NuRam experiencing problems with MBP i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisgentile, Jul 13, 2010.

1. chrisgentile macrumors newbie

Thought I'd let you all know that if you're considering going 8 gb's with OWC's NuRam product, it's probably a safer bet to go with OWC's other brand or Apple's ram.

Many have experienced issues in relation with the graphics switcher. Here is a youtube video documenting a flicker issue. The problem seems to be in relation to intels on board graphics. There appears to be no problems while the 330m is initalized, or when Apple's ram is used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-_h1F1uf_k

2. paultantk macrumors newbie

That's my video. OWC says I can RMA return the NuRAM for a refund. I've already ordered an OWC set instead. Will report if I have the same problems.

Funny thing is I've done many memtests on it and no problems at all sigh.

3. waynema macrumors member

I also have the NuRAM, I have never experienced the flickering issue, how do you recreate it?

4. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

I have the NuRam as well and have no problems. How many other people have had this issue? It seems the bandwagon is always ready to get rolling here when one person (or a small group) has a problem with a defective product.

I would highly doubt that Larry from OWC would continue selling a product that they know has problems.

5. jaytee0401 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Just wanted to chime in. I have the nuRam 8gb kit from OWC in my MBP i7 and is working fine. No flickering while using Intel or Nvidia video card.

JT

6. budman1961 macrumors regular

Same here, 8gb nuram in my 2010 i7 MBP, no problems...

Why do people post with no firsthand experience??:)

7. paultantk macrumors newbie

The flickering occurs when the integrated graphics which uses shared memory is used. If I use gfxcardstatus to force it to nvidia discrete graphics that has it's own memory, the flickering disappears. I've done full memtests and found no problem with the ram but the flickering still occurs.

8. waynema macrumors member

get it replaced. Ive been using my mbp w/intel integrated graphics/NuRAM for months, never experienced such a phenomenon.

9. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I hope this thread does not cause unnecessary concern about all NuRAM being faulty.

I just ordered two kits which are being shipped to Australia and I should receive early next week. Will update my post once both kits are installed and tested in 15" i5 Macbook Pro's.

10. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

Maybe I was wrong... it seems many folks are having these issues.

11. thaita78 macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same issue as described by paultantk. I just recently purchased my i7 mbp and upgraded to 8GB NuRAM from OWC.

12. chrisgentile thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems mushkin's 8gb kit might trigger this too. Not sure why some experience it and others don't.

My OWC 8gb kit (non nuram) came in a few days ago and works perfectly.

13. h1kar1 macrumors regular

h1kar1

14. h1kar1 macrumors regular

h1kar1

talked to Macsales again after seeing this thread.

Wanted to switch the order to somthing else.

But lady convinced me to give nuram one more try.

she said nuram and owc memory is exactly the same. same chips
    only diffrence is warrentee.

She said she would over night me a new pair of somthing else if the next set does not work.

will keep you all posted.

15. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Anyone experiencing problems with the GSkill 8GB kits? I just ordered one from NewEgg and am waiting to get it still.

16. banalelectric macrumors member

I'm happy to report that I've been using my 8GB of NuRAM for about two months now and have had no such issues. (Thank god.) (And thank OWC for the lifetime warranty ;)

17. Kristine macrumors 6502a

Just an update:

I got my 2 x 8GB NuRam kits today. Both have been installed in 2010 15" i5 Macbook Pros and both working just fine.

18. h1kar1 macrumors regular

h1kar1

My replacement memeory comes will be delivered tomarrow.

Will keep you posted

19. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You can't just assume that because you have the issue, everyone else must have it too. That is not how it works. You should just exchange your defective ram for a new set.

20. MrCooperS macrumors member

I hope this isn't becoming an issue with NuRAM and i7 users because I was planning on moving on to 8GB sooner or later with NuRAM. :D

21. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It may just be that their quality control is not up to par, and that a lot of their RAM cards/chips/SO-DIMMS are defective. You never know.

22. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I had the 8gb NURam and returned mine for this issue. To recreate the problem put your MBP in sleep mode and let it sit by the air conditioner for an hour then turn it on with the Intel Graphics and you'll see the flickering. It only happens when the temperature of the CPU is below 35 degrees Celsius.

23. thaita78 macrumors newbie

Which 8GB kit are you using now?

24. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I'm not, I'm using only 1 4gb Nuram stick which works fine. Thinking of adding a 2gb stick so I'll have 6gb. I heard from many that the flickering only occurs with 8gb.

25. h1kar1 macrumors regular

h1kar1

Recived replacement memory yesterday.
    Intalled last night and have been working though out the day today.
    No issues 6hrs of use.

Could very well just of been a bad batch of Nuram that got out.