Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sibruk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
UK+US
Proof of ID is done via credit/debit card authorisation now. This is the same in-store for O2 and CPW. They take a nominal amount, like £1, and by doing that can check the address of the card holder matches what they have on record. They refund the £1 straight away (but it usually takes a few days to be credited).

AndyMulhearn

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
Like £160 for a new phone... somethings bewilder me.

Yep. My "But you've already taken £110 pounds off the card, why do you need to do this" fell on deaf ears.

And to be honest if it means I can get the phone and don't need to keep phoning them about it it's worth the token payment.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
Proof of ID is done via credit/debit card authorisation now. This is the same in-store for O2 and CPW. They take a nominal amount, like £1, and by doing that can check the address of the card holder matches what they have on record. They refund the £1 straight away (but it usually takes a few days to be credited).

I think thats rather silly. Say I lost my card and pin number (silly me!), anyone could then use my identity? Crazy!

Brutalpootle

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
UK
I received a text last Thursday afternoon telling me my order was successful and that it would be "couriered by 18 July". I've not had any emails or heard anything else but when I looked at the order status on o2.co.uk yesterday (not that I've been obsessively checking it all week or anything), it was showing as complete with a DHL consignment number.

According to the DHL tracking website, it was picked up from O2 in Leeds at 12:25 yesterday and arrived at the Glasgow depot at 4:35 this morning. Apart from giving me doubts about the new phone's GPS capability, I'm wondering if I'll be seeing it sometime today or if it'll turn up tomorrow.

I work from home but I have to have a meeting either this afternoon or tomorrow and I know that it's probably going to turn up while I'm out no matter when I choose :/

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2006
Mine arrived about 4.30pm in a Volkswagen Polo. Looked like the delivery man's wife was out for a run sitting in the front seat too.

AndyMulhearn

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
Well after my O2 disaster, mine was picked up by DHL at 19:02 this evening for delivery before 10am tomorrow.

We'll see.

April Dancer

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2006
Surrey, UK
Mine finally arrived at 7.30pm. The woman that delivered it was, well cheery to say the least. I can hazard a guess where she'd been up till then.

And after all that I can't even open the bugger. I'm going to take it down to the Apple Store tomorrow and throw myself on their mercy (ho ho) to see if they'll change it for white so it's got to stay sealed tonight. Nice box though... :rolleyes:

keithop

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Mine arrived about lunch time :)

I was kinda worried since firmware 2 on my iphone1 is laggy and awful :( despite restoring to the latest "proper" firmware.

Anyway, all perfect :) screen is fine, speed great, scrolling contacts fast as the old firmware (so far)

Very pleased :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.