o2 allowance app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by davidjtaylor07, Jan 30, 2009.

1. davidjtaylor07 macrumors member

I bought this app, mobile allowance from the app store for 59p. it is supposed to pull allowance (remaining minutes/texts etc) info from the o2 website. however after entering my username/password i get an error message. what do I do?
    d

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Find the contact details from the app store of the app perhaps?

3. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

GIven the time of day you were doing it (I presume, because it's O2, you're in the UK?) you may well have tried to connect during the service maintenance window. Does it work this morning any better?

EDIT: I bought this this afternoon and my copy is working fine... Check your user name and password are correct - esp. the password, which is covered by blobs...?

4. sallythemac Guest

Hmmm... Although some people may find this app useful, you can get your allowance info by just sending a blank text to 21202 for free. Just as quick and alot cheaper.

5. davidjtaylor07 thread starter macrumors member

yeah i did think that, but have tried it over several days. have also logged in to the proper o2 website to test to see if the login/account is working and it does. just a thought are you usng the same login info on the app as you do to login o2s account info website?
    d

6. Prenvo macrumors regular

Prenvo

Hi Dave,

I'm the developer for the "Mobile allowance" application :)

Apologies that you've had issues contacting me and for this reason I've created a webpage dedicated to the app which should help others in the same situation.

I've emailed you about your specific issue; I'll look into it as soon as possible.

Michael

7. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

how do you do that on an iPhone? it wont let you send a text without at least one character in it.

[.edit] Nevermind, a space works.

8. davidjtaylor07 thread starter macrumors member

yes it wont, you dont send a blank text, just type anything in ie 1 character or even a space then send will light up, thats it! btw i think the "mobile allowance" app (on the app store) looks to be a neater solution though! take a look!
    d

9. davidjtaylor07 thread starter macrumors member

hi micheal, hope you got my email. i dont know if your aware that there is another thread discussing your app (to which i have also contributed) its http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=13893 on there is someone else who appears to be having the same login problems i was having, gets the same message also.

hope this helps

dave

10. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Neater, maybe, but it costs more than nothing (which is what o2's service costs) and takes up another slot on my crowded home screen. Oh well.

11. davidjtaylor07 thread starter macrumors member

each to there own!
    btw the developer has contacted me and has fixed my login problem (in the next update, released in about a weeks time) :)
    d

12. kolax macrumors G3

Prenvo - I bought this app and having troubles. O2 tech issues, but been saying so for the past 3 hours. Yet I can access it on O2's website.

Also, how are we meant to change any settings for it? I.e. re-enter our username and password.

13. Matt.H macrumors member

Prenvo - I'm also having the same trouble with the App [o2 tech issues], its a great idea, also, will you ever add the capability to choose between O2 accounts, as i have 2 accounts under my the same username?

14. Prenvo macrumors regular

Prenvo

Sorry that you're having issues with the app - I'm currently on my iPhone; this is just a message to let you know that I am following this thread and I'll be back soon to look into both of your issues :)

So far only two major bugs have been found and both are being fixed for version 1.1; hopefully your issues are being caused by one of these.

It seems that the most common cause of that error is when users login using their email address rather than their O2 username (which works fine on the O2 site itself). Version 1.1 will work with your email address and will be available as a free App Store update in about a week.

Rest assured I'll keep fixing until the app works for everybody who's bought it :)

15. kolax macrumors G3

Okay that's good you are updating it to work with email addresses.

However, how can I edit the app to put in my username rather than email? I'd rather not wait a week to use something I paid for ;)

16. Prenvo macrumors regular

Prenvo

Unfortunately once you choose to login using your email address, O2 won't let you login using your username anymore.

You could try contacting O2 customer services if you really don't want to wait and ask them to revert back to using your username when logging in. If they can change it back: remove the app from your iPhone home screen and then download it again in the iPhone App Store - don't worry; you won't be charged twice (it'll tell you that you've already bought it and whether you want to install it again for free) - this will force the app to ask for your login details again.

I'll email you both about your specific issues shortly.

17. Matt.H macrumors member

Glad we have your support, and i hope this App develops into something really useful!

18. KSUWizard macrumors member

Is there any "Allowance" app for ATT? Sounds like it might be useful.

19. AnDi86 macrumors 6502

Wow, i didnt even know this existed! Time to give o2 another 59p of my money i think! It sounds like a great app!

20. kolax macrumors G3

O2 didn't write the app..

21. Prenvo macrumors regular

Prenvo

I don't know if there is (I haven't browsed the US App Store) but if AT&T have an online account area which let's you view your remaining allowance then, in theory, there's nothing stopping me adapting my app to work with AT&T and release it in the US App Store.

Obviously I don't have access to an iPhone AT&T account so I would need a US user's co-operation if I did release a US version :)

I'll be fixing the UK app issues and releasing the 1.1 update before I start another app though ;)

P.S. AnDi86, like Kilamite said, O2 didn't create this app (and it's in no way affiliated with Telefonica O2). Please bear in mind that the app won't work (until I release the 1.1 update) if you use your email address as your password.

22. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

OK, I'm an O2 customer, but I confess I don't get it. I can get this info from the O2 website or by SMS, neither costs anything, neither runs the risk of giving my login details away to a 3rd party, why would I pay the 59pence for this app? Or even take it if it were free? What am I missing here?

23. Prenvo macrumors regular

Prenvo

I guess you probably wouldn't see a need for this if you didn't check your allowance too often or aren't concerned about exceeding it, but many people (including myself) check their allowances a *lot* (more than once a day in some cases) and texting 21202 or trying to login to the O2 website each time - especially when on the move with just your iPhone - can be a bit long-winded: this app grabs your allowance and displays the amounts (along with little usage bars) in a few seconds :)

As somebody else said: each to their own :p

24. davidjtaylor07 thread starter macrumors member

i suppose its a similar situation to the o2 method of viewing an mms, it could be done via a special area of o2's website and typing in a password, this wasnt very user friendly and couldnt be really done easily on the iphone itself! perhaps if o2 had put ease of use and user-friendlyness a a priorty as apple has with the iphone, we wouldn't be needing 3rd party developed apps to fill in the gaps.

if your happy with the way you do things, its not for you! personally i think 59p isnt much for an app that eases this process!

d

25. Prenvo macrumors regular

Prenvo

Just a quick post to let you know that all reported issues as of today have now been fixed in the new version (1.1) and I've also added a couple of new features: all will work flawlessly if you use your email address rather than your O2 online username (the current version gives an "It looks like O2 are having a couple of technical issues" message), you'll now be asked to choose a contract if you have more than one assigned to your online account and the app now supports additional minutes/texts bolt-ons into account (right now the app only shows your core minutes/texts allowance).

I've literally just submitted version 1.1 to Apple for approval (within the last hour); it'll be available as a free update in the App Store within a week (Apple manually approve all app updates).

Many thanks to those who emailed me; you should find all of your feedback has been taken into account in the update :)

P.S. I'll continue to monitor this thread incase anybody does happen to have issues with new version.