O2 Edge/wifi usage on iphone appears to have NO 200mb limit.

Manj27

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
London
As pointed out in another thread - the FAQ section of iPhone page in O2 website has now been updated. Something interesting i note: the EDGE/wiFi usage appears unlimited - i.e. no 200mb limit:
-------------

What is the fair usage policy for the unlimited data and Wi-Fi?

Your O2 tariff for iPhone allows you unlimited use of O2 UK’s Edge / GPRS networks and The Cloud’s UK Wireless LAN network, for personal internet use, email and Visual Voicemail (VVM) on your iPhone only. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes.

You may not use your SIM Card in any other device, or use your SIM Card or iPhone to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable P2P or file sharing or use them in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers.

If O2 reasonably suspect you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.

sneeks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
I read through that earlier and could not decide if it was good or bad. Basically they are now free to impose whichever limit they choose and we have no way of knowing what they term 'unlimited' to be.

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
you beat me to posting this...

Interesting I wonder if it does have this 200mb limit and they have not yet mentioned it. In reality as long as you're not streaming etc.. simple pages are quite small and with on-the-fly page compression they should be even smaller. maybe they will be running a compressing cache at the edge.

more likely is that they will define the upper limit when they have have data to figure out what people are using.

ripkord

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
yeah but thats pretty standard, ie you dont pay your bill in time they can charge you.

Whens the last time you actually read a phone contract, dont worry :)

sweetice2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
on the day of the release for the people who are yet to buy their iphones make sure you read the fair use policy on the terms and conditions. no doubt there will be one in place.

ascender

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2005
This is pretty much as we all expected it to be and I'm sure the few complaints to the ASA and the like had nothing to do with it. They have removed the 200Mb thing which was verbally mentioned when queried, but the thing about FUPs is that they very rarely mention actual download limits and instead leave it open to interpretation and allow them to change the rules.

dombookpro

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
This Fair Use Policy statement from o2 does indeed seem to repeal the previous 200mb policy. I suspect that o2 may have reconsidered whether 200mb can really be seen to be "unlimited" - Both colloquially and legally. Especially considering the amount of data that just one YouTube movie would entail. The wording of the new fair use policy is perfectly reasonable. What they want to avoid is using the sim to tether, and have people downloading large amounts of data - video/audio streaming - Which is fair enough. It was a storm in a teacup

sananda

macrumors 68020
May 24, 2007
This is pretty much as we all expected it to be and I'm sure the few complaints to the ASA and the like had nothing to do with it. They have removed the 200Mb thing which was verbally mentioned when queried, but the thing about FUPs is that they very rarely mention actual download limits and instead leave it open to interpretation and allow them to change the rules.
the previous fair use policy wasn't just verbally mentioned. it was put in writing by the press department very clearly stating it was 200MB. i rather think the complaints did have an effect.

ascender

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2005
the previous fair use policy wasn't just verbally mentioned. it was put in writing by the press department very clearly stating it was 200MB. i rather think the complaints did have an effect.
Each to their own, but I'm just skeptical that O2 would have changed things based on the handful of complaints from websites. Like I said, the terms of the FUP as stated on the O2 website are exactly as we all expected them to be. The 200Mb isn't mentioned, but that was always irrelevant where FUPs are concerned.

Never mind though, all that bitching about how unfair their FUP was passed a couple of weeks. Its worth pointing out though that a FUP is still a FUP regardless of actual limits, but we'll soon see what happens when people start using the phones.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
off topic but...

don't like the bit about not putting the sim in other devices, but I assume they mean like laptop cards or other smartphone for internet access. I was planning on putting the SIM in my old phone and sending one text out to all my contacts with my new number. Would o2 be able to detect I did this, and would they care?

Leemo

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
off topic but...

don't like the bit about not putting the sim in other devices, but I assume they mean like laptop cards or other smartphone for internet access. I was planning on putting the SIM in my old phone and sending one text out to all my contacts with my new number. Would o2 be able to detect I did this, and would they care?

They can tell, but I doubt they'll care about that. It'll be down (like you've said) to them not wanted to completely abuse the 'unlimited' data by sticking it other devices.

You'll be fine.

-Leemo

sneeks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
Sitting at home tonight I noticed a mms was arriving on my N73 and was surprised to see a 'E' symbol below the signal bar. Looks like O2 have switched Edge on in my area today.

shrewsburywolf

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
They can tell, but I doubt they'll care about that. It'll be down (like you've said) to them not wanted to completely abuse the 'unlimited' data by sticking it other devices.

You'll be fine.

-Leemo
So to clarify this if I may :p I am planning on getting a Nokia 6300 as a phone to use on drunken nights out:D, do you think i will be ok to use the iphone sim occasionally in it?

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
So to clarify this if I may :p I am planning on getting a Nokia 6300 as a phone to use on drunken nights out:D, do you think i will be ok to use the iphone sim occasionally in it?
i think i'll keep my SE K800i with a PAYG sim for those kind of nights. Better camera too.:)

shrewsburywolf

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
i think i'll keep my SE K800i with a PAYG sim for those kind of nights. Better camera too.:)
How much do you think I will get one of those for, I am sending my old SE W900i into www.envirofone.com/, they have offered me £56.98 in cash, or £65.53 in argos vouchers (I think it is probably more than I will get on ebay?), I have seen that I can get a Nokia 6300 on O2 for £79.99 at argos, so I will only have to add £15

herodian

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2007
sitting down with warm legs
am i the only one thinking 02 can only 'dictate' fair use over EDGE and not wifi? surely that is down to the ISP providing the connection?

i suppose the closest they can get is tracking your 'The Cloud' usage...

(you know, i just read it properly.... d'oh)