive is read/write. i have not installed NTFS-3g, so this obviously means its not supported. However, disk utility cannot format a new disk as NTFS (only ms-dos). Interesting that it hasn't been stated to work by apple.

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

now that is interesting. i'll have to look into this

16. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Interesting, NTFS read/write support is not present for my Windows 7 partition (Boot Camp); it is locked down as read only in 10A380. Since neither Paragon NTFS nor NTFS-3g is x64 compatible, I ditched them both and am just living with it. Seems like a decent tradeoff, as without any 32bit kexts, I can do the "6/4 boot" and use the real OS 10.6 kernel (pure x64), which seems to speed things up in general.

17. dmbfan36 macrumors newbie

I connected my Drobo (NTFS) and 10A380 can't write to it, but it can read it...

Same here... I'm running Windows 7 x64.

18. HnZ macrumors member

is it read/writeable or not??? and is there an app for snow leopard who makes it able to write to ntfs??

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Snow Leopard is still in development. With few exceptions, so too are the compatible utilities.

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Uh, no? Apple won't do it.

Get NTFS-3G and MacFUSE. They let you write to it right now.

21. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacFUSE is now part of NTFS-3G.

22. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

NTFS-3g doesn't make the cut with the pure x64 version--it must need an x32 kernel extension. So I'm just sticking it out with NTFS read only (Paragon has the same problem...it fact, it seems the methodology used by Paragon is extremely similar to that of NTFS-3g/FUSE).

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Oh, is it? Good, less typing for us, then.

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Apple answered this a couple of years ago at there dev thingy.

There answer was that to read Required ntfs no licence. To write required permission from microsoft due to copyrights etc, they did and were refused.

If write support was enabled in the beta it's perfectly legal as there was no public release or monies taken for the beta.