O2 Pay & Go - Anyone on this tariff?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kolax, Nov 30, 2008.

1. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I'm quite interested in taking up PAYG as opposed to pay monthly because of the better deal O2 offer. Unlimited data usage (to an extent, but same as Pay Monthly), and unlimited amount of texts for £30 a month top up.

I am a big texter - so 500 a month on the Pay Monthly tariff isn't enough.

What are people's opinion on PAYG with the iPhone - and for £30 a month with unlimited texts, this translates to a much better deal than Pay Monthly.

I don't mind having to pay £399 for the iPhone so it is strictly the tariffs I'm concerned about.

2. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

I'm on the Text Anytime with my iPhone 2G which gives unlimited texts for a £30 top up. Note they have to be used in 31 days, any remaining texts after this time get erased and then your credit will be used to send texts.

£10 top up for 300 texts to use in a month is just about fine for me. £15 gets you 500.

It's a good tariff, plus you get 12 months free cellular data and wifi for your 350 beans, so all in all good value.

3. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

im with pay & go :)

i live in the uk.

i think i only get 500mins for £10
    no free texts. on my old sim i had 300 free texts for £10
    which i think has been transferred over to my new sim i got with ma iphone. not sure :S

4. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

i live there too - UK kicks ass! :D

yeah your old SIM was on Text Anytime, which gives the unlimited texts for £30 top up. You can request this tariff for your iPhone if you have it on PAYG, and they will also transfer your previous number over too if you want.

5. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

What you mean any remaining texts after this time? If it is unlimited texts per month, surely after 31 days you'll be onto the next month of "unlimited" texts?

6. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

yep what i think they were saying was, if you dont top up £30 again after the 31 days you will be charged for every text you send. Just keep topping up the £30 every month and you get unlimited texts.

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

Ah, that explains it. The explanation above was confusing!

Think I'm going to go for it - not sure what I'll do when the year of free data usage is up.

8. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Sorry if the explanation was confusing. It made sense to me but then again I've been on the tariff for a year or so. It's good and includes 1MB of free browsing too (again for the 31 days) - good enough for checking your email once in that period as a little treat ;)

9. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

I thought it was unlimited data usage for a year? (i.e. 230MB's/month)

Or are you talking about the 1MB/month because your one year data usage has expired?

10. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

What they mean is, that when you top up the £30 a month you get 1mb of free browsing when your NOT on the iphone PAYG tarriff, and dont worry about after the first year, cos what they said they doing is that if you still want to carry on with the Unlimited browsing and Data after your 12 months of free browsing, you just need to make sure you have £10 credit or more on your iPhone, because it cost £10 a month for unlimited browsing and data, after the first year. So whereas you top up £30 a month every month to get the unlimited texts, you wont need to do anything,
    They will basically take £10 out of that £30 a month for you to keep getting the unlimited data and browsing.
    So it wont really effect you as such, cos you put in £30 a month anyway.

But dont think of that until after 12 months, just enjoy your iPhone :D

11. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

Ahh awesome, thanks for clearing that up! I had a wee read of the small print on O2's page for the iPhone, but your explanation clears it all up.

Cheers!

Apart from having to pay the full amount for the iPhone, why would anyone get a contract for it (from O2)? The PAYG tariff is extremely cheap and very very flexible - can switch between the unlimited texts or a large amount of minutes every 30 days.

Pretty good deal I think. Unlimited texts and over 300 minutes (going by 25p for the first minute, my maths for this is poor!) and the unlimited data usage for the first year.

Compare that with £35/month offer - 600 minutes and 500 texts.

12. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

I am coming to the end of my contract with O2 and am not sure I want to extend to another 18 months as am happy with my 3G 16gb iphone.

What does anyone recommend is the best pay as you go tarrif to adopt?...I currently pay £35 for unlimited text/data and 750 mins calls.

I make very few calls and maybe 100 textxs a month but would still want the unlimited data allowance.

Suggestions anyone?

13. iSlave macrumors 6502

Personally, I think the PAYG option is a very good deal. Considering your getting an excellent smartphone and ipod touch, £342.54 (new VAT!!) isn't so bad.

:apple:

14. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

well i got a PAYG 3G white iPhone and i only top up £10 a month and 300 sms and then u get your credit to make calls, suits me fine.

15. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

yeah but what data allowance do you get with £10 if any?

16. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

17. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

your data allowance is free for the first 12 months then after that its £10 a month which they take out of your credit, so i will just top up £15 a month then and i get 500 free sms instead and free data, hardly ever ring anyone so im cool with that.

18. leez macrumors regular

leez

Call them, speak with retention department and I'm pretty sure, you can get at least £10 off every month and maybe some other extras, just for staying with O2.

19. draperm25 macrumors regular

draperm25

i dont think the retention people budge on the iPhone tariffs, you have to pay that amount i think?

20. leez macrumors regular

leez

It's worth to try anyway. If not, switch to any other tariff, get a new phone, sell it, negotiate the new contract, keep you iPhone 3G and you're sorted :). One minus though - you'll probably loose the visual voicemail without the iPhone tariff.

21. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

This was bought on Ebay, so isnt an official O2 PAYG iPhone...I'm just approaching the end of my 18m contract with O2...

So what simplicity tariff if any gives unlimited data?...I did try calling O2 but they wouldn't budge from £35pm.

22. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Well my iPhone 2G has gone in for repair. Should I manage to get an 8GB 3G one back (mine was an 8GB 2G), if I put an iPhone PAYG SIM into it, do I automatically get unltd. internet for the year?

Note I wouldn't be buying the phone on PAYG, just the SIM for £10 if I got a 3G one as my stock PAYG SIM won't work in the 3G iPhone.

23. d.f macrumors regular

anyone tried the PAYG sim with 1st Gen US iphone

not looking to jailbreak or any unnofficial nonsence, but would save me 300 notes to not have to buy a new handset - i already have the 1st gen you see.

wondered if a total reset / wipe clean, would allow me to set it up as PAYG. obviosuly i know that i won't get 3G.

thanks for any information.

24. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

No need for resetting. Just go to 02 shop, ask for an iPhone payg sim and pop it in your iPhone 2G. Simply hook it up to iTunes after that and you my friend are the proud owner of an unhacked iPhone on payg :)

Any troubles, holla back :)

25. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

Found out that you don't get Visual Voicemail with PAYG, and that checking your voicemail is 15p! I don't get many voicemails anyway (probably less than one a month) so not that bothered.

Think I'm ready to dive in and buy it as a wee Christmas present to myself!