Nuance voice integration iPhone 5 exclusive??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Sorry if this has been discussed, but after the omission of voice control in iOS 5 was a big shock to many of the rumor sites. They seemed to quickly backpedal and say "oh, well our sources say the voice integration is still coming but it just wasn't ready for the WWDC event." I can't help but think that is BS... At the big iOS 5 event they should have talked about it, even if it wasn't perfected or had all the deals in place yet. WWDC got all the media attention, any additional features will slide under the radar with most people.

So I was thinking. Do you think it's possible that Apple will in fact release it in iOS 5... but exclusively on the iPhone 5? This isn't without precedence. In fact the iPhone 3GS was launched with voice control, but they didn't allow it on the iPhone 3G.

2. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

If its exclusive to the ip5 maybe it will be because of hardware requirements to make nuance run properly ie better mic, or faster processor.

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Interesting conjecture. Definitely possible. Or maybe it will come as a smaller update in iOS 5.1 or something?

4. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

Possible, but I have to believe that the addition of this feature would be something Apple would really publicize and capitalize on. I think if we don't see it by ip5, we won't until ip6.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's certainly going to be iPhone 5 exclusive.
    There was no reason for Apple to leave out the battery percentage monitor on the 3G. Same with voice control. They just wanted the newer device to have the upper hand.

6. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Yeah I'd thought about that too. 5.1 is a possibility (and would probably mean backwards compatibility) but I just don't see apple adding it to 5.0 unless its an iPhone 5 exclusive.

Which brings up an interesting question... Does apple see the iPhone 5 as a minor upgrade that has an identity crisis? does it need something extra to seperage it from the others. The iPhone 3GS was seen as minor because it was all internal changes (even though it was arguably a bigger upgrade than the 3G). So will we have the same externals with a A5 and 8mp camera? Then add system wide voice control....

It's frustrating when a company artificially holds things back...

7. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Voice Control doesn't seem like something that would require new hardware; the iPhone 4 already does voice control to some degree with Apple and 3rd party apps. This is not to say they couldn't reserve it for iPhone 5 anyway, but I don't think it's likely.

More than likely, they either did not have the Nuance partnership details worked out for an announcement, they could be saving it for a fall event, or perhaps it's something they are going to be working on for quite some time (iOS 6, for example). My guess is that it will not be ready in time for the fall event and will probably come later, much like the mapping solution they are working on.

8. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Doubtful.

Every iOS release since 2.0 has contained features that could easily run on the previous model but that have intentionally been restricted by Apple to promote the newer product.

9. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

I think it is a5 chip exclusive like the airplay mirroring!!

10. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I think you're very much onto something here.
    It would make sense for the iPhone 5 to have this feature, Apple will do as much as it thinks will be enough to get even iPhone 4 owners to upgrade. But i highly doubt the iPhone 5 will be an internal-only update.
    I think an A5 Dual Core and a better camera are a given, i highly doubt Apple spent over 1 year working on just these two things.

I think a new case design is necessary due to the bad publicity the iPhone 4 got through the Antennagate, proximity sensor, shattering glass, etc. Not to mention it's not ergonomically the best iPhone. I really hope there is a new case design with a better antenna, because god it needs it.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

voice controls I agree it was BS reason for blocking it. Just like MMS blocking from the 1 gen iPhone

Battery percentage I could honestly could see that one being a hardware issue. The sensor Apple used to monitor the battery might not be able to report what is left any better than around 10% at a time. If the hardware can not do it then there is nothing you can do to get around.

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I suggested this a while back, it sounds very much like something Apple would do, and it would be good incentive for a lot of people to upgrade.

13. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

They might also add an extra hardware button to enable the voice controls (something other than holding down the home button) so they might reserve it for the new iPhone. That button could also possibly be used to take photos in the photo app instead of using the volume button.

14. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

If Apple artificially limits it to the iPhone 5 then
    once it's jailbroken someone will just enable it.
    But if the iPhone 4S or 5, whatever they call it,
    isn't significantly different then people will need
    a reason to upgrade. Exclusive features could be
    that reason.