"o" symbol next to Verizon carrier logo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icyfire, Feb 8, 2011.

1. icyfire macrumors 6502

Every now and then, the 3G sign on my iPhone gets replaced by a "o". Does anyone have any idea what that is? The network still seems to work fast even with the "o" displayed so I'm assuming it's not equivalent to the 1x symbol that is used on other Verizon phones.

2. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I suspect that's what it means. That symbol indicates GPRS data on the AT&T iPhone.

3. Che Castro macrumors 603

This has happened to me

When is on edge or 3G

4. icyfire thread starter macrumors 6502

checked another thread on this topic and it turns out that it means 1xRTT on the Verizon iPhone (and I guess GPRS on GSM iPhones).

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I'm actually surprised they used the same symbols, you'd think they'd switch over to something Verizon users are familiar with

also, just out of curiosity, what is the verizon equivalent of EDGE (if there is one) and how is it represented on the verizon iPhone?

EDIT: just saw that list posted above, and there's no EDGE equivalent for Verizon. I know verizon's 3G isn't as fast as ATTs, but they still have to have had something between "1G" and "3G" (for lack of a better name, not sure what verizons 1G was called). Has this just been entirely replaced by 3G on verizons network?

6. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I think it was regular evdo, the one verizon is using now I think is revA Evdo as 3G.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Surely the all powerful Verizon network wouldn't be providing GPRS speed now, could they? ;)

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Yep. 1xRRT < EVDO < EVDO rev. A

Original EVDO doesn't exist any more unless you have a fairly old phone that doesn't have an EVDO rev. A chipset.

9. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

The CDMA equivalent of EDGE is CDMA 1x, not sure if Verizon has it, but China Telecom got pretty good coverage of it here in China, and it was advertised as 2.5G before 3G became popular.

The "o" signal icon OP saw was probably CDMA 1x or regular CDMA, either way it means no 3G in your area.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Do you have a case on your phone?

I think its the antennagate issue. I saw that on Youtube (on Verizon iPhone)