Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Well I was extremely happy with my new iPhone will today.

Having moved from Orange after 13 years, I'm not so happy now.

I've just had a 'blocked' phone call from O2 customer services trying to sell me insurance for my iPhone.

Conversation went ;

Hi Just checking everything is ok with your new iPhone.

Me: Yes, it's great thanks.

Would you like to take out protection for it.

Me: No thanks, it's covered on my home insurance.

Well you'll pay more for it in store.

Me: That's fine, it's covered.

Well it's not rocket science is it

Me: I'm sorry I don't want your insurance protection.

Well **** off, I've got other people to phone you know

Me: I beg you're pardon, do you think it's appropriate to speak to customers like this?

Yes I do.

Me: Can I ask your name please?

Yes you can, and while you're at it you can take your face for a ****.

I've just lodged a complaint at O2...

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I don't understand the censored bit of the last thing he said (being an American, I guess... I've never heard that before), but I hope he gets fired.

It does seem like an awkward transition, though...

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
That's pretty bad, even for a mobile phone company!

(meanwhile I'm trying to work out what goes under the asterisks in:
"you can take your face for a ****" I'm British, but none of the usual words makes any sort of sense. Mind you maybe it just didn't make sense anyway...)

jacksam101

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2006
Crewe (UK)
I had a blocked call too - from some company claiming to do "all the iPhone insurances"

Didn't give him time for a conversation - just a quick "No Thanks" half way through his first sentence.....nuff said :)

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
O2/CPW just swore at me down the phone!!
You seem confused as to whether it was O2 or Carphone Warehouse…
Why the confusion? Or… is it just a tall story?
;)

(meanwhile I'm trying to work out what goes under the asterisks in:
"you can take your face for a ****" I'm British, but none of the usual words makes any sort of sense. Mind you maybe it just didn't make sense anyway...)

I can also think of a few things to put there — but nothing that's make any grammatical sense. :D :eek:

chrisparr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
Well I was extremely happy with my new iPhone will today.

Having moved from Orange after 13 years, I'm not so happy now.

I've just had a 'blocked' phone call from O2 customer services trying to sell me insurance for my iPhone.

Conversation went ;

Hi Just checking everything is ok with your new iPhone.

Me: Yes, it's great thanks.

Would you like to take out protection for it.

Me: No thanks, it's covered on my home insurance.

Well you'll pay more for it in store.

Me: That's fine, it's covered.

Well it's not rocket science is it

Me: I'm sorry I don't want your insurance protection.

Well **** off, I've got other people to phone you know

Me: I beg you're pardon, do you think it's appropriate to speak to customers like this?

Yes I do.

Me: Can I ask your name please?

Yes you can, and while you're at it you can take your face for a ****.

I've just lodged a complaint at O2...

I can believe that.

I takes a set type of person to enjoy a call centre job. I'm guessing this guy had enough of his job and was trying to get sacked. If you resign you don't get job seekers allowance.

Not that the above should make you feel any better of course, but you should get some compensation for this. Don't let it drop.

C

Blocked call?

If it was blocked how did you take it? Is blocked an iPhone term for something else?

C

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
There have been reports of companies passing themselves off as CPW / O2 and selling what amounts to worthless insurance for massive amounts of money. I'm 99% certain that's what happened here: There's no way an employee of O2 or CPW would make a call like that

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
Mobile Phone companies (including orange) have third parties that ring customers up and introduce themselves as from the network and try to sell you insurance.
I reckon they work from home, so the calls wouldn't be recorded.

markfc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Sorry didn't get a chance to reply, I left work for the day.

The reason I say O2/CPW is because the O2 Customer Services I spoke to said it could have been someone from CPW as that's where I ordered the iPhone from.

He has launched an investigation and will let me know the out come.

Also I haven't received any other calls on this phone yet as I haven't given the number to anyone. I'm waiting for the request code to transfer my number from Orange. I've set the phone to withhold my number on dialing as I didn't want anyone to replace my stored number on their phone with this temporary one.

The only people who know this number is CPW and O2. Granted they probably sell this information on to 3rd parties to sell you insurance but the guy on the phone said he was from O2.

ooh lastly it was "Go take you face for a s.h.i.t" :(

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
Blocked call?

If it was blocked how did you take it? Is blocked an iPhone term for something else?

C
The iPhone displays "Blocked" when the caller rings with a withheld number (e.g. from a call centre)
I just got a call from a call centre (no abusive language though!)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 76

markfc

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Prestatyn, Wales, UK
Frankly, I don't believe a single word of this.

Ha Ha, thanks Man. I'm 32 this year got my 2nd child on the way and you think I made this up....come on.

Mobile Phone companies (including orange) have third parties that ring customers up and introduce themselves as from the network and try to sell you insurance.
I reckon they work from home, so the calls wouldn't be recorded.

It was definitely from a call centre as I could hear other people in the background.

Not that I want to be an arse but if I don't get a satisfactory reply from O2 I will lodge a complaint with OFCOM and Police if need be as this is breach of a the Telecommunications Act.

127 Improper use of public electronic communications network

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a) sends by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing character; or

(b) causes any such message or matter to be so sent.

(2) A person is guilty of an offence if, for the purpose of causing annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety to another, he—

(a) sends by means of a public electronic communications network, a message that he knows to be false,

(b) causes such a message to be sent; or

(c) persistently makes use of a public electronic communications network.

(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable, on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or to both.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
If it was really from O2, they'd most likely have asked you to confirm some of your details for security purposes (normally date of birth and password) - If they didn't do this it's unlikely that it was actually from O2.
Every time I've had a call from customer services on O2 they've asked this information and I normally do a quid pro quo with them (i.e. I'll tell you the 1st, 3rd and fifth letters of my password if you first tell me the 2nd, fourth and sixth) or ask for a number to call back to ensure they're not phishing me...

carfac

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
If it was really from O2, they'd most likely have asked you to confirm some of your details for security purposes (normally date of birth and password) - If they didn't do this it's unlikely that it was actually from O2.
Every time I've had a call from customer services on O2 they've asked this information and I normally do a quid pro quo with them (i.e. I'll tell you the 1st, 3rd and fifth letters of my password if you first tell me the 2nd, fourth and sixth) or ask for a number to call back to ensure they're not phishing me...

SMARTEST post of the day.

If they call me (blocked or not), they have to prove who they are first, or I hang up. E-mail address or home address in full. Many times they tell me they do not have that, and I say fine, call back when you do- click.

UKLawTalkingGuy

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2006
London
This was almost certainly the work of one of the companies who have nothing to do with Apple/o2/CPW but instead, cold call and try and sell insurance.

The obvious way of telling is that they fudge who they are at the beginning of the call 'Hello, we are working with o2/cpw/apple' but some just lie and pretend to be of the former.

o2 / CPW won't have sold your number. Many of these companies use (i) guesswork (ii) ring a range of numbers (all original iphones were assigned numbers from within the same range, 07752 xxyyzz I think) (iii) rely on unscrupulous employees from o2 etc to give them people's details.

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
Just wanted to add that I had this exact same call (less the obscenities and disrespect), twice consecutively, immediately after switching my new iPhone on for the first time. This certainly suggests it has something to do with the networks as it was as if they knew I had just activated the phone.

The first caller (who I could swear identified himself as from CPW) was quite persistent but eventually gave up. The second politely apologised as soon as I said I'd already declined, and said she'd ensure I wasn't phoned again.

Since then whenever I get a 'blocked' call I reject it. :D

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
This is probably the infamous carphone warehouse insurance scam, but its not CPW making the calls. It has been going on for years now, heres a link to a story back in early 2005 - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/20/cpw_phone_insurance/

The buy a phone from CPW as CPW give their own numbers (as they run their own accounts, unlike other resellers like phones4u) and then call several hundred numbers either side of that number knowing full well that every one of those numbers will have purchased a phone from CPW in the last few days. My mate had one last year (thats how I found out about the scam) and the guy was giving it some down the phone and said that he wanted my mates address as he was going to go round and smash his head in (this is because my mate said he wouldn't buy insurance from the guy!), my mate said go ahead and gave his work address. Sadly the guy never turned up - my mates a 6'9, 22 stone copper and obviously his work address has a few other coppers hanging about!

Back to the plot. There isn't an insurance policy at the end of this, they take your details and your cash and probably try and steal all your money too. Why this hasn't all been stopped I will never know, can't be that hard to track them down can it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.