Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As promised, Nvidia last night introduced beta macOS drivers for its latest GeForce 10-series graphics cards, enabling macOS support for cards ranging from the GeForce GTX 1050 to the newly announced Nvidia Titan Xp.

macOS drivers for Nvidia's Pascal 10-series graphics cards will be of interest to those who build Hackintosh machines, use external GPUs, and those who own older Mac Pro machines that can be updated with newer GPUs. Apple has not used Nvidia GPUs in its Macs for several years now, favoring AMD instead.

nvidiatitanxp-800x450.jpg

Nvidia first said it would release macOS drivers for its latest line of graphics cards when it announced the launch of the Nvidia Titan Xp, which Nvidia says is the world's most powerful graphics card with 12GB of GDDR5X memory running at 11.4 Gb/s, 3,840 CUDA cores running at 1.6GHz, and 12 TFLOPS of processing power.

Prior to the release of the drivers, Mac users were only able to use previous-generation Maxwell-based 9-series GPUs.

The new macOS Pascal drivers can be downloaded directly from Nvidia.

Article Link: Nvidia Releases macOS Drivers for GeForce 10-Series Graphics Cards

Reactions: ikir and Avieshek

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Now anybody with a $800 budget can build a hackintosh that runs circles around a $6000 mac pro in graphic intensive applications.
You can't really compare a custom-built Hackintosh with consumer-grade components to a workstation/pro-grade computer like the Mac Pro; but I agree the Mac Pro is still way too expensive for 2013 hardware, even after the price drop.
[doublepost=1491947007][/doublepost]
Will it work in my old LC II?
No, you'd need at least an LC III and even then it may not work.

Loyalty4Life

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2006
Is this compatible with my 5k iMac, both on the Mac and Windows/boot camp?

I could not find anything online to confirm. Thanks.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Now anybody with a $800 budget can build a hackintosh that runs circles around a $6000 mac pro in graphic intensive applications.
Your comment made me curious, so I did some quick pricing, and minus extras like finishing off the cooling system and stuff like monitors and whatnot, probably the cheapest you could go and still "run circles" around the $6000 Mac Pro is probably at least $1500. I mean, obviously waaaaay cheaper, and I assume you were just being hyperbolic with the $800 budget. But I spent the time looking, so I thought I'd share.

That said, I loved the tone of last week's press meet with Phil and Craig. "We know the Mac Pro is a mess, we're sorry, we're going to fix it, please don't leave us." :D
[doublepost=1491947869][/doublepost]
Is this compatible with my 5k iMac, both on the Mac and Windows/boot camp?

I could not find anything online to confirm. Thanks.
I know there are hoops to jump through getting eGPUs working with macOS, especially if you're going to be running TB2 with an iMac. But if you're interested this place looks like a pretty good resource for getting started. Windows probably has better support, but I'm less familiar with eGPU efforts on that side of the coin.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I can't wait to get home and update the driver on my Hackintosh.

And for those who say you can't compare a home-made computer with a Mac Pro are right if you are needing fault-tolerant hardware.

But for $1500, you can definitely get a computer that will perform just as well as a $6000 machine.

The main issue would be that the $1500 machine might have components break sooner, but if you don't have a mission critical process then it doesn't really matter.

And since you are using commonly available parts, if it does fail, then it is fairly easy to replace the part.

That being said, I love my cMP that is still going strong strong from 2010. My 2007 is a little long in the tooth, but is still in production.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Your comment made me curious, so I did some quick pricing, and minus extras like finishing off the cooling system and stuff like monitors and whatnot, probably the cheapest you could go and still "run circles" around the $6000 Mac Pro is probably at least $1500. I mean, obviously waaaaay cheaper, and I assume you were just being hyperbolic with the $800 budget. But I spent the time looking, so I thought I'd share.

That said, I loved the tone of last week's press meet with Phil and Craig. "We know the Mac Pro is a mess, we're sorry, we're going to fix it, please don't leave us." :D
I know there are hoops to jump through getting eGPUs working with macOS, especially if you're going to be running TB2 with an iMac. But if you're interested this place looks like a pretty good resource for getting started. Windows probably has better support, but I'm less familiar with eGPU efforts on that side of the coin.
This is not fully fleshed out but Jeff did a quick down and dirty with a pascal eGPU. Interesting little read.
https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/11/hand...ith-an-egpu-using-nvidias-new-pascal-drivers/

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
Wonderful. Time to hackintosh it up! Anybody have a hackintosh setup they use and will use with Nvidia GPU?

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007

Think he maybe meant this:
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 - 800$ GAMING PC BUILD 2017

Maybe not circles, but you won't get much for the rest of the money the Mac Pro costs more.

The RX480 is 70% faster than a single D700 and the 1700 is about 25% faster than the 8 core xeon (according to 3dmark).

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

I think you're right. $1K-$1.5K is probably the sweet spot to getting a Mac Pro competing Hackintosh. Video is long but detailed and informative.

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast

The design of the current Mac Pro is pretty ingenious. But it's kind of like the return of the G4 Cube design in so many ways. Powerful, but filled with too many limitations. In many ways, it could have been the mythical mid-range Mac Mini-tower that Apple would never create. I think there is still potential for the form factor, but to a less power-user market at a much cheaper price, but Apple would never do that to cannibalize iMac sales. :(

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
I think you're right. $1K-$1.5K is probably the sweet spot to getting a Mac Pro competing Hackintosh. Video is long but detailed and informative.

The one issue with that video is that once you make a $1000 PC and pair it with a $1500 monitor, it shows what the value that the iMac really is. Buying a riMac is on par or slightly more expensive, but it is seamlessly integrated.

When I bought my first riMac the only 5K monitors were $2500, so, I saved $500 by buying my 2015 riMac versus building a mackintosh and buying the 5K monitor.

Of course, 5K prices have come down, but at the time, the riMac was the value deal and I think is still apple's best value if the specs work for you.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Think he maybe meant this:
AMD RYZEN 7 1700 - 800$ GAMING PC BUILD 2017

Maybe not circles, but you won't get much for the rest of the money the Mac Pro costs more.

The RX480 is 70% faster than a single D700 and the 1700 is about 25% faster than the 8 core xeon (according to 3dmark).

I wouldn't think a 500W power supply would support Titan level card along with all the other components. The card needs 250W. The geforce.com website recommends systems with 600w.

Anathem

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
I'm confused - given that Apple are committed to AMD and/or last gen graphics cards, which Mac is this news relevant to? I'd buy an Nvidia 10 series mac in a heartbeat if it were available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.