O2 quickly upgrading to EDGE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MarkW19, Nov 29, 2007.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

Today is the first day that I've had EDGE access at home on my UK iPhone since I got it on 9th November. GPRS has been down on and off at home for the last couple of days, so I guess that's why. I use Wi-Fi at home of course, but it's still nice to see.

I've also noticed another 2 areas this week (in West Yorkshire) that have been recently upgraded to EDGE.

Good job, O2. It seems you're making progress...

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I agree, it seems o2 are really doing here bit to try and roll out EDGE as fast as they can, although I am extremely impressed at their GPRS speeds on their network too, its not tiresome or a chore to browse on this device.

3. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised how much better GPRS access is on a competent device like the iPhone, vs my old Pocket PCs.

Although, it does seem to strongly depend on cell signal strength, as you'd expect I guess. ie. 2/5 bars is a bit of a chore as it seems to take ages to open a webpage, and keeps stopping/starting. But, if you've got a good sustained 4-5/5 bars, it's more than useable!

4. shellbryson macrumors 6502

shellbryson

Very hit and miss edge access here in Edinburgh. Basically, I can get it half way down Leith Walk (where really you don't want to be seen using an iPhone if you don't want to get mugged). It's terrible. I live in a capital city, and there is almost no Edge access at all that I can find. Even worse... practically no free WIFI either.

Still, I find GPRS okay for checking my email, and my fave bar and my gym have free WIFI. I only wish there was free WIFI near my office, because I can't really connect my iPhone over the office network (I'd get shot).

I really hope it gets better.

I do love my iPhone tho! :)

5. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

It does seem hit and miss. Driving along, you see the "E" drop in and out every couple of minutes.

I was in Leeds city centre the other day (LS1), and barely saw EDGE at all. I went out of town (LS11), and it had it constantly. It can only get better though!

6. 210 macrumors regular

Edge

Yes, the signal is quite strong at the White Rose Centre, Leeds. A bit strange why there of all places in Leeds

7. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

yeh, I agree I have to say that I have been very happy with O2, they are doing there bit very well, I started to see edge in a lot more places.

8. skeen macrumors 6502

They are doing better, but like others have reported, bit hit and miss. Hope they keep up the rollout - would love to have EDGE everywhere!

9. tonywob, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  10. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly the same here - it appeared for the first time earlier, and has been on and off all day.

11. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

I have noticed an increase in the frequency that I am picking up edge and in the quality of the reception over the last week. Good to see the updates are finally being rolled out.

12. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I am finding that it is a bit hit and miss even in my nearest big city, Manchester.

What I don't quite understand though is how you can be stationary in one location and find that it comes and goes. What is the reason for that?

13. tonywob, Nov 29, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  14. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

The same reason that you can be in the same place, and your signal strength goes up and down, I guess. Because it's just radio waves travelling through the air, so if you're in a grey area (in the middle of a GPRS/EDGE "border"), then I guess it's a bit erratic. Maybe?

15. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

You're right. I am tired after a very long day and it was a stupid question really!

16. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hehe...I just re-read my post and it may have come over as facetious. I didn't write it in that way, so I hope you didn't read it as such :)

17. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Not at all. :)

18. MacMonkee macrumors regular

MacMonkee

Still GPRS at my house :(

which is annoying because at the opposite end of my road you can get EDGE!

19. skeen macrumors 6502

Trade houses. :)

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This is all good to hear. Chances are I'll be getting an iPhone just after xmas (incase someone buys me one :D ). I live inbetween Lancashire and Yorkshire, I see 2 giant masts outside my window and phone signals have always been good here. I should be flying on EDGE :D

21. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

I get the train between Cardiff and London a lot and there's great EDGE in Newport and Reading. Of course, there's free Cloud at Reading too.

22. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

I am from the US, so sorry if this is a really stupid question...

I always thought that other countries were WAY ahead of us in cellular technology (3g, etc). How come there is limited access to Edge over there and you are just getting it?

I've drove from Pittsburgh to Orlando and never once lost Edge service, so it is pretty much everywhere over here in the states.

Again, sorry if this is really stupid, I'm just curious.

23. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

EDGE was sort of skipped by the providers in the rush to provide 3G coverage

24. dammitjanet@gma macrumors member

Gateshead Metro Centre is Edge'd up nicely, but my home in hartlepool is completely lacking in 3G and Edge. O2 haven't put up the mast because some tosser thought it didn't look very nice.

25. Daeve macrumors member

Yeah - Edge is an older technology we practically didn't bother with here - we went from GPRS to 3G leaving out EDGE (Enhanced GPRS) - O2 here has had to go back and put the tech in place pretty much solely for the iphone, their 3G is far more widespread than EDGE and has been for a while.