Nvidia Driver For Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Shorties, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Shorties macrumors 6502a

I Installed Boot Camp and Vista but the Nvidia driver that was included with bootcamp isnt working too well with Halo 2 Vista, Ive tried to install the drivers and beta drivers from the Nvidia website but I always get the error: "The Nvidia Setup Program Could Not Locate Any Drivers That Are Compatable With your current hardware". Anyone know how to fix this?

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

You need to wait for the bootcamp drivers to be updated.

3. Shorties thread starter macrumors 6502a

So there is no way to update the driver yourself?

4. mtull macrumors newbie

5. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

The drivers from LaptopVideo2Go.com should work for you if you absolutely must have them now.

6. Shorties thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

It is interesting this happens on the MBP nVidia card but our daughter's ATI x1900 in the MacPro works fine with the ATI downloaded driver.

Cheers,

8. TheStranger55 macrumors member

I can't seem to find a vista 32 bit driver for the geforce 8600m gt or my macbook pro. The link the above poster gave was for the 64 bit version of Vista.

Well actually I found a driver but it has no modded inf yet. Does anyone know where I can get a proper driver and INF?

Thanks in advance.

9. DjAndy macrumors newbie

10. Nohg macrumors member

Heya all. Having a small problem with thee drivers. When I attempt to d/l the laptop2go drivers and install them, the setup says "Can't find any computable drives or hardware (basically telling me that I apparently don't have an nvidia geforce 8600 in my laptop. So, needless to say I'm a bi confused, because I really do have Nvidia equipment. The reason I'm trying to updte is that Splinter Cell Double Agent keeps making all the models stretch out like spaghetti and function improperly.

Anyway, i'm running bootcamp 1.4 on the latest incarnation of the Mac Book Pro.

Thanks for the help.

11. TheStranger55 macrumors member

Did you download the modded INF file that came with that driver? You gotta download both the driver and the modded INF file and replace that driver's inf file with the modded one.

12. Nohg macrumors member

Where's that go? (sorry, so used to mac, plug it in and it just works.)

*edit* Should the inf be disappearing from the place I d/l it to?

13. TheStranger55 macrumors member

Ok after you download the driver and then the modded INF. Extract the drivers to a location of your choice. Then open the extracted folder and look for an INF file that has the same name as your modded one.

Replace that one with the modded INF and run setup.

14. Nohg macrumors member

I tried both mtehods, and both times my Nvidia 8600 becomes a CM51 on the hardware screen and gives me BSOD when i try and run a game. :( So i system restored and went back to my current state. My only remaining question is, why does the .inf file not appear in the folder I saved it in?
    *edit*

I tried just "saving as" in the extracted folder and overwriting the .inf file apparently already in there, still, I seem to not have the graphics card that i actaully do have...

15. Raptor007 macrumors newbie

Raptor007

Manually tweak your own inf file instead!

I did the driver inf tweak manually for my MacBook Pro's 8600M GT. Here's how:

1. Download and extract the official Nvidia driver. You can do this either by running it (it'll go to C:\NVIDIA\...), or right-clicking and extracting to a folder (if you have WinRAR/7zip/etc).

2. In the extracted folder, open nv4_disp.inf in Notepad.

3. Under [NVIDIA.Mfg], find this:
    Code:
    %NVIDIA_G84.DEV_0402.1%  = nv4_WSApps_NV3x,          PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0402
    %NVIDIA_G86.DEV_0421.1%  = nv_G86_1,                 PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0421

4. Insert a line (which I adapted from Apple's Boot Camp 1.4 drivers) between them like so:
    Code:
    %NVIDIA_G84.DEV_0402.1%  = nv4_WSApps_NV3x,          PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0402
    [b]%NVIDIA_G84.DEV_0407.1%  = nv4_WSApps_NV3x,          PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0407&SUBSYS_00A0106B[/b]
    %NVIDIA_G86.DEV_0421.1%  = nv_G86_1,                 PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0421

This tells the drivers how to find your video card and which driver to install. I told it to install the 8600 GT driver.

5. Find this in Localizable Strings:
    Code:
    NVIDIA_G84.DEV_0402.1  = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT"
    NVIDIA_G86.DEV_0421.1  = "NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT"

6. Insert a line between them like so:
    Code:
    NVIDIA_G84.DEV_0402.1  = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT"
    [b]NVIDIA_G84.DEV_0407.1  = "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT"[/b]
    NVIDIA_G86.DEV_0421.1  = "NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT"

This tells the drivers what your video card is named.

7. Run setup.exe and it should now detect your card and install the driver. It may not count as WHQL certified for your hardware, so make sure your computer is set to allow unsigned drivers.

That's all there is to it! :) Working perfectly for me here. Fixed a few game bugs, and allowed me to enable Triple Buffering too!

16. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

There is an easier way to install the drivers from Laptopvideo2go.

1. Download the drivers and extract them to a folder
    2. Open the Device Manager and double click on the video adapter
    3. Click the driver tab and update driver
    4. Select "No not at this time"
    5. Click "Install from a list or specific location"
    6. Click "Don't search . I will choose the driver to install"
    7. Browse to the folder with the drivers and select the 8600 GT.

Thats it.

17. Nohg macrumors member

What number is that from Nvidia's site? It says 162 on my web browser, but several driver scan utile tell me I have ver. 163.44 from Bootcamp, am I then downloading an *older* driver?

18. Nohg macrumors member

What number is that from Nvidia's site? It says 162 on my web browser, but several driver scan utile tell me I have ver. 163.44 from Bootcamp, am I then downloading an *older* driver?

Raptor, you are a saint BTW, newer driver or not, I finally got it to install!

19. Raptor007 macrumors newbie

Raptor007

I'm not certain what version Apple gives us, but it is a bit limited and buggy compared to the official Nvidia driver. If Apple's is newer than Nvidia's latest, it may even be based on Nvidia beta drivers, though I'm just speculating. Whatever the case, things are working much better for me with the official driver.

Glad that it worked for you too. :)

20. LMO macrumors member

After installing from Boot Camp 1.4, Device Manager shows:
    7.15.11.134 5/22/2007

21. Nohg macrumors member

One last question, can I download the newest of the new from laptopvideo2go and mod the INF myself?

22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They supply the modified INF file as well.

Oh and yes.

23. Nohg macrumors member

Well that's the thing though. When i did it myself, it worked. When I tried they pre-done INF, I got the same old error.

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had their modified INFs all work before for other cards. If you got it working yourself then I don't think it's an issue anymore. :p

25. Raptor007 macrumors newbie

Raptor007

I don't see why not.

On the other hand, the "newest of the new" isn't always a better (surprised to see myself typing that, actually). Very often, the newer drivers are leaked betas or OEM drivers for some particular hardware. I only delve into Nvidia beta drivers when I hear that it'll solve a particular issue that I'm having. Otherwise, I stick to the release versions.

If you really want the newest of the new, Nvidia offers their beta drivers here:
    http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html

Looks like 163.44 (the version Apple gives us in Boot Camp 1.4) is indeed a beta version.