Nvidia GT 650M on rMBP actually better than Nvidia GTX 660M!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luigi.lauro, Jun 25, 2012.

1. magbarn macrumors 68000

Having a relative with the Asus g75VW with gtx 660M, I've been able to overclock his gpu like crazy. It's a beast. I was able to overclock the gpu to 1025 MHz and the memory to a whopping 1700mhz. Asus cooling system was able to keep the gpu at 60c running BF3. The asus card is very underclocked stock.

2. FuzzyMcDoodle macrumors newbie

I have the regular higher end MBP. I have 32bit Windows 7 now but I'll be installing 64bit tomorrow.

If you want me to run tests or check clock speeds let me know with what program.

3. Exana macrumors regular

I install Windows 7 on my HDD to do some testing. HWinfo repports strange things. :eek: GPU-Z did not bring better info. I don't have Windows anymore now with my SSD. Mine is not Retina.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both are completely wrong. AIDA64 did not even see a GPU.

4. magbarn macrumors 68000

Install Evga precision X utility in bootcamp. You'll be able to pull the real clocks.

5. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Here is what it displays on a Non-Retina 1GB GPU.

Attached Files:

6. FuzzyMcDoodle macrumors newbie

7. thomaskc macrumors 6502

Chances are apple, just like so many other people now, found the UI to be slow and laggy on the rMBP, and a sneaky way to try and fix some of it would be to just factory overclock the gpu. It seems very likely to me as I am 99% sure the actual gpu is the same in the rMBP and the non-retina.

Basically anyone with non-retina can probably without any problems set the gpu to the same settings as the rMBP have.

Btw is there overclocking tools like Evga for OSX?

----------

Now do the same while running something that uses the GPU.

Those clock speeds looks like Idle clocks to me. windows throttles the gpu based on usage per default.

8. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Everytime I looked at EVGA and it showed the same thing. However GPU-Z captured the clock speeds while running a game.

Attached Files:

9. thomaskc macrumors 6502

So... that claims that the core is lower and the shader clock is higher than the previous stated 900/1250? these numbers are all over the place.

10. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

no that means that evga precision aint working as its supposed to be.

11. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Well this seems like great news! I will gladly accept all of the graphics power I can get while still getting incredible battery life!

12. doh123 macrumors 65816

people keep comparing multiple machines with the same GPU... the thread is about the rMBP, but the last few posts were about the normal MBP.

13. thomaskc macrumors 6502

Err yes? Because that's the interesting part? What else is there to discuss? If apple overclocks 1 rmbp they do them all, then what? Seeing all hardware is the same it's interesting to see if they treated the two series differently

14. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

This is mostly SSD performance rather than CPU or even GPU.

----------

I just wanted to clarify that Thermal Throttling on the Late 2011 MBP with the 6770m and the 2.4 Ghz Sandy Bridge is mainly due to the CPU. This chip can run hot when on Turbo Boost so thats the one that throttles after some time of hard work. Had no problems yet that can be perceivable as GPU throttling.

15. luigi.lauro thread starter macrumors member

How severe is the throttling, did you check the clocks?

I'm puzzled that a little CPU throttling can cause as much as a 20% performance difference in portal. Is portal that cpu-limited at that resolution? Seems strange.

Anyways thanks for sharing :)

16. brian540 macrumors member

my rmbp is showing at 900mhz... was able to overclock to 1025 reached 90C fans kicked on and stable hovering around 80c playing D3

17. luigi.lauro thread starter macrumors member

I'm curious of a couple of things:

1) Did you overclock on Windows, or is there any utility to do it on the OSX side?

2) If they overclock is done on Win side, do the new clocks stay also on OSX side or not?

If you don't know about 2, could you please do a benchmark on OSX side with stock clocks and then overclock and test again?

Thank you, much appreciated!

18. magbarn macrumors 68000

There is no way to over clock in OSX at all at this time. Since the over clocking is done by overriding the windows 7 driver, there's no way the overclock will carry through a reboot.

I find it interesting that the regular 2012 MBP 650M is clocked much lower than the rMBP.

19. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

No experience with the 650 but GPUs do underclock themselves when not under load to save power. See if you can monitor the clocks when playing a game or benchmarking.

20. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I did, look up a few posts. I used GPU-Z to do so.

21. koyoot macrumors 601

koyoot

Retina Macbook Pro GPU Clocks: 900 MHz Core/ 1254 MHz Memory
    Non Retina Macbook Pro GPU Clocks: 810 MHz Core/ 1000 MHz Memory.

End of Story.

Base Retina Macbook Pro Will be way faster in Games than higher end non Retina MBP. For the same price...
    Retina runs cooler, quieter, and has better screen. What more da ya want?

22. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

That's funny since MacWorld found it opposite during their Portal 2 test.

The fans full blast on the Non-Retina Model are quiet. I can barely hear them. Maybe if I were is a completely silent room you would notice them.

The only difference between the Retina and Non-Retina is the SSD drive. But once you put a SSD in the Non-Retina they are identical as far as speed or pretty close.

Attached Files:

23. Tombs macrumors regular

Tombs

Wishful thinking...:rolleyes:

24. doh123 macrumors 65816

driving more pixels on the screen, even if running at a lower res, might be slowing down the rMBP.

25. theBostonian Suspended

Sorry, going off topic here:

You wouldn't, by any chance, have heard the 2011 MBPs fans at full blast?

They can be rather high pitched and distracting, even over the sound of a game or music. The main thing stopping me from bothering to upgrade is the difference in fan noise between the 2011s and 2012 non-retina MBP.

I did run a dev>null test in 8 different Terminal windows on an Ultimate unibody 2012 MBP in the Apple Store and the temperatures didn't get as high when I ran the same test on my early 2011... However, because the store was full of people and playing music I couldn't tell if the fans were audible or not.