O2 Existing Customers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicolasdec, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

So, I got an upgrade (N95) from o2 2 month ago.... My question is will O2 let me buy an iphone and just switch plans? I have read on the Internet that they will allow this, but i have also heard that this is not true. any one have any information???

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Because im not the account holder.

4. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

5. mari0 macrumors member

I would love to know this...im 6 months into a existing contract and if i could just buy the iPhone and put my old 02 simcard into it you reckon it would work?

6. LCaller macrumors regular

OK my Mrs called last night on this exact subject as she has a phone that is 6 months old and she is in the middle of an 18 month contract.

She was told there will be no upgrades and would need to take out a new contract . She asked if she could switch plans and was told that "they didn't know" as they had only been told about new contracts.

It's a wait and see for now. They've got almost 6 weeks to work this out.

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I asked a woman in my local shop yesterday and was told no, that it had to wait til a contract upgrade time.

I phoned O2 customer services later that afternoon and asked if that was really the case since it seemed a little bizarre if I was willing to buy my own phone. I got told that I should be able to upgrade to the iPhone tariffs and pick up a phone and the 18 month would start running from then - but there would be no discounts available on the iPhone (which to be honest, I didn't think there would be anyhow).

8. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I think o2 will let current customers to just switch to the iphone plan. I think the only reason the person you called said that you cant switch is because they still haven't been briefed about the iphone they are just following the rule book for current phones. I don't see why o2 wouldn't want you to get an iphone if you are a existing customers. you would have to renew your contract for an extra 18 months, and your also paying for the phone so o2 isn't loosing money there. Also the information on there web site is very cloudy about existing customers.

9. ynnoj macrumors member

ynnoj

The phone price isn't subsidised when taking out a contract, so I don't see why not.

10. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Dose any body know when the staff at o2 will know more about the iphone?

11. ynnoj macrumors member

ynnoj

I wish we could get some confirmation on this.

If I can't transfer my existing contract to an iPhone tariff, then I'll buy an iPod touch and stick with my N95.

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Don't expect an answer to this until after the iPhone becomes available for sale. I plan on upgrading a week beforehand so as to get a free phone, I'm sure it won't be a problem and if it is I'll probably just return the (non i)phone.

13. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I think after o2 staff have been briefed about the iphone we will know more.

14. gavd macrumors 6502a

I can't see why they shouldn't let people upgrade if they sign up to another 18 months. Whether they actually will or not though is another matter I guess!

15. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

16. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

has anyone with an unlocked US iphone in the UK managed to get an O2 SIMplicity sim working?

17. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

You can't cancel upgrades.

-Leemo

18. sparkyms macrumors 65816

19. Nicolasdec thread starter macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

20. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Why would anyone want to switch to the iPhone tariffs? I mean. £35pcm for 200 mins and 200 texts. Thats obsurd.

I'm with O2 on a 12 month contract with a K800i which is now 16 months old so I am due an upgrade. I pay £20 pcm for 1000 mins and 530 texts every month with rollover. Now. If could keep my exsiting tariff and just buy an iPhone that would be a different matter. But there is also the issue of no MMS:(

21. gavd macrumors 6502a

Don't forget the data you get included in the £35.

22. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Appreciate that but I'm more likely to use my mins and texts than constantly surf the web.

23. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

I'm in the exact same situation... well nearly... I can upgrade from 31st October. I pay £20 pcm for 500 text, 500min with rollover... which has been rolling over, as this month I have 2000min 800texts. I would LOVE to keep my existing tariff too and just buy the iPhone. I'm not worried about the MMS - I use e-mail for sending most (if not all) photo.

Why can't 02 just offer an extra Data Plan for existing 02 customers? If I understand correctly that's what AT&T done in the US (according to the activate your iphone video on Apples site).

24. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

Then clearly an iPhone isn't right for you anyway.

-Leemo

25. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Didn't O2 mention something in the conference that they will be rolling out the data plans to all customers. Not sure how that will work yet but I guess its something to look out for.

Regarding MMS? If you want to send a pic to someone who doesn't use email on their phone but you would like them to see the pic right away. What do you do?:confused: