Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vanforum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
I want an iPad but I can't really motivate myself to get one. If I have a laptop and an Iphone, what is the number one reason for getting an Ipad as well? :)

boomboom2

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
Well, if you're having to come up with reason to justify getting one you should probably save your money :rolleyes:

I'm always having to remind myself I don't need the newest gadget every time one comes out. Although I'm always trying to justify it to myself :)

Benny-

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
Mine was for a range of reasons.
I have an iMac, iPhone and two windows laptops however my iPad is used perhaps just as much as my primary computer which is the iMac.
For my business I used to print work orders, back up check lists and other paper work on which I would fill in the details by hand and get the customer to sign the completed work order. These were scanned and filed. Now all my customised PDF files can be filled in on my iPad, the customer can sign directly within PDF Expert and it can all me synced via Dropbox to all my other machines.
Commitments mean that I have to travel to Germany once very few months I used to take a laptop but my iPad comes with me. It does everything I need such as grabbing my email, web browsing, Skype and also keeps me entertained with videos, books and games while travelling.
It's incredibly light with a great battery life and when kept in a case can withstand the bumps and knocks of being in my bag.
Lastly it's fantastic for reading, browsing and watching video in bed or around the house without the heat usually generated by a laptop. I open the case and it's on instantly and ready to use.
I wasn't entirely sure how or if I would use the iPad and how it would fit in with my current gear however it's proved to be versatile.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I'm always having to remind myself I don't need the newest gadget every time one comes out.

I tried this once and failed miserably. Now, whether I need one or not, I'll usually wind up getting the latest gadget and deal with the financial repercussions later on :p

But seriously, if you're debating on whether or not you need/want one then you probably don't and better off saving the money for a hardware upgrade on your laptop or something.

Having bought one though, I can say it's very nice having an iPad for it's convenience and portability. I mainly use it for gaming/watching movies so it's more a nice-to-have for me. Not really all that useful but, since I have one, I can find uses for it much easier :D

JMountainDew

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2012
I tote my laptop to and from the office everyday, but my afternoons (after I head home for lunch) are often spent making a few visits to people in local hospitals and nursing homes, and returning to the office later in the day. I prefer not to lug my briefcase around throughout those visits, and I really don't want to leave it in my vehicle. The iPad is often a great substitute for my laptop when I return to do a little more work in the office. And yes, it is also what I prefer to take when travelling, both business and vacation.

nstinn

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2012
I use mine a lot in meetings with clients, to show visuals/designs - very portable, easy to bring to a quick meeting at lunch etc. Doesn't take as long to start up as a laptop and it can be passed around a table with more ease...

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I want an iPad but I can't really motivate myself to get one. If I have a laptop and an Iphone, what is the number one reason for getting an Ipad as well? :)
You need to determine that for yourself. It's not a one-size-fits-all matter. You can't rely on other to justify purchases for you. If you can't motivate yourself then don't bother.

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Why is this forum so full of threads of people asking if the iPad is worth, if they should buy it, what they should use it for, and so on ??? :confused:

-TYLER

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Why is this forum so full of threads of people asking if the iPad is worth, if they should buy it, what they should use it for, and so on ??? :confused:

Some people like to find out different opinions of a device before spending $500+ on it..

Also be able compare it to other tablets/or if it would be better just to get a laptop

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007

Because using an iPad in public looks a lot cooler and more socially acceptable than using a Sony PSP or Nintendo 3DS in public. :p

mszpara

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I have an iPad and just ordered an MBA, why? I'm not really sure to be honest, haha :D

It's a great toy to have. If you can afford it, then why not?

sinser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Some people like to find out different opinions of a device before spending $500+ on it..

Pricey yes, but if people are afraid to go bankrupt for 500 $ they should simply not even consider buying one.
Also, people are not asking if they can do a specific thing, which would be a real question, but simply what they should do with it. That imo already implies, that no, they don't need it.

Also be able compare it to other tablets/or if it would be better just to get a laptop

It's obviously not a laptop, I thought that was clear...but maybe not...

highlights

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2005
A top reason for me was the quick on for a product that is conducive to taking notes with. The iPhone is only good for the briefest of notes, and a laptop takes time to start up, open a program, etc.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
You should have a reason yourself to get one, if you can't find a reason to get one then I don't think you should get one.

Personally, I love the portability and playing on it while watching TV or laying down.

The common misconception is "its just a giant iPod Touch or iPhone" but if you've used one you'd know that the large screen opens up a whole new world of possibilities that would otherwise be cumbersome on a 3.5" screen.

ebolamonkey3

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Boston
I just wanted one :p

But I've been using it as a presentation device instead of my laptop and watching movies on the treadmill at the gym.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.