Nvidia Releases macOS Drivers for GeForce 10-Series Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 11, 2017.

1. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

1. You shouldn't need the top of the line card for it to be useable.
    2. What cards have you used? Cause the old 5k iMacs clearly had some performance issues.

2. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

One has the R9 M295X and one has the R9 M395X and neither has been anything but smooth for me.

3. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

That either apple fixed it or you don't really push your system. I predict you are more likely to agree with the former since most people take the later as an insult (which it isn't) and are rash to claim their use cases are harder than average.

4. gerbenhoogendam macrumors newbie

You do, 4 of them actually, called Tunderbolt: https://www.apple.com/thunderbolt/

5. huperniketes macrumors regular

huperniketes

Darwin supported AMD (and Intel) cpus before Apple officially released their Intel machines. Mac OS X for AMD Installer images were available since Tiger. I ran a hackintosh on Snow Leopard.

So, yeah, AMD cpu's aren't supported officially by Apple now. But that doesn't stop people from running it on them anyway.

6. derohan macrumors member

derohan

has anyone tested this with the 10 series cards yet? as in inside a Mac Pro or in some whacky eGPU setup? got a couple thunderbolt 1 ports here...

7. acecombs macrumors newbie

As I understand it, there are a few very late "cheesegrater" Macs that can use the newer cards with this driver and Sierra. I assume the usual suspects will flash the 1080ti if you'd like a boot screen. This is great news--now if Apple is serious about their new professional commitment maybe they'll kick the "trashcan" to the curb and build something that can be upgraded.

8. Marx55 macrumors 68000

9. skyline r34 macrumors 6502

skyline r34

Titan X Pascal working on the MacOs

Attached Files:

10. derohan macrumors member

derohan

finally time to buy a 5.1 & configure it just like yours sir... :D kudos! Long live old HW :apple::apple::apple:

11. wyz macrumors newbie

This is wrong on so many levels... If you use a decent CPU and a pro level GPU, I can't see how an $800 budget can work, unless for you "graphic intensive" means making GIFs and youtube 480p cat videos. Put the latest i7 and an Nvidia 1080 and you are already around $1500 and still have to get the rest of the stuff...

12. PowerMike G5 macrumors 6502

Nice. Did you just get a boot screen from using an off-the-shelf PC Card? No flashing required?

If so, that's a nice surprise!

13. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Right. A decent mobo alone is 250-300 minimum if you want professional feature set
    --- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2017 ---
    The CPU is slow in modern apps and most of the cores are unused. The I/O is bottlenecked. And most likely the 5,1 will be dropped from the next macOS. They dropped the 4,1 with Sierra even though it's basically identical.

14. R3k macrumors 6502a

How is the stability on Hackintoshes these days? I never went with one years back because i couldn't afford it to flip out on me during a project...would love to hear if things have improved.

15. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Mostly Hackintosh is just a boot loader and any extra drivers needed, if needed. You can use Clover to boot up a clone of your Mac's drive on a PC. There shouldn't be an instability issue if macOS detects the hardware correctly.

16. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

Yes, US$1500 is what my build cost and it runs circles around a lot of other computers, including the Mac Pro.

17. derohan macrumors member

derohan

Back on to the hackintosh road then... worth waiting for DDR5 & newer CPU's though? got plenty of patience!

18. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Hmmm not really. Those type of generational improvements only add a couple percent increases which you won't see in real apps. Modern ports, GPU and a good SSD are the main performance enhancers at the moment.

19. derohan macrumors member

derohan

w
    what's inside that beast?
    Wasn't this the deal with intel's since 4th gen i7's, don't know if I should keep waiting?
    So 9th or 10th gen might finally give us that jump if the next gen is only small percentages... f*ck me!
    Still rocking 1st gen i7's (desktop & laptop SKU's) here with no end in sight at this rate :p

20. Ben888 macrumors member

It is relevant to users of the older tower style Mac Pros, since they have a PCI Express slot to use these cards. It would be a great upgrade for my 3,1 Mac Pro.

21. BaltimoreMediaBlog, Jan 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018

BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Why would you support Apple discontinuing Mac Pros better in some ways than what they currently sell?

And why would the cores not be used. Isn't newer software making more use of added cores rather than less? I understand the I/O bottleneck, but Moore's Law is pretty much debunked in 2018. An SSD alone removes a lot of bottleneck.

Btw, I'm running High Sierra on a 4,1 Mac Pro with no issues and an AMD 7950 with no issues.
    Apple, of course took away WIFI support, but you can get better WIFI externally anyway then they terrible internal WIFI.

22. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

I’m not ‘supporting’ the discontinuation of support for the old Mac Pros. But fast single core and I/O performance are still more important for most work than having 8–12 slow cores. Those Westmere CPUs are about half the performance per core than a Skylake and there isn’t native chipset support for NVME or Thunderbolt 3.

But if you want to use them with High Sierra if you want to have an affordable classic machine. There are still people who who buy 80s-90s Macs for fun and nostalgia even if they are limited to OS 8.1

23. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

AHAHAHAHAHA! My 'nostalgia" Mac Pro still beats a Mac Mini that Apple is currently selling!

I'm actually testing High Sierra betas!

Not everyone has a need for Thunderbolt 3, especially when you have plenty of PCIe slots & drive bays. :D

Someone forgot to tell you that the Steve Jobs reality distortion field is dead with him.

24. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Nothing makes sense in what you said. Zero.

Those drive bays are limited to SATA2.

The PCIE slots are limited to 2.0 and have no Thunderbolt upgrades.

Most new SSD and GPU upgrades have bugs or compatibility problems.

The Mac mini beats it when using lesser cores. It has support for eGPU.

25. BaltimoreMediaBlog, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2018

BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Compatibility problems with SSDs and GPUs?

And btw, most SSDs don't even tap out SATA2 speeds.

Cheese grater Mac Pros are steadily keeping values on eBay since Apple offers nothing like it still.

I've seen benchmarks. Mac minis do not beat XEON processors nor do they have Radeon or Nvidia graphics capabilities.

Next you'll tell me Intel graphics beats Radeon and GTX too? :D