Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Looks like we could come up with some Doom3 benches and Call of duty and UT2K4 for our new 6800GTs. My son is getting world of warcraft so i should be able to use his briefly plus blizzard is very nice about putting Mac and PC on one disk. way to go blizzard.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Dont Hurt Me said:
Looks like we could come up with some Doom3 benches and Call of duty and UT2K4 for our new 6800GTs. My son is getting world of warcraft so i should be able to use his briefly plus blizzard is very nice about putting Mac and PC on one disk. way to go blizzard.

Good idea, I think Doom 3 for mac is due in December and I'll have to get UT2K4, not to mention the 6800GT... :) Perhaps we should try contacting Barefeats for some advice on how to benchmark the two computers. Morgan may be interested in the results of the tests as well...

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
WARNING

I have read that the 6800 chip has a hardware bug that affects video processing that can't be fixed (unless you count as "fixing" doing MPEG2 processing in software, for example). So don't buy it.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
cube said:
I have read that the 6800 chip has a hardware bug that affects video processing that can't be fixed (unless you count as "fixing" doing MPEG2 processing in software, for example). So don't buy it.

how about waiting until someone verifies this with their own experience first?

my understanding is MPEG2 processing is done in software on Macs anyhow, but I could be mistaken about that.

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
Pre-orders being taken

I found a way to preorder the card. Click on accessories -> Displays -> [CLICK ON THE 'LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS PRODUCT' LINK] below nVIDIA 6800 GT DDL. ...and there's your 'add to card' icon. I successfully placed an order, so it should work for all you guys.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Apparently OK

Rod Rod said:

my understanding is MPEG2 processing is done in software on Macs anyhow, but I could be mistaken about that.

An NVIDIA representative just said video processing will work with some new drivers and the NVIDIA DVD decoder (at least for PC).

6800 has programmable video processing tech including support for HD MPEG2 decode and SD MPEG2 encode.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Converted2Truth said:
I found a way to preorder the card. Click on accessories -> Displays -> [CLICK ON THE 'LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS PRODUCT' LINK] below nVIDIA 6800 GT DDL. ...and there's your 'add to card' icon. I successfully placed an order, so it should work for all you guys.

What's your estimated ship date?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Lord Blackadder said:
Mac video cards ALWAYS cost more, are de-clocked, and fewer in selection than their PC counterparts. Always. They don't HAVE to be slower and more expensive to work in a Mac! It would be nice if someone did something about that.

So what is the reason for this decrease performance and increase cost when it is made for the Mac?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Cool , i think you made a good choice it just a little sad that apple charges so much. I guess this card is a apple made to order card since Nvidia doesnt make boards. I wonder what the cooling scheme will be on the mac version. my unit has dual fans on it. Its a bfg model with a chrome cover around the fans. I really would have liked the mermaid look but oh well. You should have a very nice performing machine with dual G5s and that card.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Dont Hurt Me said:
Cool , i think you made a good choice it just a little sad that apple charges so much. I guess this card is a apple made to order card since Nvidia doesnt make boards. I wonder what the cooling scheme will be on the mac version. my unit has dual fans on it. Its a bfg model with a chrome cover around the fans. I really would have liked the mermaid look but oh well. You should have a very nice performing machine with dual G5s and that card.

Thanks a bunch. My ship date is "on or before 11/29." :)

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Rod Rod said:

It is busted from a certain point of view. They have never "officially" addressed the problem. It took a long time for nvidia to even release a driver that will hardware decode DVD via Directx VA. Actually, it's still beta, not even an "official" driver.
Some divx/xvid/mpeg4 files still hog cpu time. Let me repeat that, SOME, not ALL. Some of my divx movies play fine with low cpu time, others max out at 90 percent. Other people have worse problems. This is with a beta driver. With the official driver these files would hog 90 percent cpu time and dvd playback is also a resource hog.
The real kicker and what has pissed off we 6800 buyers is the apparent lack of WMV HD hardware decoding, maybe even the lack of HD hardware decoding in general. Even though nvidia implied that the VPU could do it way back in april/may there has been no driver that will enable hardware WMV HD decoding. There are a ton of forums blazing with this topic. There has been no official response from the big N about the VPU. I mean officially from Nvidia, not from the enquirer. We've been going on for 4 months with the only response from Nvidia is to wait till next month.
The "broken" VPU is fixed in the 6600GT and in the pci express 6800 cards(not 100% sure on this though). The 6600 GT has been confirmed to be able to decode WMV HD, but "really" only needs a driver update. Kinda strange that a mid level card gets a feature its big brother doesn't have, huh?
Do you want to research this? Do a search for Step Into Liquid and GeForce 6800 and see what you get.
Software mpeg2? I hated my PBG4's software dvd player.

Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester@ 2.40GHz
K8N Neo2 Platinum
1 GB OCZ Platinum Rev 2 (2-2-2-10) (5:6)
HTx4, FSB 240 prime stable
BFG 6800 GT@ 425/1100 stock bios/voltage
Pioneer DVR 108 unlocked
Liteon 52x32x52
WD 200 GB SATA
Audigy 2
Antec 480 TruePower
Linksys Wifi
Koolance EXOS mode 1
w/ blocks on CPU/GPU/MCP

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Lifted from the Tech Report
http://www.tech-report.com/

The GeForce 6800's video processor is broken
by Scott Wasson - 11:06 am, October 27, 2004

We're a little slow on the uptake around here when it comes to some news stories. For instance, various pockets of the web have been abuzz about some video acceleration deficiencies of the NV40 GPU powering all GeForce 6800-series graphics cards for a few weeks now. This morning, we received mail for TR reader Henrik S. asking this:

It seems that the current revision af AGP-GF6800 cards may have had almost all video acceleration in hardware disabled by an internal flaw. This means that in will _not_ be fixable by a driver update :-( Would you look into it?

To answer Henrik's question, we were actually aware of this problem shortly before we published our GeForce 6200 review, but it simply got lost in the mix. NVIDIA dropped 6200 cards on reviewers a few days before the card's official launch date, and it took a lot of long hours just to get that card's basic 3D capabilities reviewed properly. Originally, NVIDIA had planned to bust out the hoopla about the onboard video acceleration built into the NV43 GPU that powers the GeForce 6200/6600 cards, and they briefed us pretty extensively on those capabilities. However, they decided to delay that aspect of the product launch, in part because the drivers weren't ready.

One of the things we learned during that briefing was that the video processing unit in the original NV40 chip, from which the NV43 is derived, didn't quite live up to its billing. The NV40's programmable video processor, you may recall, was supposed to be a dedicated section of the GPU, distinct from the pixel shaders, capable of accelerating both encoding and decoding of advanced video formats like MPEG4 and WMV. NVIDIA told us at the time of NV40's launch that the video processing unit was unique in the GPU world, and that dedicating transistors on the chip to accelerating video processing was more elegant and efficient than using pixel shaders to handle such tasks. However, NVIDIA wasn't able to get everything working as planned in NV40 silicon, so the NV40 video processor cannot fully accelerate WMV, just MPEG2. Instead, it has to farm out encoding/decoding work to the CPU, as GeForce FX cards did.

NVIDIA also confirmed to us that NV40-based cards do "load balancing" between the video processor and pixel shaders for some video processing tasks, although we didn't get into the nuts and bolts of which computations were handled by the CPU, the video processor, and the pixel shaders. That's just for decoding, as far as I know. Anand did a nice write-up about this problem, and he said that NVIDIA wouldn't answer his questions about whether the NV40 will do any hardware encoding.

NVIDIA won't be able to fix this problem with a driver update, obviously, since the problem is in NV40 silicon. All current GeForce 6800 cards, both AGP and bridged PCI Express (NV45), are affected, and NVIDIA gave us no indication that they plan to fix the video processor silicon in a newer revision of NV40. I expect they will simply replace NV40 with a newer high-end NV4x GPU and incorporate the fixes at that time, as they've done with the lower-end NV43.

At present, even NV43-based cards can't make use of the advanced encode/decode capabilities of the video processor, because NVIDIA hasn't supplied the world with a working driver for it yet. NVIDIA has promised an updated driver and codec software layer to make this work in the relatively near future. When we get our hands on it, we plan to test CPU utilization and the like with an NV43, NV40, and competing ATI products, so we can see the real-world impact of these problems.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
cube said:
An NVIDIA representative just said video processing will work with some new drivers and the NVIDIA DVD decoder (at least for PC).

6800 has programmable video processing tech including support for HD MPEG2 decode and SD MPEG2 encode.

Hardware HD MPEG2 decoding? Unknown if that works yet. The tests that i have read about only showed hardware HD decoding on nvidia pci express cards, namely the 6600 GT. At this point i don't trust a thing outta nvidia. After 4 months of "wait till next month" 6800 owners are fed up.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
New 6800 bug info

So it seems that the new PC drivers implement more of a workaround than a fix.
Apparently some computations have been moved to software (some moved to pixel shaders, but I guess that's OK unless you're displaying movies in a 3D world). Read here.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
invaLPsion said:
Thanks a bunch. My ship date is "on or before 11/29." :)
Just to let you know i did the time demo on Doom3 with my AMD 3500+ and 6800GT. Settings everything on, high detail no AA at 1024 x 768 got 69.6 FPS

@ 1280 x 1024 same settings dropped to 54.6 FPS.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Dont Hurt Me said:
Just to let you know i did the time demo on Doom3 with my AMD 3500+ and 6800GT. Settings everything on, high detail no AA at 1024 x 768 got 69.6 FPS

@ 1280 x 1024 same settings dropped to 54.6 FPS.

The Time Demo comes with the game, right?

clr900

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
How about we do some comparisons right now? I guess I have a slight advantage but then again I have the disadvantage of having to use the ported games. I have been playing the WoW beta and been getting really nice frames at 1280x1024 with every setting on high except for this one called full bloom effect which I'm not sure why but drops my frames to under 5 whenever I turn it on. I also have halo, call of duty, splinter cell. Not sure how to check the frames in all of those but I'm sure we could figure it out.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
invaLPsion said:
The Time Demo comes with the game, right?
Yes it does and it easy to run, i was surprised at such a drop in frames from 1024 to 1280 but it is still very acceptable at 55 FPS at 1280. I think if the game is running at 30 fps its not going to look so well making me think that Powermac will be the only Mac to really play the game. Listen guys when those 6800s start arriving we will have to open a new benchmark thread.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Dont Hurt Me said:
Yes it does and it easy to run, i was surprised at such a drop in frames from 1024 to 1280 but it is still very acceptable at 55 FPS at 1280. I think if the game is running at 30 fps its not going to look so well making me think that Powermac will be the only Mac to really play the game. Listen guys when those 6800s start arriving we will have to open a new benchmark thread.

No doubt. It's a terrific idea. :)

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
The 6800GT is a much better value than the 6800 Ultra. The $599 6800Ultra costs 20% more than the 6800 GT at only $499 however the 6800 Ultra is generally much less than 10% faster in most cases but demands a 20% higher premium.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2113&p=1

Read the article and think about the benchmarks in some cases the 6800Ultra is no faster than the 6800GT and when it is it only beats the 6800GT by usually 3-5 Frames per second. Actually if you average the Performance gain that the Ultra has over the GT it really is only about
5-8% which litterally translates to a less than 5 FPS difference which is unoticable in the grand scheme of things. The Price to performance Ratio gets worse for the 6800Ultra if you are thinking about BTO because the $100 price difference is still there. So instead of paying 20% more for the ultra at $599 vs. $499 for GT one winds up paying 25% more for the Ultra at $500 BTO in contrast to the GT at $400 BTO. It gets worse if your are looking at the Dual G5 2.5 because the $100 price difference is still there even though it costs $50 less to BTO on the Dual 2.5 G5. $350 BTO for the GT while the Ultra BTO costs $450 so you actually spend 28.5% more for a 5% average performance increase.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
clr900 said:
How about we do some comparisons right now? I guess I have a slight advantage but then again I have the disadvantage of having to use the ported games. I have been playing the WoW beta and been getting really nice frames at 1280x1024 with every setting on high except for this one called full bloom effect which I'm not sure why but drops my frames to under 5 whenever I turn it on. I also have halo, call of duty, splinter cell. Not sure how to check the frames in all of those but I'm sure we could figure it out.
We will soon, since iam a new PC user.....yeah i hear the boo's :cool: all of my library is in Mac and am starting a new collection but its not like i can just throw bucks all at once on new titles. Next Title for me will be either Halflife2 or maybe ill make due with Call of Duty. I like halflife2 better but it would be another title that hasnt made it to Mac yet.
I think its time we start the benchmark thread for 6800 users since they are now trickling out and ask posters to post machine specs,Title of Game, all game settings,resolution and then use in game time demo's if possible to have realworld benches. Any opinions?

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Dont Hurt Me said:
We will soon, since iam a new PC user.....yeah i hear the boo's :cool: all of my library is in Mac and am starting a new collection but its not like i can just throw bucks all at once on new titles. Next Title for me will be either Halflife2 or maybe ill make due with Call of Duty. I like halflife2 better but it would be another title that hasnt made it to Mac yet.
I think its time we start the benchmark thread for 6800 users since they are now trickling out and ask posters to post machine specs,Title of Game, all game settings,resolution and then use in game time demo's if possible to have realworld benches. Any opinions?

Start er up. But lets make sure we keep this thread alive long enough for the GTs to start rolling in and for Doom3 and other titles to arive...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.