O2 GPRS/EDGE Internet gateway flakey? (17/18 Feb)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by memesmith, Feb 18, 2008.

1. memesmith macrumors regular

Is it just me? Or has the O2 server been flakey these last couple of days? On numerous occassions, Googlemaps hasn't been working, and Safari has come up "cannot connect to server" for up to half an hour at a time. Any other UK users had the same trouble?

2. Manj27 macrumors member

^ Yep, i've noticed that too (living in london) - several times in the day, it randomly pops up saying cannot connect to server.

3. memesmith thread starter macrumors regular

Glad its not just me. It's happen as far afield as Guildford, Oxford and (now) Birmingham. So its not local links. I tried to find done sort of "network status" link on the O2 site. But the navigation is as useless as ever.

4. Craigy Boy macrumors member

Glad it's not just me either. I've had it quite a few times over the last few days too.

5. saeybia macrumors newbie

I have had it also, I called O2 and they said there was no known issues with EDGE etc in any part of london, I thought it was my phone was getting ready for a trip to the apple store, Im so happy its not just me too

6. memesmith thread starter macrumors regular

It's not just EDGE. I've had the same issue with EDGE and with five bars of GPRS.

7. sananda macrumors 68020

yes, i've been having some problems connecting. but then again that's not unusual.

8. rammy macrumors member

And yet another... I'm glad it's not just me :) had the same issues with Safari, Weather and Mail in Guildford/Surrey with "full bars" and an "E" icon. I've noticed it more over the last week than ever before.

I'm running 1.1.3 FYI (and looking forward to 1.1.4/2.0 :cool: !!!)

9. afd macrumors 6502a

same thing with me near glasgow on friday, 2 hours without internet, but could still call and text.
    Have also not noticed much in the way of upgrading GPRS to EDGE.

10. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

same thing here. Its happened twice today for around half an hour each time.

11. sneeks macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en-US; rv:1.8.1.12) Gecko/20080201 Firefox/2.0.0.12)

Similar issues for me throughout today in Glasgow, could not connect to the gmail IMAP servers for long periods. A friend had the same problem in Edinburgh at the same time.

12. Manj27 macrumors member

The only way i've managed to temporarily fix the problem, is restart the iphone by turning off then on again, and then, like magic, the internet works again. Strange...wonder whether its firmware related (have 1.1.3 running)

13. armett macrumors newbie

armett

I've noticed... Restarting the iPhone temporarily sorts it.

14. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Also had the same issues over Friday/Saturday, and found that when it was happening I was unable to connect to Cloud wifi hotspots (it asked for my number again and then said there was a problem and to ring customer services).

Phazer

15. Foggy macrumors 6502a

My gprs net connection is incredibly flakey and I am having massive problems checking email unless I am on my wireless network.

16. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

I just upgraded to the 16gb iphone and then started getting this problem. I thought I had a faulty phone. I've never been more glad of other people having problems with their phone too!

17. gjosho macrumors newbie

Yes me too!

Experienced same prob on GPRS here in Newcastle, also had probs connecting to The Cloud WiFi at one hotspot in county Durham. :eek:

Seems to be behaving better this evening (19/02/08)??

18. RevolutionOne macrumors member

RevolutionOne

I noticed last night for the first time that there were no icon to indicate a connection to either gprs or edge, I opened safari and got the same message

19. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I had problems around 6pm last night too.

I've had full reception bar + blue box and Edge logo all the times I've been having problems, and the wifi spot was serving me pages saying there was a problem, so obviously sufficient range there.

Phazer

20. lewisozz macrumors member

lewisozz

Prombleo

i had problems around 4pm jan 19th.I think its fixed now.

21. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

22. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

my edge has been going on and off all morning. It'll be fine for 10 mins and then I'll try and get back on and it won't connect. Going to airplane mode for a few minutes solves it. Not sure if this is the same problem as before or something wrong with the phone????

23. MisterEd macrumors 6502

I'm getting full signal + edge logo, but about 50% of the time it will not work (safari says "could not connect to gateway")
    Starting to get a bit annoyed with it now :mad:

Ed

24. tiggery2k3 macrumors member

tiggery2k3

o2 iphone

ive basically been in touch with o2 support three times. i got told the first time that the problem was with the network itself and was down. they also told me this would be resolved by saturday 23rd 8pm i rang up again and they told me there was no problem with the network there and then and told me to go to settings and reset the iphone network settings. this seemed to work for a couple of hours then deteriorated after that. i rang again today... same problem told me to reset the hole phone through the settings.... they could not understand that the icon was there telling me i had a connection but couldnt connect... is this what everyone else has?
    then they told me that if the problem keeps happening my iphone might be the problem....

25. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

exact same problem. Edge symbol always there but yesterday was a joke. Every time I wentbon to the net it didn't work. Had to either turn the phone on off and on or into airplane mode.