Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mktb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
mbpissue3augfz0.jpg

Enough said. Daily occurrence.

mktb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
take it back and get another one

Enough Said.

It's way over the 14 day return.

They'll want to take my MPB and do hardware testing - unfortunately, I don't have another computer to use. And I'm not ready to drop $100 restocking fee on buying a Mac Mini and returning it.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
It's way over the 14 day return.

They'll want to take my MPB and do hardware testing - unfortunately, I don't have another computer to use. And I'm not ready to drop $100 restocking fee on buying a Mac Mini and returning it.

well you have a problem there im afraid.

i am SERIOUSLY recommending taking it in and getting it fixed (it will be under warranty so it wont cost anything) just because can you seriously put up with that happening daily??? i know i sure couldnt...

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
You're making it up. Steve himself told me that the chips are fine.

This needs to be addressed. NOW.

I sure hope that was sarcasm. I think it was, given the attachment you posted. This is why I hate talking to people through only text; it makes it difficult to understand the other person's feelings.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I sure hope that was sarcasm. I think it was, given the attachment you posted. This is why I hate talking to people through only text; it makes it difficult to understand the other person's feelings.

The attachment is real; that's his actual response. When I put, "This needs to be addressed. NOW." I was referring to the defective GPU problem that is so readily showing its face. Text does tend to leave something to be desired in the way of emotion...

jcandrada

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2008
Paraguay
The attachment is real; that's his actual response. When I put, "This needs to be addressed. NOW." I was referring to the defective GPU problem that is so readily showing its face. Text does tend to leave something to be desired in the way of emotion...

Why don't we all start writting email to Steve Jobs (sjobs@apple.com) attaching this kind of pictures until he realises that THERE IS A PROBLEM! let's start bombarding him with emails...

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Why don't we all start writting email to Steve Jobs (sjobs@apple.com) attaching this kind of pictures until he realises that THERE IS A PROBLEM! let's start bombarding him with emails...

Oh come on. He knows full well.

He's not exactly the compassionate type... if he thinks he can get away with something without it affecting him more than he cares about, he'll do it.

Like I said to Tallest Skull in the other thread, Stevey isn't exactly known for his scrupulousness.

I almost want to tell you to underclock the memory, though. It kinda looks like the visual anomalies you see from overheating VRAM... only maybe slightly different and more severe... =x

Given that we can see it in a screenshot, it's for sure that it's something actually residing in the frame buffer, and not a problem of screen draw, so that tells us something, I guess.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Oh come on. He knows full well.

Given that we can see it in a screenshot, it's for sure that it's something actually residing in the frame buffer, and not a problem of screen draw, so that tells us something, I guess.

hahahaha YOU may be able to tell, that went completely over my head hahahahaha :p

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Lol.... I only meant that if something's not in the frame buffer, it won't show up in a screenshot... kind of like how often if you try to SS a DivX movie (at least on a PC? haven't tried it on a Mac, actually), it shows up as a black screen.

Actually, this was a problem for 3dfx with their VooDoo 3 series. They used dithering that basically got them up to "22-bit color," but this was after-magic, and their frame buffer stored 16-bit color, and so in screenshots they looked much poorer quality than the competing nVidia card at the time in 32-bit (even though on-screen differences were negligible). This didn't help sales, especially in conjunction with nVidia raving about 32-bit color support (even though the Riva wasn't powerful enough to really use it at playable resolutions).

vm7118

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
NJ, USA
Lol.... I only meant that if something's not in the frame buffer, it won't show up in a screenshot... kind of like how often if you try to SS a DivX movie (at least on a PC? haven't tried it on a Mac, actually), it shows up as a black screen.

Actually, this was a problem for 3dfx with their VooDoo 3 series. They used dithering that basically got them up to "22-bit color," but this was after-magic, and their frame buffer stored 16-bit color, and so in screenshots they looked much poorer quality than the competing nVidia card at the time in 32-bit (even though on-screen differences were negligible). This didn't help sales, especially in conjunction with nVidia raving about 32-bit color support (even though the Riva wasn't powerful enough to really use it at playable resolutions).

3dfx was an AMAZING company; it was so sad when they went under. i loved their voodoo series of cards... they're what first got me into computer hardware.

if they were around today, and making notebook GPU's, my macbook pro wouldn't be out for repair for the next week because of the dreaded "blank screen of death" issue. and if it was, they would have publicly acknowledged their mistakes and implemented some great customer service... although i guess it is that forthright customer service that bankrupted them in the first place.

lets just hope nvidia learns from their mistakes if they come out of this in any position to continue being apple's supplier. and ati too, for that matter.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

ok i can now understand a frame buffer now (i related it back to some 6800 programming that I did, which uses Hex values to represent different symbols etc). thanks for that :)

zsft

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2008
this thread should be on the front page. Along with steve's reply. Lovely. I'm sure even Bill Gates would have admit his mistakes by now.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
I think it's hard to pretend that there's no problem when so many reports of failing GPUs are popping up. Dell and HP have admitted it and tried to fix the problem so why can't Apple do the same?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
I think it's hard to pretend that there's no problem when so many reports of failing GPUs are popping up. Dell and HP have admitted it and tried to fix the problem so why can't Apple do the same?

How have they tried to fix it when nVidia themselves haven't even admitted it? Once nVidia admits it, Apple will force them to pay for the recall.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
You're making it up. Steve himself told me that the chips are fine.

This needs to be addressed. NOW.
Hoo.. imagine the amount of junk mail that dude gets :O, I never knew that that was his real email.

--

Since you bought your MBP just recently, isn't it under warranty and won't the Apple Store go and fix it/replace it for you because of this defect?

I know you need a computer to work with and all but worst thing that can happen is that you show them the problem and they'll say that they need to take it in for testing and can't replace it off the bat.

Even then, you'll still get somewhere.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
Since you bought your MBP just recently, isn't it under warranty and won't the Apple Store go and fix it/replace it for you because of this defect?

I know you need a computer to work with and all but worst thing that can happen is that you show them the problem and they'll say that they need to take it in for testing and can't replace it off the bat.

Even then, you'll still get somewhere.

Well, it's actually my mom's computer, but I'll be using it until I can get the laptop in my signature. The underlying point is: I did NOT want to buy this laptop. I wanted to wait for Montevina because of this defect (and because the GPU is a year old, anyway). I had to buy so that I had A computer in time to go to Ireland. If Montevina comes out, I may even exchange over there if it comes to that. I was just NOT planning to BUY over there because the price is nearly twice that of here.

Coincidentally, if Montevina comes out while I'm over there, or if this MacBook Pro has a GPU failure while I'm over there, can I exchange for Montevina or get a replacement up (to Montevina) from an Apple Store in Great Britain (I know that Ireland doesn't have any, so I'd just hop across the Irish Sea sometime)? I bought from the Developer Store, so I'll probably need my documentation. Would I be able to do this exchange should it come to it?

jpfahy

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Well if you get your MBP repaired, all they will do is replace the defective part with a new one that is just as likely to fail again. Apparently its a design problem that affects that whole line of chips - so the replacement will be defective from the get go.
nVidia haven't so far admitted that there is a problem and therefore there is no modified design yet.
I wouldn't be too anxious to have my beautiful MBP pulled apart by some half trained technician to replace the logic board/graphics chip and then have it go faulty again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.