Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fudzilla has heard from industry sources close to NVIDIA that a recent report claiming that Apple will be dropping NVIDIA-based designs for future Macs is false and that the companies' relationship is "just fine."
Apple is still buying Nvidia notebook chips and chipsets and nothing has changed in the last few weeks. Nvidia and Jensen [NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang] himself have a lot of respect for fuss maker Apple, and therefore this relationship has top priority for Nvidia people.
According to the earlier report, Apple's dissatisfaction with manufacturing defects in NVIDIA's chipsets for a number of MacBook Pros had led Apple to drop NVIDIA for future Macs.

The future of NVIDIA's chipsets in Macs remains in question, however, as Intel and NVIDIA have filed lawsuits against each other over licensing of Intel's Nehalem architecture, which is expected to make its way into Apple's mobile line later this year.

Article Link: NVIDIA Sources Refute Claim of Split With Apple

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Hmm. We'll see.

If they sort out their huge defects then they'll be fine. Their chips are good, and the 9400M outlines how good their integrated solutions can be. They just need to tighten down their manufacturing.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Lots of other manufacturers are customers of multiple companies competing after each other. I don't see why anybody would have to "split" from such a relationship. Perhaps Apple would buy more ATI graphics sets right now, but everything is temporary, and Apple could exclusively buy from Nvidia in the future.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is for Apple to have a bad relationship with Nvidia because they're decided to go with ATI, or back to Intel for their integrated graphics. Again, every tight relationship is temporary in technology.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
"We will never make a phone." -Apple
"We're still selling to Apple." -nVidia

Eh, there's no stock in this.

Lol...

In a side note. I've been quite happy with the adoption of the 9400M, I hope the nVidia deal still sticks thru, I would like to stay away as far as possible (not even wanting to touch it with a 10 ft pole) from Intel graphics.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
well, dropping Nvidia would severely limit apple's graphics chips options especially in laptops.

That said, reliability is a huge issue and if chips were coming in defective, Nvidia ought to pay for all the issues it creates.

I hope Nvidia works to repair any problems and their relationship with Apple. maybe apple will understand. they aren't perfect either. ie the current heating and coloration issues on the white iphone 3gs

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Maybe this whole thing was a subtle PR stunt designed to improve Apple's position in negotiations (as now you probably have the Account Executives in charge of Apple's relationship calling frantically and making concessions to keep Apple happy).

I think dropping nVidia would be a big mistake, especially if it means that all computers with the integrated chips all of a sudden take a big hit in performance (making future revisions effectively downgrades).

On the other hand, it would be wise for Apple to have a plan in place in case nVidia loses that lawsuit and is unable to provide chipsets, etc. to anyone. In this case Apple would be stupid not to have an alternative plan lined up that wouldn't force them to delay future upgrades by more than necessary (so we don't have another mac mini situation where all the Apple computers go 18+ months without an update because they had to start planning from scratch).

The original source of the rumors might have been given information about such an alternative plan that involves dropping nVidia altogether, but it does not mean that this plan is Apple's priority or it will ever be implemented (unless that lawsuit forces it).

cg0def

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
If you really believe that Apple will stop using nvidia chips over some alleged manufacturing problem then I have a piece of land you might be interested in. Apple does not like working with AMD ( probably has to do with the fact that AMD generally does not negotiate prices ) and Apple really has no other choice besides Nvidia. Intel is so far back in the GPU games that I don't think even Intel employees believe that they will ever catch up. And it would be wise to remember that Apple did make a huge investment in GPU processing. If nothing else Apple needs nvidia.
One more thing, a single chip solution like the 9400m saves Apple a considerable chunk of cash and they need a really good reason to change it. A manufacturing problem with a previous gen hardware that did get fixed is note a good reason at all.

Oh and next time, if you are going to make up something at least make it half believable!

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
me too, i was glad macs finally had decent graphics chips

Why not have Intel chipset with an ATI graphics card? you'll still get great performance from a GPU vendor whose products don't die after 6 months (then turn around to blame the OEM's by claiming that they didn't follow the specification requirements for heat dissipation).

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
What'd they say, then? Just vague denials of its existence?

Failure to read on your part is an epidemic. He stated that there was no evidence as to the explicit statement denying the working on a telephone. You seem to ignore what the original poster said in favour of going off on a tangent.

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
Two weeks ago eveyone was like "EPIC FAIL....13" MBP only has a 9400M"

Now, the 9400M is not so bad

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
Two weeks ago eveyone was like "EPIC FAIL....13" MBP only has a 9400M"

Now, the 9400M is not so bad

Well, its like the G5 issue:

"EPIC Fail, even though I bought a G5 knowing it will be replaced with an Intel and I wasn't willing to wait for my software to appear on Intel I decided to upgrade to a G5 I am going to complain because there is no Snow Leopard PowerPC".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.