Nvidia GeForce 200m series GPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tomass389, Jun 17, 2009.

1. tomass389 macrumors member

Can we start pooling together info on these GPUs before the threads start popping up all over. I don't know much info myself but am interested and trying to stay up to date on it as I am looking to purchase a 17" within the next 3-4 months but am in no hurry.

Nvidia Intro's New GPU - Tom's Hardware article - June 16th

Specs on the 250m GTS

My best guess for us seeing it is possibly November, but probably Feb 2010.

Feel free to post, correct, and update as needed. But lets try to keep it condensed and brief.

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Those are some nice GPU's for notebooks actually. Even if the lower end (G210M) one found itself into the 13inch MBP and a GT 240m in the other macbook pros with a possible bto option of 250M , that would be awesome but who knows lol. Or even if apple offered standard configurations of the GT230M, GT240M, and maybe even GTS250M in the Higher end macbook pro models. Most likely not, but hey, its nice to dream lol.

EDIT: I would think the mot likely thing to happen, If apple even uses these GPU's in the next update, or by than there may even be different gpu's which is very likely, thats a little off topic but I thought I'd throw it in. But anyway, what I would think would be most likely to happen is the G210M will find itself in the macbook and MBP 13inch, while the GT230M would find itself in the other macbook pros(15inch and 17inch), with a slight possibility of The GT240M making its way into the highest spec'd 15's and 17's. This is of course if apple even uses these GPU's.

Also considering that apple has never really put high end graphics cards into their laptops for various reasons, The GT240M seems like the obvious choice for the 15 and 17 inch pros.

3. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

lol, there seems to be no interest in this thread. Im sure once tallest skill sees this he'll be all over it. He usually has some interesting and valid points on subjects like this. Im actually kinda looking forward to it hahaha...

4. tomass389 thread starter macrumors member

Yea, i just noticed it being mentioned a little more often and I don't enjoy following multiple threads on the same topic. I hope nobody enjoys this actually...

But anyways, I'm hoping the 250m gts will be an option on the 17" as it is GDD5 which will hopefully prove to be a huge step up from the GDDR3 240m. Not that its necessary, but why not have it as an option as technology advances so quickly anyways...

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

The GT240M also uses GDDR5

6. tomass389 thread starter macrumors member

hmm, one of these must be wrong then...

[​IMG]

which one?

[​IMG]

7. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Hmm, well one states that it uses GDDR3 and the other states that it uses GDDR5. So I'm not to sure which it is lol.

8. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

After thinking about it a little bit, I really think that if apple uses these GPU's we would see the G210M in the macbook and 13inch macbook pro, and probably only the GT240M in the other pros. Most likely with no BTO option of a higher spec'd card. I really don't think apple will put the "enthusiast class" cards in their notebooks. The TDP of those cards are pretty high, and apple will want to keep their laptops running somewhat cooler and of course be just as thin, if not thinner than what the current models are. It probably just wont be feasible to put in anything higher than the GT240M.

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

10. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

wow, what a great piece of information to add to this thread:p

11. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

You guys realize that none of these chips will wind up in a MacBook or low-end MacBook Pro right? I think nVidia's marketing may be confusing you guys a little.

The current MacBook/Low-end MBP use the nVidia MCP7A chipset, which is marketed as a Geforce 9400 chipset, but don't get that confused with a discreet GF9400 chip.

None of these chips are chipsets and, as such, aren't even remotely in consideration for inclusion in the notebooks you guys want. This would turn the low-end MacBook Pro back in to a 3-chip solution, which is what Apple was getting away from.

You need to be looking out for whenever nVidia announces their new chipset line, the MCP8 or whatever it might be called. Then you can start speculating about graphics in the low-end stuff.

Also, just glancing at the specs, I don't think anyone should realistically expect anything higher than the GT 230M in the higher-end MBP's.

12. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Makes sense lol. I did not realize that this was the case. Oh well, when NVIDIA releases their new chipset than we can speculate what will make its way into the macbooks.

13. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Is there a possibility that it can use either GDDR5 or GDDR3?

The 9600M GT is 23 W (and the 8600M GT is 22 W). So going by TDP, the GT 240M is the best GPU we'll see in the MacBook Pro. However, the 9650M GT is also 23 W, and we didn't see that. So we may only see the GT 230M.

14. er2429 macrumors member

Yes these chips are being considering in the notebooks we want. The 9400 was intergrated into the die of the MCP7A. Some version, perhaps slightly modified, will be included inside whatever chipset Nividia decides to release for nehalem. Nvidia doesn't totally redesign GPUs when it creates a chipset. Assuming this whole licensing dispute between Nvidia and Intel is resolved, the G210M will be integrated into a chipset containing the normal southbridge functionality.

There is something else that is interesting to note here. One of the biggest issues when nvidia combined the north bridge, south bridge, and GPU into one chip to create the two chip solution was the issue around concentrated power dissipation and heat area. Now, that the north bridge has been integrated into the CPU with nehalem, it would be interesting to see if there will be an even further performance boost for the new IGP/chipset solution, considering nvidia has a little bit more headroom for power and heat.

15. m1stake macrumors 68000

These aren't using the same silicon as the desktop 200 cards, they're a re-brand. Nothing to be excited about.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, its the fact that a few years ago, Gigaflop term wasn't used for consumer laptops.