Nvidia Driver For Macbook Pro

Nohg

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007
True true thanks. And on a completely unrelated note, I think I drove through your town on my senior trip a couple years ago. I think we stopped there where your McDonalds etc were. Unrelated, but just the same, it happened.

driftnut56

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
well, i don't have any problems ... yet

I'm not sure about you guys but I just installed the nvidia beta drivers today, and my macbook pro is running halo 2 like a champ. I am going to try and play Crysis which on XP ran quite well. I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic and I have to say, now that the optimization engines have kicked in, it is quite responsive. I havn't even installed SP1.

ryannazaretian

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Mississippi
I'm not sure about you guys but I just installed the nvidia beta drivers today, and my macbook pro is running halo 2 like a champ. I am going to try and play Crysis which on XP ran quite well. I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic and I have to say, now that the optimization engines have kicked in, it is quite responsive. I havn't even installed SP1.
Yea... that was a year and a half ago. Sorry...

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Yeah, the new Nvidia notebook drivers are running awesome (even if they are in beta). I've never had any luck with the laptopvideo2go drivers (yes, they installed fine, but actually performed worse than the default Boot Camp drivers).

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
Yeah, the new Nvidia notebook drivers are running awesome (even if they are in beta). I've never had any luck with the laptopvideo2go drivers (yes, they installed fine, but actually performed worse than the default Boot Camp drivers).
Cool, I'm glad to hear that. My new MBP came has the older 176.44 drivers (Bootcamp 2.1 Update installed) so I would like to update them. I'm new to Mac's so I'm a little nervous about 'screwing' around with it yet unlike like my PC which I built myself. I'm not comfortable with using the Laptopvideo2go modified drivers (yet). The Nvidia Notebook Beta beta driver sounds great.

Question, did you have to modify the Nvidia Beta driver inf. file? (I have a 9400/9600M GPU). With my MBP do I download and install the driver just like I have with my PC? (I'm running XP SP3 via Bootcamp). Thanks

Codeseven

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Thanks! I'm hoping this will help my gameplay in FSX.

Did you use a 'driver' cleaner' before installing and which one?

Also, a dumb question but, when you update the GPU driver while on the Bootcamp Windows side, does it also change it for the OSX side?

No. They're completely different (driver wise).

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
No. They're completely different (driver wise).
I think that clears up some confusion on my part. I've been reading thru alot of Mac forums and people keep saying there are no new GPU drivers for their Mac OSX rig. I think now that they were referring to Apple specific GPU drivers that enable other functions in OSX, right?

So, once on the Bootcamp Windows side I can treat my MBP as a 'PC' when it comes to drivers as long as their 'Notebook' drivers for my 9600M?

What about other drivers like Chipset and Motherboard?

Thanks for your help.

slayermongi

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009
hi guys, i thought this is the right place to ask this:

i have the newest MBP (2.53 GhZ & GeForce 9600M GT) and have big issues installing the new nvidia drivers. i am running win XP MCE & SP3. neither am i able to install the laptopvideo2go-drivers with the modded inf, nor the afore mentioned "official" nvidia laptop drivers. during install i still get the notice that setup cannot find any drivers compatible with my hardware.

so what am i doing wrong? i was not able to figure it out yet...
any help appreciated, thx*

imm22

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Portugal

i have the newest MBP (2.53 GhZ & GeForce 9600M GT) and have big issues installing the new nvidia drivers. i am running win XP MCE & SP3. neither am i able to install the laptopvideo2go-drivers with the modded inf, nor the afore mentioned "official" nvidia laptop drivers. during install i still get the notice that setup cannot find any drivers compatible with my hardware.

I have the exact same problem !

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California

I have read other people with this problem, and have yet to find a solution or reason for it. But I'll be you it'll be fixed in the next driver release.

slayermongi

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2009
Actually I found the problem! Prviously I updated the drivers via their respective setup.exe, which seems to be a major problem.
So I used the WinXP restore points to restore my drivers to their initial state.
Then I went through Device Manager -> Display Devices -> Update driver -> Manual selection of the driver (modded inf from laptopvideo2go) -> ignore warning -> et voilà!
Now I can play!!! WEEEEE!

sporkland

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
Figured out why 195.62 wasn't working

I think someone fat fingered a device ID at NVIDIA on the latest dirvers.

I was trying to install the notebook drivers that others had mentioned and having the "Nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible" problem. Here is the fix.

Download the driver from:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_drivers.html

Double click on it, it will extract some files and then fail to install.

Open Windows Explorer and goto:
C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\195.62\WinVista_Win7_64\International

Open ListDevices.txt in that directory.

Go to the NVAO.INF section (apparently AO is the apple identifier).
You'll notice this line: DEV_0647&SUBSYS_00B0106B "NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT"
That is basically the device id for my card, except the 00B0106B should be 00BC106B.

So change:
DEV_0647&SUBSYS_00B0106B "NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT"​
to
DEV_0647&SUBSYS_00BC106B "NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT"​

Open the "nvao.inf" in the same directory.
Use find and replace (CTRL+H) in notepad and search for:
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0647&SUBSYS_00B0106B​
and replace it with:
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0647&SUBSYS_00BC106B​

Run setup.exe.

And enjoy the new drivers!