Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Converted2Truth said:
From what i understand, there are NO 30" displays out there other than apple's. And apple's 30" uses dual link DVI for signal. If you were to try and push it with a vcard that didn't have DUAL link dvi, then you'd only light up the bottom half of the monitor.

I don't care how much you pay for a fire-gl or whatever, they're not gonna push a 30" without dual link dvi

http://www.ati.com/products/fireglvseries/

look under Display support Dual DVI PLUS SUPPORT for Dual Link DVI for resolutions up to 3480x2400!! higher than that of even the 30" Apple Cinema Displays.

As For Nvidia:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_11761.html

Super High Resolution Dual Link DVI LCD From IBM runs at 3480x2400 albeit at $7,000 and only at 22.2 inches.

http://www.monitorgalaxy.com/catalog/1384.cfm

The 30" Cinema Can be run on a PC as proven here by some folks on Apple's own Discussion boards.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@10.gaEdaSgYBN1.1@.689d7cb8

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
invaLPsion said:
My 6800GT shipped out today! :D

The 9600 XT is now up for sale!

awesome, congratulations. I bet you've already started the 30" ACD savings fund. I plan to include the 30" display in the budget proposal I submit for my next big project.

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
invaLPsion said:
My 6800GT shipped out today! :D

The 9600 XT is now up for sale!
Mine too. Although it won't actually ship until monday. FexEx shows nada. I wouldn't ebay the xt if i were you... just in case you ever plan on upgrading your machine and keeping the newer card. Then again, you've got a 2.5! nevermind...

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Rod Rod said:
awesome, congratulations. I bet you've already started the 30" ACD savings fund. I plan to include the 30" display in the budget proposal I submit for my next big project.

Ha, I don't need a 30 inch display.............

(Checks Apple.com)

But it is pretty big..... hmmmmm..... :D

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
I noticed that earlier today too. I'm soo excited to get mine... wish i would have overnight'd it here. I don't know why i am so excited... i don't really have a game that will impress me

Here are the games I have:
AVP
AVP2
MOHAA
COD
WCIII + FT
Diablo I/II/LOD
SC
Duke3D (doesn't work on my G5 though)

and i have demo's gallore. I was going to buy KOTOR, but decided against it when i could buy it for my PC at $19.00. I already have doom3/sims2 and some others for the PC, and i don't want to buy the same game twice. I was excited for "Men of Valor" cause the PC multiplayer demo rocks, but they just pushed the release date back till Feb. So i don't really have a sweeeet game to tickle my underside. Any ideas? I already have Halo for xbox, so i don't want to get that... How about UT2004? only thing is, i don't know when UT2005 will come out? Any advise on a sweeet (graphically) game to play on the mac?

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Converted2Truth said:
I noticed that earlier today too. I'm soo excited to get mine... wish i would have overnight'd it here. I don't know why i am so excited... i don't really have a game that will impress me

Any advise on a sweeet (graphically) game to play on the mac?

I, too am excited. It's set to arrive on Friday. I can't wait to try UT2K4 and COD on this beast.

The Game I am excited to play with everything turned to max is WoW. The Scenery in that game is simply breathtaking. But on the Gryphon rides with a 9600XT the FPS drops to the lower teens, and that's with some settings turned down and no shaders or AA... (Don't get me wrong, WoW still plays very well on a 9600XT)

But, I can't wait to see how the 6800GT handles it.:)

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
How long does the open beta last till? Have you preordered the game?

Edit: Also, i'm dying to ask people on these forums... Why you're playing WOW, and youre with a bunch of other mac players, do you use a voice comm program? Ventrillo? ichat? Personally, i'd like to be chatting with my friend rather than just typeing all the time... although that works too. The guys i know who play starwars galaxies all use voice comm via ventrillo, but i don't know if they have a mac client out yet. Do you voice comm with anyone?

Also, you think WOW will be awesome on your machine, but will AF/FSAA be enabled with Retail release? will it push your card if those features aren't an option?

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Converted2Truth said:
How long does the open beta last till? Have you preordered the game?

Edit: Also, i'm dying to ask people on these forums... Why you're playing WOW, and youre with a bunch of other mac players, do you use a voice comm program? Ventrillo? ichat? Personally, i'd like to be chatting with my friend rather than just typeing all the time... although that works too. The guys i know who play starwars galaxies all use voice comm via ventrillo, but i don't know if they have a mac client out yet. Do you voice comm with anyone?

Also, you think WOW will be awesome on your machine, but will AF/FSAA be enabled with Retail release? will it push your card if those features aren't an option?

The open beta will last till the game comes out on the 23rd or it will end a few days before. I have preordered the colector's edition from my local Gamestop.

When I play WoW I usually play by myself or my friends will come over for a WoW LAN, which is much more enjoyable. It's a lot more personal and easier to party together.

I'm not sure if FSAA/AF will be enabled by retail, but I do know that the mac programmers at Blizzard are working on a mac-only patch and have been for some time to correct this issue.

With all of the other features turned to Max, I do not expect it to push the 6800 GT even close to its limits (we'll have to wait for Doom3 in Feb) but the game will certainly provide plenty of eye candy at high frame rates on the 6800 GT.

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
invaLPsion said:
When I play WoW I usually play by myself or my friends will come over for a WoW LAN, which is much more enjoyable. It's a lot more personal and easier to party together.

I've heard others talk about this too. I don't get it. I thought WOW was only an MMORPG that required access strictly to WOW's dedicated servers? Are you still connecting to a wow server? if so, why host the party when you're all online anyway? Can you play WOW offline?... on a LAN?

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Converted2Truth said:
I've heard others talk about this too. I don't get it. I thought WOW was only an MMORPG that required access strictly to WOW's dedicated servers? Are you still connecting to a wow server? if so, why host the party when you're all online anyway? Can you play WOW offline?... on a LAN?

It is. We all connect to the same sever and play together in a much more fun and personal environment. The human interaction takes the game to another notch of enjoyment in my opinion. You cannot play WoW offline.

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
So my card looks just like an Ultra. System Profiler shows it as a GT though. Anyway, i've run every game i have maxed out and its fast as anything i've seen. Later tonight i will try all my games with my CRT with a max res of 1600x1200. Right now i'm running everything on my 17" apple studio

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Converted2Truth said:
So my card looks just like an Ultra. System Profiler shows it as a GT though. Anyway, i've run every game i have maxed out and its fast as anything i've seen. Later tonight i will try all my games with my CRT with a max res of 1600x1200. Right now i'm running everything on my 17" apple studio

Looking at them the Ultra and GT look identical. The difference is the GPU of the Ultra has the extra shaders and pixel pipelines for the super high end graphics that are yet to come.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
UnixMac said:
Looking at them the Ultra and GT look identical. The difference is the GPU of the Ultra has the extra shaders and pixel pipelines for the super high end graphics that are yet to come.
6800GT and 6800 Utra both have 16 pipes and same shaders. difference is memory speed and clock speed if i recall and that is only slight.

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Dont Hurt Me said:
6800GT and 6800 Utra both have 16 pipes and same shaders. difference is memory speed and clock speed if i recall and that is only slight.

I stand corrected... I misread the article on the subject as the 12 pipes was a different Nv card, and not the GT.

IT's clock speed and Memory Bandwidth that are different on the GT vs Ultra.

Converted2Truth

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2004
Hell@HighAltitude
I would also venture to say that the GT has the SAME EXACT board. I bet it's got the same memory as an Ultra etc etc. It's just that the board has been flashed to lower clock speeds because it's got the GT chip.

Remember that the GT is a GT (and not an Ultra) because it didn't meet clock speeds required for the title 'Ultra'. It's the same story as the 9800pro and 9800XT. Both the same exact chip, but one can operate faster without artifacts/overheating.

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Converted2Truth said:
I would also venture to say that the GT has the SAME EXACT board. I bet it's got the same memory as an Ultra etc etc. It's just that the board has been flashed to lower clock speeds because it's got the GT chip.

Remember that the GT is a GT (and not an Ultra) because it didn't meet clock speeds required for the title 'Ultra'. It's the same story as the 9800pro and 9800XT. Both the same exact chip, but one can operate faster without artifacts/overheating.

Yeah... actually the RAM on the ULTRA is rated at 50mhz lower than the card, that is to say... it's overclocked RAM.. this according to an article I read on the card somewhere on the PC side of the internet.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
Question

How would I go about uninstalling Ati Displays and AtiAccelerator before I put in the Nvidia 6800 GT?

Edit: And the ATi-only screen savers?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
invaLPsion said:
How would I go about uninstalling Ati Displays and AtiAccelerator before I put in the Nvidia 6800 GT?

Edit: And the ATi-only screen savers?
Why would you do this? Surely the nVidia equivalents are on your Mac, or easily obtained if they aren't. Besides - what will you do if you later switch to an ATI card?

Edit: Screen savers are easy to remove - I'd just disable them by moving them to another folder instead of deleting them just in case you get an ATI card to replace that nVidia 6800 GT. They're files with a .saver extension.

UnixMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
wrldwzrd89 said:
Why would you do this? Surely the nVidia equivalents are on your Mac, or easily obtained if they aren't. Besides - what will you do if you later switch to an ATI card?

I think he's worried about possible conflicts with the drivers and such, especially with the ATI tweaks that he has plugged in.

I wouldn't worry too much, but you can just do a search in your MAC HD using the finder search feature for anything with ATI in it and drag it to the trash if you're that worried I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.