Nvidia G84 & G86 chips all faulty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lucero1148, Jul 9, 2008.

1. lucero1148 macrumors member

the following news report on Nvidia G84 & G86 chips ARE ALL FAULTY has me concerned that MBP's with the G8600 chips are also affected.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/07/09/nvidia.g84.g86.faulty/

"Despite NVIDIA's claims, the Inquirer reports all, not just a select batch, of the company's G84 and G86 chipsets used in GeForce 8400M and 8600M graphics cards are suffering from heat-related failures due to an unidentified substrate or bumping material used to help make the video hardware. They all share the same application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC), which is the source of the problems, in both notebook and desktop PCs. The chips have been failing since last year."

I bought my MBP in July 07 and had my logic board replaced May 28 and on Jun 27 I had to drop my MBP with Apple repair for exactly the same problem.
    My MBP suffered over heating, frequent crashes until it would no longer chime on startup and the screen remained black. Again the logic board is being replaced.

From what I've seen on other forums there are a lot of owners out there having their screens die and their logic board replaced once or twice within their first year of ownership. I'm lucky my logic board died a 2nd time while still under its one year warranty but if it breaks down next month once again its going to be a catastrophe.

Apple should be addressing this product flaw.

Patrick

2. hitnrun7 Guest

The three of my friends who have MBPs with the 8600 have never had a single problem, and yes i have more than three friends before some idiot says that...

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Man now I'm seriously thinking about selling my mbp tonight~

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Well isn't that rather strange.

When the Al-iMac came out with all the ATI video problems people were irate and yelling for/demading the Nvidia chip.

Now the tables have turned and people want to dump the mobile Nvidia GPUs.

---

I wonder how many people sold their al-iMac and bought the MBP so they can get rid of the ATI 2400/2600 and its problems and go with the Nvidia 8600.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I , for one, absolutely hate ATI with a passion (too many years of faulty drivers that were incompatible with my systems) and nvidia has me won over, especially with their workstation cards and nforce chipsets :D, but I havn't had a single issue on my two macbook pros. So i'm not ready to dump them *yet*.

6. valvehead macrumors regular

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about this. Just because there are some bad chips out there it doesn't mean that yours will fail.

If this is caused by heat, then the fans should be turned up. I use smcFanControl all of the time. I never let my CPU and GPU temps get above 60°C. I'd rather put up with a little more fan noise than shorten the life of the chips.

Admittedly I shouldn't have to turn up the fans manually. Apple should change the temperature/fan speed mappings to turn up earlier.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Your missing the point, they reported that its "all" nvidia gpu's that are defective.

Eventually they will fail within the next year or two and if lucky 3.. what worries me the most is that I wanted to keep my laptop even after apple care and what if my gpu doesnt die until the 4th year.. then i'm totally screwed.

8. prism macrumors 6502a

Uhhhh, after four years I doubt any computer will serve for more than just a paperweight.

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I dont think today's mbp would just be paper weight in 4-5 years from now and could still be used as primary computer to do all websurfing/movies/music/dling etc.. and also to keep the laptop as a second machine or running a small server or even consider selling it after the 3rd year of apple care.

Its like the powerbook g4 owners that bought a powerbook just 3 years ago all failling right about now. And this isnt "what if" its more of "eventually and soon".

I'm definitely going to flip my mbp tomarrow morning on ebay and just loose a couple to few hundred and I think I"ll wait until the new mbp with ATI cards arrive sometime within the 1-2 months. And I'll pick up a mac mini for now, better yet pull out that P4 desktop from the closet and dust it for use in the next 1-2 months.

10. gr8bob macrumors regular

Well, I beg to differ.. I'm on my second MBP (3rd nVidia chip if you count the logic board replacement on the first one) which has the 8600M GT chip in it (both the 128MB on the Merom/Santa Rosa and the 256MB on the Penryn/Santa Rosa) and I'm still having unexplained issue with application crashes due to the nVidia driver, NVChannel(GL): graphics timeout errors, and graphic corruption (on the first machine before and after the logic board replacement)..

I think it's time for nVidia to stand up and give out a clear statement before leaving a permanant bad impression on their own name.

or....

they just have crappy drivers all along for the 8x00 series..?

I did do a through system wipe-n-install and the symptoms are still there.. just makes me feel like ripping my hair out since I just got my replacement MBP for just less than a week and it's already exhibiting symptoms that are similar to the initial issue I'm facing with the first MBP.

11. nyzballa12 macrumors member

Hopefully they switch to ATI for the next line

12. hitnrun7 Guest

I've always preferred ATi anyway... but Nvidia cards are\were more powerful for quite a while...

13. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

I've never had any issues with my 8600. I've had it since the first week of March 2008, and I've had the vertical striping issue thrice. All the times, it fixed itself and hasn't been an issue since. I've never had the garbled graphics, nor have I had any shutdowns.

However, at the first case of a problem, you can bet this thing is going straight to Apple. Especially since this news has come out.

14. bloo macrumors newbie

i'm on my 3rd MBP. all of them (including the one i still have) had the vertical line as well as the text *tearing* problem.

after complaining to apple for weeks, he just told me to wait until the next update came out in hopes that it would resolve the graphical issues. after 10.5.3 came out and no luck, he finally told me that apple would give me a new MBP whenever the next revision came out as well as bump me up to the middle 15" model (originally i bought the basic 15" model)

15. bov macrumors 6502

Please, stop making people as pessimistic and paranoid as you are. Thank you.

This also refers to the "So are all mbp owners with the 8600m GT cards screwed?!?" thread of yours.

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Well this is just me so do what you gotta do.

As for me I'm currently selling the mbp on ebay and will wait until the new mbp come in the next couple of months and snag the one with the ATI card in it.

Either way like others mentioned, since the past I've always liked ATI cards better. Just dont know why its always never failed on me, never overheated, and for some reason to me the graphics looked cleaner and better (when comparing the similar specs to the nvidia at times).

I remember when last years mbp and current mbp used nvidia, I originally thought to myself damn.. no ATI.

Also a $3k laptop that's going to eventually fail sometime soon too just doesnt feel right to me.

17. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

The packaging defect is not on a timer. It can happen anytime or hopefully never.

18. kolax macrumors G3

I've had my Santa Rosa MBP for nearly a year. I haven't noticed any performance issues (not that there is any for this card that are related to the problem) but it does get pretty warm, and sometimes my fans will just stay on at 6000RPM making a bloody racket, even though there is no CPU load.

The problem has persisted through reinstalled OS X, resetting SMC and PRAM. Is this the heat issue?

19. new-Mac-owner macrumors regular

Well How do they go bad what are the Signs my Laptop Gets Pretty hot I am going to Look alittle more if someone can Answer that,And if so whats apple going to have to do fix everyones Laptops?:apple:

20. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

proof?

you might be waiting a while, no where have we seen any rumors of a new MBP with an ATI chipset coming...

21. jbaird77 macrumors member

You cant even find a phone number or an email address on nVidia's site so there goes that option.

I guess I can call up Apple but I doubt they will do anything until nVidia announces that its official.

My temps are extremely strange though:

(March 2008 Version MBP) (Apps running since boot up, finder + firefox + minor background apps, none using any significant power GPU related)

CPU A = 55 cel.

GPU Diode = 69 cel.

O.O say what....

so when nVidia announces this, does this mean I get a free upgrade to the new MBP w/ different GPU? lol :p

22. 11800506 macrumors 65816

If it is true, apple will probably start a replacement program. I doubt they would be that irresposible and just let them fail. Now we just have to wait for nvidia to issue a press release telling if the rumors are actually true or not.

23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

just HYPE!

Hmm... Don't you guys read?? Seems so many of you guys are getting hot under the collar for nowt!! The article does not mention anything about APPLE, actually, it says it only affects HP, Dell and Asus. I guess, they just discovered a faulty batch - it happens.

Humans often fail or perish, well before the temperatures that the CPU reaches,
    would you call that a 'manufacturing' flaw or bio-defect?

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Look at the capacitor issue for the power supplies not long ago, probably see a repair extension similar to that.

We didn't see a replacement program, just a repair extension program for those machines affected -- which happens to be quite a few this round.

25. ghostguts macrumors regular

Not necessarily indicating that Apple isn't affected. HP, Dell and Asus are dealing with the problem in varying levels of activeness; thus, acknowledging the problem. Apple -- not so much.

Not trying to totally invalidate your claim, as I'm trying to stay optimistic too, because I'll need to buy a new Macbook Pro soon, but it just seems too risky and problematic at the moment with various individuals and groups denoting problems with their Macbook Pros.

Moreover, the Macbook Pros are using the chipset that is affecting Dell, Asus, HP and other PC laptops. As ominous and powerful as Apple can seem sometimes, they aren't immune to the problems of this chipset.

Here's to hoping that a solution will be found soon, so I, too, can join the MBP user group.