Nvidia Releases macOS Drivers for GeForce 10-Series Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 11, 2017.

1. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

I'm not sure where you're getting on par or slightly more expensive. That comparably specced iMac was $3400. Even pairing the Hackintosh with a $1500 5K monitor, you're still looking at $900 additional cost. That's almost another complete Hackintosh build. Go with a 4K monitor and the savings are even greater. There are trade-offs for each decision. As you stated, the iMac would be less hassle and more seemlessly integrated. What you gain in integration, you give up in flexibility, upgrade-ability, and power (grunt).

Disclosure: I don't like iMacs or any AiO's for that matter. I just don't find any value in the AiO form factor. Others do, and I have no issue with it. That being said, the video is primarily about the savings and performance gains over a Mac Pro. This was a build with cheap parts that gave a nice gain in performance. A few more dollars thrown around and the performance potential could even be higher. With nVidia's drivers release, things can get even more interesting. I've built many PC's, but never a hTosh. Might be time since my desired mac mini will be (rumored) some time coming.

2. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

Do the riMac's still lag like crazy with the R9 M395X? I tried using one a few years back and it would choke just by rearranging windows with only a few dozen tabs and a couple of apps open. Of course that was with the 4GB R9 M290X.

3. sudo1996, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

You can stick one in a pre-2013 Mac Pro, even a 2006 model (lol). I might do it. But maybe the next Mac Pro will have Nvidia cards. And there's the eGPU route, but I don't know much about it.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 11, 2017 ---
    Nah, my mom's riMac seems pretty fluid.

4. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

*And repairs.

My iMac needs a GPU replacement stat, and the only way I can get one is to buy a used iMac and gut it. On the rare occasion that the card for my model is on eBay, it's always a used card that someone else gutted, and they set the limit close to the price of the iMac. The iMac used a AMD Radeon HD 6770M.

Stock card, new, on sale by 3rd party vs used part vs an Apple card, new *ehem* used *ehem*, on eBay. That is a $300 markup on lower spec'd, six year old hardware.

5. theitsage, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017

theitsage Suspended

The new Nvidia web drivers for macOS work with a few glitches. Here's an implementation on a Late 2016 15" Macbook Pro with GTX 1080 Ti eGPU. Short video of Unigine Valley running with the eGPU accelerating the MacBook Pro's internal display.

6. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

The day you can make a legit hackintosh laptop I'll be back in the market

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

What video is that?

8. jamescobalt macrumors regular

jamescobalt

Honestly, I think it'd be a great form factor for a new generation of Mac Minis. It's perfect for that. And only that.

9. KAZphoto macrumors member

KAZphoto

This is exactly what led to my maxed out 5k purchase. I actually messed around with a not so well supported PC and it did work pretty well. But adding all the parts up and needing a new display, the 5k iMac was a no brainer.

10. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Awesome. I know the Mac Pro is a long time away, but I'm excited.

11. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

How does it compare to having an internal GTX 1070? And did you have this working in macOS?

12. FreeAngel, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017

FreeAngel macrumors newbie

FreeAngel

YES!! This great news!! So I can buy this Nvidia card for my 12 Core 3.46GHZ 2010 Mac Pro?? and put off getting a new Mac? All I need is a powerful GPU. The CPU cores I am happy with as well as the expandability
    WHEW!! Thought I would have to give in and get a lousy NON expandable iMac which I have had before and Hate the HEAT they generate and the GPU going bad due to HEAT

HORAY!! HAPPY!!!
    MAC PRO FOREVER!!
    BEST NEWS EVER!! Did not want to buy a new mac. KICK BUTT NVIDIA GPU IS ALL I NEED TO BE THRIFTY AND STILL HAVE A POWERFUL MAC!! Sorry Tim Cook but I'm happy with my old Mac Pro, Steve Jobs Era. This news keeps many Old Mac Pro's in Use like mine!! Keeps the Mac Pro alive. Buy used off Ebay instead of spending thousands for a New Mac Pro. We just need a crack to run the latest MacOS or at the very least the latest Safari browser is all we need to keep an older OS Alive without updates.

LOVE THIS NEWS!!!!

13. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

Tried it on my Hackintosh the one in my signature with the GTX 1080 Ti. Works really well. I had to update macOS and Clover to their latest versions but after that just run the NVIDIA driver installer and it works perfectly.

Some really high performance out of the 1080 Ti in macOS, very noticeable increase over the GTX 970 I had in this machine previously.

14. djphat2000 macrumors regular

Can I now go out and purchase a Founders edition Nvidia card (looking at a 1070 with a single 8 PIN power with a dual 6 PIN to 1 8 PIN adapter), for my 2010 Mac Pro? Will I get a boot screen? Or should I use it as a second card? Meaning, don't get rid of my current ATi 5770 just in case?

Thanks

15. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Probably not: The eGPU would need to connect to some display. You can't connect eGPU to the laptop display?

16. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

The RX 480 and Ryzen CPUs are designed for a very different kind of computing than FirePro and Xeon, though. I wonder if that build (which looks like a totally boss gaming PC, btw) would actually compete in stuff like CAD work rendering. And it is kinda a non-starter for a Hackintosh anyhow, seeing as AMD CPUs aren't supported by macOS (based on the last I heard, that might have changed).

17. sneak3 macrumors 6502a

Excellent! Which aikitio model is that?

And how do you manage the GPU selection since you have 3 gpus for the mac to pick? Is there another piece of software that makes nvidia active and disables both the amd and the integrated?

18. theitsage Suspended

It's done through the use of a headless HDMI adapter. You essentially fool the Mac into thinking you're running an OpenGL app on the external display through the eGPU. Spectacle is the app I'm using to switch the eGPU-accelerated app back onto the internal display. You can read our Mac eGPU setup guide for further details.

19. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

That is a good read. And now I'm over here thinking that a nMB with i series processors and a TB3 port is my new dream machine. Grab an eGPU setup and a mid-level GPU (GTX 1060 has my attention), and I would be set.

20. lamunkya macrumors newbie

I suppose it depends on the exact application, but you can occasionally get a Dell T20 with a e3-1225v3 (3.2 Ghz quadcore Xeon) on sale for $250 which leaves $550 for a GTX 1070, an SSD and more RAM. This setup would run macOS without any workarounds.
    Some very GPU dependant applications — admittedly mostly games — will run faster on that machine than a maxed out Mac Pro.

Of course I do agree that $1200-1500 is a more reasonable budget for a real Mac Pro competitor.

21. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

And I think it comes down to my interpretation of "run circles around." I was specing a system that would legitimately perform intense computing tasks at least a third faster than the $6000 Mac Pro, meaning an 8 core Xeon and a beastly GPU. Which put me right around $1500 minus finishing touches, which would probably run a few hundred more.

For $800 you could match the performance easily for most stuff, probably beat it in areas like gaming, as you said. But that's not what running circles is to me, and that's probably just a perspective thing.

22. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping to do the same. As the TDP for the 1070's are 150W, I'm more comfortable running off the two 6pins on the motherboard.

Please someone else do correct me if I'm wrong!

23. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

No, you won't get a boot screen.

My experience, and someone may contradict me, is that mixing AMD and Nvidia in the same machine causes real problems.

It might have been my particular setup, but when I booted from a HD 5770 with a GTX 970 in the other slot, it had strange problems, and I finally pulled the 970 out.

If you need the 1070 it should work fine by itself. I would just keep the 5770 around for those few times when you need a boot screen, like if you need to disable SIP for something, or to troubleshoot a boot issue.

24. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

I have never noticed any of that. I always get the top-of-the-line card available with my iMacs and they seem very smooth to me. Of course everyone's use cases are different.

25. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

It should. It works great on my SE/30.