Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Getting rid of stock? :D

June 1st is dangerously close to WWDC...

[edit] actually, 45 days is a long time. Maybe Apple wants to crush the 10M worldwide units in 2008 figure.

Comment

McBanjo

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2007
Do we have to sign-up before we buy these things?

What's the chances of me shipping me one over?

Comment

jSunbeam

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
Do we have to sign-up before we buy these things?

What's the chances of me shipping me one over?

Unless things have changed, you can just walk into a store and buy one without signing anything. The registration process is on iTunes, you see...

Even though I had an iPhone and returned it because it kinda sucked, this is tempting...

Comment

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
This incessant need for higher capacity iPhones is so amusing. I must be the only person with a 4GB iPhone who doesn't at all mind the limited capacity. In fact, I have plenty of room free. For me, it is a very nice web browser/e-mail client I can use anywhere... and that's about it. (Oh, I guess it's a phone too).

Comment

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Just waiting for someone to post about being not happy about this...

Edit: Too late, already someone is in on that lol

Comment

I Am Designer™

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
London, UK
better cheaper tariffs would have been better news.

I couldn't agree more.

I know so many people who want an iPhone, but are put off as soon as they see the tariffs which hark back to tariffs that were available in the late 90's!

Unlimited data is all well and good - but people in the UK love to call and text, we text a lot! The cheaper device might entice a few new people - but if they beefed up their tariffs they'd attract a whole lot more...

Comment

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
I know a few people in the mobile industry, here in the UK, and a couple mentioned this to me last night - according to them, it's to clear stock (as others above have said) before new models are launched.
In their opinion, a good time to get one cheap and just unlock it.

I couldn't agree more.

I know so many people who want an iPhone, but are put off as soon as they see the tariffs which hark back to tariffs that were available in the late 90's!

Unlimited data is all well and good - but people in the UK love to call and text, we text a lot! The cheaper device might entice a few new people - but if they beefed up their tariffs they'd attract a whole lot more...

Perhaps, but O2 has already improved the tariff (e.g. the base tariff used to be 200 minutes/200 texts, and now it's 600/500) and you can always unlock it.

Comment

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I couldn't agree more.

True, but this is exactly why I chose to buy an iPhone, unlocked it and signed up for O2's Simplicity Tariff with the Unlimited data bolt-on. For me, it works out far better than an 'official' iPhone tariff and it costs me £7.50/mth LESS.

Comment

Donnacha

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2006
This will make sales fly

I've noticed a surge of casual interest since the BBC made most of their shows available to the iPhone and, in particular, since the hackers came up with a way to save and store those shows.

For most commuters, seeing someone watch a Hollywood blockbuster while on public transport is interesting, but seeing them catch up on Eastenders or Doctor Who makes people seriously consider buying one.

This discount will push a lot of people over the edge and give the iPhone the momentum it has been lacking in the UK. The £35 tariff isn't bad either, when you look at what you get.

Comment

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
This incessant need for higher capacity iPhones is so amusing. I must be the only person with a 4GB iPhone who doesn't at all mind the limited capacity. In fact, I have plenty of room free. For me, it is a very nice web browser/e-mail client I can use anywhere... and that's about it. (Oh, I guess it's a phone too).

Well that's just it. For many (most?) people, the iPhone is also an MP3 player and movie player. 8GB isn't much for that.

Comment

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
Gah, I misread that "Discontinuing". Oh well, just a few more months or approximately 7 Tuesdays till June.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.