NY Times is Officially AT&T Propaganda Central

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SomeDudeAsking, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

Spoiled by the All-in-One Gadget
    By SAM GROBART
    Published: March 26, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/27/weekinreview/27grobart.html?_r=1&hpw

So there you have it, the NY Times is officially a propaganda piece for AT&T and spreading lies about how we pay the least when in fact we pay the most. Now I don't feel so bad about bypassing the NY Times paywall......though the content is disappointing.

2. iVeBeenDrinkin', Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011

iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Adding each item up, individually is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. The reason why the iPhone, and other smart phones have all these features is to entice consumers to buy. I could see his point if there wasn't profit being made on each smart phone sold, but technology has allowed for all of these features to fit nicely in a compact, beautiful design, such as the iPhone 4, while still allowing the manufacturers to make a profit. at&t is trying to buy t-mobile for 39 billion dollars, and Apple is the second most valuable business in the world. So, let's charge consumers more, and make more profit?

Another rebut to this article, is that all of the things he listed individually, when bought individually, would probably be used for at least 5-10 years before being replaced. :rolleyes: Smart phones are typically replaced, ever 1-3 yrs.

3. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

iPods start at 50$

They have email readers? lol.

4. Jellow macrumors newbie

I'm glad I am not alone in thinking that the NYT article was straight stenography for AT$T. The author must have never seen this: An International Comparison of Cell Phone Plans and Prices. Then again, hacks don't Google.

I guess we will have to get used to it. AT$T will be barraging the media with propaganda until they get their merger okayed.

Like you, I am glad the NYT is putting up a paywall. I won't breach their paywall, it will give me incentive to avoid their drivel altogether.

5. bwrairen macrumors 6502

They seemed to have forgotten the 2 most important words in the article:

PAID ADVERTISEMENT

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I always think the 'more minutes' argument is hysterical when referencing smartphones. Is there anyone here that actually comes close to their minute allotment in a month? The data is where the ripoff is these days.

7. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yeah, I really went WTF when I read it.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Honestly, I don't get it. If you hate your phone so much, get another one. If you hate AT&T so much, switch to Verizon. If you don't like the content of a news source, just steal from them. Jesus man, you've repeatedly told us all how smart you are, why are you being so slow about this?

9. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hello people who like to pay high cell phone bills....

10. EddyP macrumors 6502

Jesus. At least post the entire article. It has a different flavor than the spin you have put on things.

11. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

There is nothing different from reading the whole thing. It is a complete shill piece for AT&T.

12. EddyP macrumors 6502

Ah. That's a nice comparison.

Do you know if that article adjusts for the fact different countries have different amount of subsidization in equipment costs? Or is it service only and excludes equipment?

13. EddyP macrumors 6502

To you, maybe. To others, maybe not.

14. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

The "others" would be the ones spreading the propaganda.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

+1

Its not like if you don't have an iPhone, you are going to buy everything on that list. The iPhone just adds connivence. It wasn't built to replace 500 devices.

The person who wrote this article is stupid. They might as well write portable gaming device too. Or they could have just added iPod Touch to get rid of more than most of those added devices.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Don't feed into it guys.
    Why am I not surprised it's him posting another thread like this. Just like all his previous ones, to stir drama and nothing but nonsense posts.

17. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

Ahhhhh......, yes, one of the most popular national newspapers that is syndicated by countless other sites published an AT&T propaganda piece as an original article saying we aren't paying enough in cell phone bills is in your opinion me making a "nothing but nonsense post". Get real.

18. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You're trying pretty hard aren't you?

19. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Actually the propoganda comes from people touting Europe's cheap mobile rates.

Mobile users in Europe actually pay 400% more per minute of voice usage than people in the US pay. The average user, though, in Europe, uses 20% as many minutes in a month as people in the US use.

So the result is yes, Europeans have smaller mobile bills, but they are using a fraction of the minutes. The average minutes in the US is over 800 and in Europe is around 130-140 or so. As for costs, the average American pays .04 a minute, while in Europe they pay .16 cents a minute.

So all this time I have been seeing people talk about how awesome Europe is for mobile devices, the reality is people use phones significantly less because they are more expensive to use, and the providers have less issues because customers require much less infrastructure and take in 400% more revenue.

It is pretty clear that the European mobile market would fall apart if the people in Europe started using as many minutes per month as Americans did and demanded to pay 75% less for it.

20. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

You fail with the AT&T shilling, look at some real data:

[​IMG]

http://newamerica.net/publications/policy/an_international_comparison_of_cell_phone_plans_and_prices

OMMFG, Sweden users pay 4 cents/minute while Americans pay 18 cents/minute on average! And another OMMFG, users in India only pay 1 cent/minute!!! It's a worldwide conspiracy to make AT&T look bad!!!! OMMFG!!!! We must go and pay more money to our AT&T overlords!!!!

21. X2468 macrumors regular

Actually I often wonder why it took so long. The New York Times have been Apples mouth piece and competition basher for years.

The white haired old Walt Mossberg is bosom buddies with Steve Jobs & always gets the new Apple products first. Then he writes a glowing review, and Apple sells them faster than they can be made.

It's no big deal, there's corruption like this everywhere. You'll see.

22. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

So the US is in the middle tier. Big deal. You trolling dude?

23. SomeDudeAsking thread starter macrumors 65816

The US is the 3rd highest in postpaid (ie: contracted) rates on that chart, "dude". Not something to be proud of.

24. EddyP macrumors 6502

Again, is this data adjusted for the fact that equipment in the US is heavily subsidized by the carriers? (like that evil ATT!)

25. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

You would have a point if not for you repeating the same thing in the most melodramatic way possible

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.