Nuance Discontinues Dragon Professional Individual for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nuance this week announced that it is discontinuing Dragon Professional Individual for Mac, effective two days ago on Monday, October 22, 2018. The software is no longer available for purchase, but customers who purchased version 6 of the software and have a perpetual license will be able to keep using Dragon Professional Individual.

As of now, Nuance will no longer provide updates for the software. Customers will still be able to receive telephone support for up to 90 days from the date of activating the software in North America, and up to 180 days from activation in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia-Pacific. They can also visit the Nuance Dragon Knowledgebase for online resources.

Nuances says its reason for discontinuing Dragon Professional Individual for Mac comes from "constantly evaluating its product portfolio to see how we can best meet the needs of our customers and business." The software allowed Mac users to gain access to powerful dictation and transcription tools with an emphasis on streamlining user workflows, allowing users to dictate reports, spreadsheets, and emails, which Dragon converted to text.

Now, users will be able to buy Dragon Professional Individual for Windows, Dragon Legal Individual for Windows, and Dragon Anywhere for Android and iOS. Dragon Medical for Mac was also discontinued back in August.

Article Link: Nuance Discontinues Dragon Professional Individual for Mac

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Good. Nuance were one of the worst companies on Mac. Their software was extremely poor compared to Windows.

Furthermore they pissed off a lot of people following Lion (or Mountain Lion, I forget which). Their Dragon Dictate software was available but not supported on the latest OS. They continued to sell it for about 4 months whilst the latest OS was out, then released a brand new version with compatibility on the latest OS and said the previous version wasn't compatible with it. I was gobsmacked.

I have grown a deep loathing for this company following 6 years on first/second line support for a DSA company in the UK and we had to be intimately familiar with loads of assistive software. Luckily I've since left that role but the pain remains.

3. AJ Mac25 macrumors newbie

AJ Mac25

This is ridiculous. They took a great program from the Mac world, MacSpeech, and destroyed it. Support was always terrible and software prices were expensive. They are a monopoly and now we are left without a viable dictation software program for the Mac platform. Time for Apple or someone else to step in. Sad

4. avtella macrumors regular

Swype was such an awesome keyboard when it first released then Nuance bought it and destroyed it.

5. jlc1978 macrumors 68020

jlc1978

Yup. I had a version of DD and found it cumbersome to use. I'm surprised Apple hasn't done more with speech inout on the Mac given what they've done with Siri, iOS and AppleTV relative to speech input. It's clear they are working with speech recognition and input; although the have a way to g with actual text entry. For example, trying to add punctuation in iOS result in space and period being typed.

How's things in Cowtown after the Purdue game?

6. keysofanxiety, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018

keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Yep, you'd think with all Apple tout about accessibility, this might be on the list. Mind you, Nuance may well have had some antitrust threats for Apple (wouldn't surprise me), much like Kaspersky did for Microsoft.

At least now, Apple have no excuse not to fully develop speech control for upcoming macOS releases.

7. harriska2 macrumors 6502a

harriska2

Nuance is a horrible company. Many used and loved Paperport. Then Nuance bought it and destroyed it. After 5 years I’m still converting files out of paperport :(

8. Val-kyrie macrumors 68000

Do either of you know of good speech-to-text and/or text-to-speech apps (or one app that will do both) for Macs?

I was rear-ended in an MVA and now have a lot of trouble reading, so I am looking for assistive software.

9. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

The built-in Siri on macOS is pretty good for speech to text and the built in reader on macOS can convert any highlighted text to speech. You can have both triggering on a keyboard shortcut of your discretion.

It may be worth trying that first before going third party as it has native OS integration. :)

10. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

@Val-kyrie

I think that dictating with the built-in microphone works remarkably well. In fact, I dictated this comment. Have you given it a try?

(Edited to add: I've used and loved Dragon Anywhere for short term but complex projects on my iPad. I just buy it for a month and then cancel.)

11. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Would be nice if a medical or legal dictionary was offered for macOS so that Siri recognizes more medical words. Would also be beneficial to add a medical dictionary to iOS. I don't know how many times I've texted a doc and autocorrect thinks I've "intimated" instead of "intubated" a patient.

12. VulchR, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I used to love Dragon Dictate. Then it was clear they weren't doing anything new with it and then it simply fell behind MacOS - which is saying something given the glacial pace of development MacOS (Finder windows still do not resize columns to show an entirety of the names available as an option). The thing that really killed me was that DD didn't work in MS Word's comment boxes when editing a document. Good riddance.

As I recall, Nuance also purchased and killed Via Voice. I loathe them.

It seems like Siri is the only alternative - or does anybody else here know of another alternative? I'm dyslexic and when I get tired it is sometimes easier to dictate than to type.

Still waiting for the direct neural-to-text link....

13. AppleInLVX macrumors 65816

AppleInLVX

As far as I'm concerned, they can all go pound salt. Final nail in the coffin was when the old guard left and the new came in last year. Now it's all about numbers. They couldn't care less about people.

14. gmm421 macrumors newbie

I remember using Dragon version 3 on Windows and it was the pits. Version 7 was a big step up. But, on the Mac, it has always been buggy. The built-in Apple speech recognition is on par with Dragon dictate, which Nuance wanted you to re-purchase every year or two. Good riddance. I'll use their Windows product on my Windows virtual machine partition.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 24, 2018 ---
    It also interpreted a statement that my 80 year old patient "enjoys cooking" as "enjoys cocaine". As far as I know, it's not why she has the sniffles. : )

15. mschmalenbach macrumors regular

One of my team is Hong Kong Chinese - when he first introduced himself to the 65 students in the room who were from all over the world, he said his name was Bernard and he liked cooking - what they and I heard was that he too like cocaine!!

I had to quickly jump in and explain!!

We still joke about that 2 years later!

16. icallmydmicrosoft macrumors newbie

i personally think the built-in dictation mode works just as reliable as the ios counterpart. (settings > keyboard > dictation)

17. avocats macrumors newbie

Isn't Nuance the company that bought and destroyed PaperPort more than a decade ago? So now we have to use Dragon Anywhere for iOS with a monthly payment?

18. Mick-Mac macrumors regular

19. shadowbird423 macrumors 6502

shadowbird423

Just stepped in to contribute to the "F*** Nuance" side of things. Their medical version is $$$$ and poorly supported/optimized. Not to mention the many companies they've bought and killed. What a terrible company.

20. Marzzz macrumors regular

The regular Dragon Dictate was impossible for medical use, you had to upgrade to Dragon Dictate Medical to do any serious medical transcription: "transfer animal" instead of "transforaminal." I have basically cobbled together a productive method for using DD Medical, but since it was only supported up to Sierra I am stuck there on my MacBook Pro. It really sucks that Nuance abandoned it- if push comes to shove I would run Parallels, but maybe at that point I would just retire and go work in my local Apple Store. In the meantime, EHRs are pretty much headed all the way to Windows (7!) because of the domination of Epic (aka "Skynet") in hospitals, etc.

21. VictorTango777, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018

VictorTango777 macrumors 6502

Many hospitals are trying to cut costs by replacing phone-in human transcription services with speech to text on the computer. Nuance sells to hospitals a server version of Dragon Medical with the following features:
    1. Supports more medical terminology
    2. Can learn different user accents and pronunciation instead of typical Siri incompetence
    3. Ability to create text templates and call them up with voice commands.
    4. User voice profiles and templates are stored on server and accessible on any PC the doctor logs into.

Of course, there is no client for Mac computers. And the application for managing the Dragon server is web based, only works in Internet Explorer. Nuance is one of the biggest Microsoft Windows shills.

Apple has spent a lot of time promoting Mac computers to college students. In these forums I see people asking about Macs for medical school. Unfortunately, these future doctors may be in for a rude awakening once they start working in hospitals. Too bad Apple doesn't seem to care since big hospitals are considered corporations and enterprises, unworthy of Apple's attention except for iOS gadgets.

Waiting to see Apple diehards proclaim, "I will only go to hospitals that only use Macs, otherwise just let me die" :D

22. Grehan macrumors newbie

I've been using Dragon for years. While I too had problems with the app crashing until it was updated a few versions ago, I found version 6 to work well for me.

I am upset that Nuance is pulling Dragon for Mac off the market given that I use it constantly to transcribe notes dictated to my digital recorder. Of course, I can still use it for now, but will have to find another way to transcribe notes off a digital recorder or change my workflow (I often dictate while driving so Dragon anywhere isn't an ideal solution for me)

23. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Probably not a great idea. Be safe.

24. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

I was in the same situation years ago after scanning hundreds of files into PaperPort on a Windows PC. When I switched to a Mac, the PaperPort-created .max files could not be read. After several years I discovered GraphicConverter, a wonderful file-converting app that is able to convert .max files. In its later years, Paperport was able to create .pdf files, but too late for me - I was stuck with the earlier .max files.

Give GraphicConverter a try - you will probably like it.