O2 Edge/wifi usage on iphone appears to have NO 200mb limit.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Manj27, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Manj27 macrumors member

As pointed out in another thread - the FAQ section of iPhone page in O2 website has now been updated. Something interesting i note: the EDGE/wiFi usage appears unlimited - i.e. no 200mb limit:
    -------------

What is the fair usage policy for the unlimited data and Wi-Fi?

Your O2 tariff for iPhone allows you unlimited use of O2 UK’s Edge / GPRS networks and The Cloud’s UK Wireless LAN network, for personal internet use, email and Visual Voicemail (VVM) on your iPhone only. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes.

You may not use your SIM Card in any other device, or use your SIM Card or iPhone to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable P2P or file sharing or use them in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.

If O2 reasonably suspect you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.

2. sneeks macrumors 6502a

I read through that earlier and could not decide if it was good or bad. Basically they are now free to impose whichever limit they choose and we have no way of knowing what they term 'unlimited' to be.

3. zed2 macrumors 6502a

you beat me to posting this...

Interesting I wonder if it does have this 200mb limit and they have not yet mentioned it. In reality as long as you're not streaming etc.. simple pages are quite small and with on-the-fly page compression they should be even smaller. maybe they will be running a compressing cache at the edge.

more likely is that they will define the upper limit when they have have data to figure out what people are using.

4. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

maybe the complaints that were filed to the ASA
    and offcom worked. :)

5. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

When I read the change that was my first thought too.

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

You never know!

Generally, this is positive news. However, I don't like the statement in the last paragraph:

O2 reserves the right to impose further charges

I don't think that there has been any suggestion of that before.

7. ripkord macrumors 6502

yeah but thats pretty standard, ie you dont pay your bill in time they can charge you.

Whens the last time you actually read a phone contract, dont worry :)

8. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

on the day of the release for the people who are yet to buy their iphones make sure you read the fair use policy on the terms and conditions. no doubt there will be one in place.

9. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I beg to differ. This right to impose additional charges is specifically in relation to breaches of the fair usage policy.

I'm not actually worried about it but it's worth flagging it up. :)

10. ascender macrumors 68000

This is pretty much as we all expected it to be and I'm sure the few complaints to the ASA and the like had nothing to do with it. They have removed the 200Mb thing which was verbally mentioned when queried, but the thing about FUPs is that they very rarely mention actual download limits and instead leave it open to interpretation and allow them to change the rules.

11. dombookpro macrumors member

This Fair Use Policy statement from o2 does indeed seem to repeal the previous 200mb policy. I suspect that o2 may have reconsidered whether 200mb can really be seen to be "unlimited" - Both colloquially and legally. Especially considering the amount of data that just one YouTube movie would entail. The wording of the new fair use policy is perfectly reasonable. What they want to avoid is using the sim to tether, and have people downloading large amounts of data - video/audio streaming - Which is fair enough. It was a storm in a teacup

12. sananda macrumors 68020

the previous fair use policy wasn't just verbally mentioned. it was put in writing by the press department very clearly stating it was 200MB. i rather think the complaints did have an effect.

13. ascender macrumors 68000

Each to their own, but I'm just skeptical that O2 would have changed things based on the handful of complaints from websites. Like I said, the terms of the FUP as stated on the O2 website are exactly as we all expected them to be. The 200Mb isn't mentioned, but that was always irrelevant where FUPs are concerned.

Never mind though, all that bitching about how unfair their FUP was passed a couple of weeks. Its worth pointing out though that a FUP is still a FUP regardless of actual limits, but we'll soon see what happens when people start using the phones.

14. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I think they only reason that they changed it, is bicause they open there eyes and saw what a stupid thing it was.

15. afd macrumors 6502a

off topic but...

don't like the bit about not putting the sim in other devices, but I assume they mean like laptop cards or other smartphone for internet access. I was planning on putting the SIM in my old phone and sending one text out to all my contacts with my new number. Would o2 be able to detect I did this, and would they care?

16. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

They can tell, but I doubt they'll care about that. It'll be down (like you've said) to them not wanted to completely abuse the 'unlimited' data by sticking it other devices.

You'll be fine.

-Leemo

17. afd macrumors 6502a

will let you all know if o2 suspend my service next friday :)

18. sneeks macrumors 6502a

Sitting at home tonight I noticed a mms was arriving on my N73 and was surprised to see a 'E' symbol below the signal bar. Looks like O2 have switched Edge on in my area today.

19. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

So to clarify this if I may :p I am planning on getting a Nokia 6300 as a phone to use on drunken nights out:D, do you think i will be ok to use the iphone sim occasionally in it?

20. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Yeah I think you'll be absolutely fine.

-Leemo

21. afd macrumors 6502a

i think i'll keep my SE K800i with a PAYG sim for those kind of nights. Better camera too.:)

22. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

Cheers for letting me know.

23. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I really hope an iPhone tariff SIM will work in a non-iPhone. I'd like to have two phones for different circumstance.

24. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

How much do you think I will get one of those for, I am sending my old SE W900i into www.envirofone.com/, they have offered me £56.98 in cash, or £65.53 in argos vouchers (I think it is probably more than I will get on ebay?), I have seen that I can get a Nokia 6300 on O2 for £79.99 at argos, so I will only have to add £15

25. herodian macrumors member

am i the only one thinking 02 can only 'dictate' fair use over EDGE and not wifi? surely that is down to the ISP providing the connection?

i suppose the closest they can get is tracking your 'The Cloud' usage...

(you know, i just read it properly.... d'oh)