Number 2 is going back :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TodVader, Nov 2, 2008.

1. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Some of you might have read my thread about my second MBP being perfect. Well.... it's not. On the second day, I rent a movie and wanted to watch it on my MBP even if I had a huge HDTV in the living room. I wanted to test the screen quality while watching a movie.

As soon as the movie started, I realized there was columns of light coming up from the bottom of the screen every inch or so. One of them went halfway up the screen and the other ones were about an inch long or so. I saw someone with the same problem somewhere in the forums.

I called and they told me it was the LCD leaking light and it was a defect.

I told them I was very disappointed with their product and they offered me a free wireless mighty mouse.

So this is going back but at least I get something out of it.

This is so disappointing, I just want to get some work done! I'm a web designer and the 3-4 hours or so it took me to get it setup (2 times) is time that I could have been working.

Now, I gotta get back to work on my iBook (for the second time).

This sucks. The next one better be perfect or I'm asking for a refund and making a hackintosh (Which I'm totally against) but this is getting ridiculous.

BTW, the nearest Apple store is 11 hours away and I have to wait a full week for a replacement to come to me (2 Days to ship it to them and 3 to get it back with priority mail).

/rant

2. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I just found the picture of the other guy having that problem. Mine is similar but one of the leaks goes up to halfway up the screen. Am I being picky? Would you have accepted it? Me and my wife both say it's unacceptable.

Attached Files:

3. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

No. Send it back and write Apple to express your frustration.

And having owned two of them, the Mighty Mouse is hardly an acceptable bonus.

4. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Guess it all depends on the person you speak to.

The guy I've been working with regarding the sleep issues I have been having with my MacBook Pro's (I'm on my fourth one now) is sending me a free iPod.

5. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Fourth is totally ridiculous, you deserve the computer for free. He offered me either a carrying case or a mighty mouse. If the next one is a defect too and I still feel like getting a MBP, I'll probably get something else.

I just want a goddamn computer for gods sake!

6. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

Here's a picture I just took of it. (The first pic was from a thread I found but this one is from my computer).

What do you guys think about it? If you open it, you can clearly see the column that goes halfway up the screen :(

Attached Files:

7. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Well I might consider that acceptable, it depends on a few things. Is that the light leakage you see on full brightness with the lights around you turned off? Obviously we are looking at a picture, is the picture representative of what you see in real life? Because camera's can make light leakage look worse than it actually is, or perhaps look better than it actually is.

Even with LED backlighting we aren't going to get 100% uniformity. When I was looking at monitors over at hardforum I peaked at some threads for super expensive monitors and they had backlight issues and other minor problems.

You say you see a line going all the way up, that I think is unacceptable though. If my computer looked like the one in that pic I may want to return it although I might be worried of getting something worse.

8. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I just adjusted the picture so you see better. (upped the brightness). BTW, it's worse in real life than that last picture. It looks more like this new picture. Maybe a bit less but not by much and yes the lights need to be turned off but the room doesn't need to be totally black. When I saw it, it was about 6pm and it was starting to get dark outside and the light in the room was turned off.

Yes the brightness was on max but I like it that way, it's too dark for me when I go lower. If there is a light background, you can hardly see it but with any dark background, it's totally obvious even with the lights on but much less than when the lights are off.

The one that goes up to half of the screen is the line about 1/3 from the left.

I took the flash off to take the picture.

9. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

nice to see their quality control is the same as usual. come on apple...you want people to spend 2k on a laptop, but you can't even fix minor issues like this.

10. Tosser macrumors 68030

All these will end up as refurbs.

Anyway, as have been shown over and over again, the quality that Macs used to have is a gone era. Go get a refund – it's simply not productive having to use one day after another on installing things over and over again. There are too many faults, too many shortcomings. Go buy a better (and slightly cheaper) Thinkpad.

11. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

good luck....

No issue with trying to get this one right. You probably don't enjoy it and wish it didn't happen. But they should correct the issue. Clearly a Rev. A problem, not yours.

12. Balders macrumors member

Balders

I picked up my 3rd replacement from the Apple Store yesterday and it has a similar effect. Not sure what to do as I'm started to get frustrated with this shoddy quality control from Apple now. I suspect if I take this one back, I'll no doubt get a worse one.

Attached Files:

13. nishishei macrumors regular

I'm surprised people still buy Apple laptops with all these problems. If you bought a TV (say Polaroid brand) that had this much trouble, would you buy another TV from that brand? :confused:

14. TodVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

TodVader

3 letters: O - S - X . Sad but true (At least for me it's the only reason) I hate Windows with a passion. I have to use it everyday and its a relief returning to OSX.

15. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Did the other 2 have this problem? I honestly don't think we can expect a perfect backlight system, do any laptops have a perfect backlight system? That doesn't mean we have to accept terrible bleeding but a little is probably ok.

*edit*

Hey Balder, I didn't see those pictures the first time not sure if I missed them or if you edited them in. Anyways, are those two notebooks you had? If so, were those pictures taken with the brightness on full, the lights around you off and in a dark room, and are the pictures representative to what you see in real life?

Those pictures look grey not black, perhaps because of the super bright white backlight? Perhaps I'm not as picky as you, but that doesn't look too terrible to me, but I can't remember the last time I saw a laptop screen with complete uniformity.

Theres not a whole lot of reason to have loyalty to a certain tv brand though. All tv's come with standard inputs and outputs etc. Apple has OSX and some people already have a large collection of software that will only run on a Mac.

If Dell makes shoddy computers you can buy a similarly speced and priced HP. They won't be exactly the same but they'll be pretty close. You can't say the same for Apple. They are in a class of their own, especially with OSX. This is the example I like giving, find me a 15" laptop that has one of these; 1. Unibody aluminum structure, 2. Less than an inch thick, 3. Equal to or less than 5.5lbs with 4-5 hours of battery life.

I just ordered my first Mac, a new mbp. I was getting scared with all the problems and if I recieve a Mac with a lot of problems it'll go back and I may give up on Apple notebooks but I'm crossing my fingers for a perfect one. Since I'll be a new Mac user I'm not heavily vested in Apple's notebooks...yet.

16. nishishei macrumors regular

they look exactly the same!

17. Tosser macrumors 68030

Well, it's not all bleak and fanboyish. I, for one, will be buying a thinkpad next, when this 2.33GHz dies (it took me around 1.5 years to get a working one, but since then I have now fully migrated and would be able to switch tomorrow if it dies then).

18. Balders macrumors member

Balders

Sorry, those two pics are the same laptop, the one I currently have. 1st laptop went back due to scratches and dents on the unibody case, 2nd one went back due to dust under the glass screen and a dead pixel.

The pics posted don't look like bad - i'll take another one (this time with a decent camera, rather than the crappy iPhone camera) and see if it looks any worse. Its more to do with the shadows than the highlights which is bugging me.

Balders.

19. James17 macrumors 6502

Totally unacceptable. Don't settle for anything less than a perfect machine from them. Considering the price of the MBP's, the quality of some of them is a disgrace!

I'm awaiting a replacement uni-body MBP as this one has scratches on the side and the fans make a loud whirring noise. If the 2nd machine isn't perfect I'm getting my money back. I've got an old cheap Acer laptop I bought in 2005 and it hasn't had one issue.

Apple have a cheek packaging garbage like this and sending it to me!

20. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Question. How would you run Final Cut Studio on a Thinkpad... or any pc for that matter? Of course, you may have no need for FCS, but people like me use it on a daily basis and have no desire to switch to something else now that we have invested all that money.

21. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Wow, and I thought that Apple already had this QA issue fixed.

22. nishishei macrumors regular

And people say Microsoft is a monopoly, at least they give you hardware choice.

23. Tosser macrumors 68030

Well, I wouldn't.
    I used the word "migrate" as it truly was a migration. All my apps was of course Mac-specific, some were even Apple-apps. But I was determined not to continue to be raped. Even if I do have audio-related apps for around three grand.
    I had to rethink my workflow and then go find substitutes and dual platform apps for my audio needs. I spend almost half a year trying to make linux work for me. The OS is fine, but I couldn't find any proper audio apps for my needs. I couldn't make it work.

As my two main audio editing apps I will be using Soundbooth CS4 (64bit on windows, 32bit on OS X) as my dual platform audio app, and for more "hardcore" audio editing and multitracking I will be using Audition. Yes, both are the "evil Adobe", but I'm not locked in as much as I am on this platform.

Anyway, I plan to make it a dual boot hackintosh – not because I can afford to rely on a hackintosh, but to let the hackintosh-part be my way of returning to OS X if I have to in a pinch. It's a way of being able to get things done on a given day - things I may not have thought about I need.

24. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

i had the same thing plus the fan noise and battery cover, im waiting for my replacement to come.. :mad: :mad: Hate-->:apple:

25. mhnajjar macrumors 6502a

mhnajjar

So now Apple is giving you free stuff for exchanging your defective machines :eek:

OMG, I remember when I had issues with my MBA & iMac, all I got was a list of how many exchanges I did which were 4 and that they were not happy to do any more. Now, you are getting free iPods and mice :confused:

The only machine that did not get me any trouble was the 17" 2.4 MBP I bought in August 07. That was perfect and all the headache started when I decided to sell it and get an iMac 24" + MBA :eek: However, the combination of the two is the best but it comes with a tax :D