Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple released an update for owners of NVIDIA (unibody) MacBooks, MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs.
This update improves cursor movement when using the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter with the Mini DisplayPort enabled MacBook Air, MacBook and MacBook Pro.

It also improves playback of HD video running on systems with NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT or GeForce 9600M graphics.
The update should be available in your Mac OS X software update.

Article Link: NVIDIA Graphics Update 2009 Improves Cursor Movement, HD Playback

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Okkkayy......now SystemUIServer is segfault'ing and crashing roughly every 2 minutes, and iStat Menu's doesn't work.....at all.

Anybody do this one successfully?

Nvm, fix'd.

uni

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2006
Belfast, UK
Let's hope it fixes my screen tearing issue with flash content and hd content, something that I have seen all macbook pros exhibit in the local apple store..

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Okkkayy......now SystemUIServer is segfault'ing and crashing roughly every 2 minutes, and iStat Menu's doesn't work.....at all.

Anybody do this one successfully?

Updated fine for me too.

Need to see if HD stuff plays back smoother. Interesting to see if this boosts performance in any games.

lftrghtparadigm

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Hmm, wasn't even aware the new products had such issues.

My iMac with ATI craphics plays HD content just fine, wonder what was up with the NVIDIA chips. Glad I didn't jump on one of these early, sounds fishy to me

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Hurray.

Maybe 1080p content will playback much better on the 9600GT.

I hope so. I have a 1080p HD DVD (from DVD Studio Pro) and it drops frames all over the place on my 9600. I'm looking forward to trying this update once I get home.

Edit: Problem not solved.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Heh-heh, figured it out. Nothing to do with the update, everything to do with the first time I'd rebooted since screwing around with some menu extras. Carry on!

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Does anyone know if this solved the 30 inch monitor image quality problem?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/636416/

I can confirm it does NOTHING for this issue. I updated, rebooted, power cycled the adaptor, and the issues still exist on both a Dell 3007WFP and a 30" Apple Cinema Display. This update does not see to do anything in response to all of the issues surrounding the Dual Link DVI adaptors.

Bummer, I got excited, thought I'd actually be able to turn my monitor off then on and not have garbled screen snow :-(

zorinlynx

macrumors 604
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Installed. No problems noticed yet, but no apparent improvements either.

My Mac Pro has an ATI Radeon X1900XT and also an Nvidia 7300GT in it, the Nvidia card feeding my HDTV via a really long DVI to HDMI cable; I use it to watch movies.

Is the performance improvement only with Quicktime, though? I haven't noticed lower CPU usage or any difference when playing .mkv files with VLC, which is mainly what I do. I know VLC uses some hardware acceleration for colorspace conversion, but I don't know to what extent this could possibly help.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
I can confirm it does NOTHING for this issue. I updated, rebooted, power cycled the adaptor, and the issues still exist on both a Dell 3007WFP and a 30" Apple Cinema Display. This update does not see to do anything in response to all of the issues surrounding the Dual Link DVI adaptors.

Bummer, I got excited, thought I'd actually be able to turn my monitor off then on and not have garbled screen snow :-(

Darn. I guess the jumpy mouse and the distortion issues are not related. Unfortunate.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
sorry arn, the white plastic macbook now also has NVIDIA graphics (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M). Not just the unibody.

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
I have juse installed the update and now my external monitor keeps on flicking. It seems to have trouble finding/locating the signals from the MacBook...

Anyone else with the same problems?

katarchaea

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2008
I installed, and for the first time, my unibody 15" MBP will occasionally recognize my 19" Samsung external LCD display over VGA (and nearly always over DVI) using the 9400M. It's always recognized it using the 9600M GT. Sigh. Maybe the next update - if there is one - will allow it to recognize the display *ALL* the time. I feel for everyone here trying to make the dual-link adapter work...

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Awwww darn I just shut down my MacBook Air!
I'll be doing an update tomorrow and I hope things will be running a bit smoother. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.