Nuance Discontinues Dragon Professional Individual for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Marzzz macrumors regular

I am currently using Dragon Dictate Medical on my late 2016 MBP running Sierra. I did look into the Windows version with the possibility of running it on Bootcamp, but it is now a $1600 program, and I would have to get a hold of a copy of Windows 10 also. My current solution is to partition my MBP with double boot capability. I am now testing DDM on my smaller partition running Sierra (where it runs fine), and will soon upgrade the larger partition to Mojave (which is not supported by Nuance). I can then safely try DDM in Mojave, and if it doesn't work it I will use the partition where it will remain 2016...

2. Ledgem macrumors 68000

Ledgem

I don't use Dragon Dictate Medical anymore, because it's stuck on the version 5 engine. Dragon Dictate Professional uses the newer version 6 engine, and while you will need to add medical terminology to its dictionary, that can be done pretty quickly (and there's even a feature to feed documents to the program, which will then recognize words and ask if you want to add them to the dictionary... so you could save a few of your notes and then provide those to speed it up). I don't know that I'd want to buy the program now (or if it's even possible to) but if you can get your hands on a copy, I think it would be worth your time to switch over. Dragon Dictate Professional does work on Mojave.

As for partitions, I also have a thought for you there: buy either Parallels or VMWare Fusion, and create a virtual machine for an earlier version of MacOS. Install and use Dragon there once Dragon no longer runs properly on the latest operating system. While it will never be as convenient as simply being able to open Dragon directly, being able to open a program within another program is faster than having to reboot to another partition.

3. Marzzz macrumors regular

Previously, I started with MacSpeech and had all sorts of problems with medical terminology; MacSpeech Medical solved most of that, so I hadn't though of trying Dragon Dictate Professional. It is still available at Amazon, heavily discounted, but i don't know if I want to invest the money and try to train it. FWIW, Dragon Dictate Medical 5.0.4 works fine for me on Sierra.

With regard to using VMs, I actually hadn't thought of using them for a dual Mac OS X setup- I always thought of running Windows with them. BUT, I only have to reboot once a day, I use the Sierra partition at work, and the Mojave partition at home, no need to go back and forth. Added bonus is that I have a Time Machine at both locations, so I can separate out the backups. But in the meantime, EFF Nuance...

4. Marzzz macrumors regular

I have been up and running in dual-boot mode for the past two weeks; DD Medical is working well as can be expected on the smaller "Sierra" partition. Once I confirmed that, I upgraded the larger partition to Mojave. DD Medical seems to work in Mojave, but it doesn't respond to "scratch that" commands. If you don't mind that, it seems to be serviceable during my initial trials. The "scratch that" command was always a little wonky, even in Sierra. I will continue to use the dual-boot system, as I can keep that portion of my MBP stuck in 2016 while I modernize the rest of it. I just need to hang in there another year or two before I take down my shingle...!

5. dfs macrumors 6502

Dpn't count on that happening. It never has when Dreamweaver was the only serious page creation app. left standing. Just because a vacuum exists doesn't necessarily mean somebody's going to be eager to step in and fill it.

6. halluxsinister macrumors regular

halluxsinister

If you go into Settings>General>Keyboard>Text Replacement> and press the blue plus in the upper right corner, and add “intubate” and it won't autocorrect anymore. The utility appears to be intended to let you make shortcuts, (like you type “pt” and it autocorrects to “patient”,) but the shortcut is optional. This is also how you can get iOS to quit autocorrecting all your profanity.
    It would be great if you could just “add” lingos to the dictionary so it already knows words like intubate and extubate, and infarction, etc... even better if the “smart” (hahahah) phone could know when your text recipient is one person or another and adjust autocorrect based on that, so when you're texting your eight-year-old daughter it doesn't autocorrect to profanity, but when you're texting your friend or spouse, it does... and if you’re texting your boss it suggests and corrects corrrectly the lingo for your worklace, (i.e., medical jargon). Note that this wouldn’t PROHIBIT language, just change suggestions and autocorrections based on recipient(s). Similarly to how some software deteccts what language you are working in and changes the spelling diccionario accordingly.