O2 uk racing to sell off iPhone 3G stock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brisweeney, Apr 5, 2009.

1. brisweeney macrumors regular

brisweeney

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

More interesting is the hint that O2's deal is going to end with the new iPhone. Any ideas as to who (i.e. Orange or Vodafone) is going to be new new partner?

3. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

Hopefully someone with decent 3G coverage! Vodafone would be ideal, as long as they have a decent data plan now? Old one was useless 120MB for £7.50 or something!

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If they'd like to drop the cost of the PAYG to £99 I'll help them out getting rid of stock :D

5. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Orange probably, not that i'd move back but hopefully it will drive down the monthly rental.

It's way too high at the moment.

6. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

Plus Oranges coverage like o2's is rubbish ;)

7. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Depends where you are I guess - I don't get Vodafone signal in my house (my neighbours have to stand outside to use their phones :) ) so Orange would be better for me.

8. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Crap

threads like this make me feel like an inpatient teenager

Instead of waiting for the new iPhone I purchased one last week ( my old iphone was stolen)

Well hopefully the resale value holds up :D

9. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I hope that means no provider will have exclusivity and O2 still continue to sell the new iPhone.

Purely because I would like the option to upgrade in the same way I did last summer from iPhone to iPhone 3G :D

That and it would be good for O2 to have competition of course!

10. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

There will be no "new new partner" — at best or worst (for O2) it only means O2's exclusivity would end… and only if Apple uses its (unconfirmed) two-year break clause.

I don't quite think all O2 iPhone users will have to switch to Orange or Vodafone. ;)

Agreed.

11. The Phazer macrumors 68030

I wouldn't read much into the Guardian's "hint" that O2 might be losing exclusivity. It is unlikely to be anything more than supposition.

After all, the week prior to the announcement that O2 was going to be the UK carrier the Guardian ran five seperate stories, all saying a different network or combination of networks was going to have the deal. Getting the winner when you bet on every horse isn't much of an achievement, so I'm not convinced they have any super inside source on this.

Phazer

12. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Yeah that's what I meant. As in, now there will (probably) be 2 partners instead of just 1.

13. Oliver.m macrumors regular

Oliver.m

I hope that Orange get the iPhone then i won't need to go through the hassle of jailbreaking and unlocking. O2 reception is awful at my house.

14. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

". . . Rival mobile phone firms are trying hard to break in, as Apple's similar deal with AT&T in the US ended last week."

Haven't heard anything else about that. Is that right? We might get a hint from what's happening there.

15. sedgeman macrumors member

That surely isn't true?

16. slashjunior macrumors regular

I think it is inevitable that we get a new iPhone around July time. I am very happy with the current iPhone 3G so will just stick it out till the end of my contract in January. If the news is true about O2 losing their exclusivity deal then this is great news. I would move to Vodafone, but there is no way I would go back to Orange even if you paid me.

I can't complain about O2 that much although it is the definite weak point of the iPhone. I just think Vodafone would offer more 3G coverage which is becoming more important for me as I am using 3G more and more. Hopefully it will also bring down prices. It would be great if they even just offered unlimited texts with 600 minutes for £35 a month, couldn't care if they dropped the unlimited MyCloud and BTOpenzone hotspots, which seem pointless as the places with the most hotspots usually have the most 3G coverage...it is not something I ever use. Does anyone else?

17. macgrl macrumors 65816

I hope that orange don't get it as the reception in my area is so bad. Who ever gets it there are going to be winners and losers.

18. slashjunior macrumors regular

Sounds highly plausible to me. WWDC would be the most likely place to announce it, or an event around that sort of time. However, they could be showing off the final build of Snow Leopard at WWDC?

19. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

What do you not believe? :confused:
    That Apple has sold 17m iPhones?
    That a new iPhone might be revealed at June's WDC?

Pointless? Why?
    I certainly do use the hotspots… there is no comparison between the WiFi speed and 3G… especially now with Skype.
    That would be a bad move for the £35+ contacts… for the £25 ones, maybe…

20. phannon666 macrumors regular

If O2 lose the ability to carry the iPhone altogether, then it'll be the last iPhone I get. Orange and Vodafone's customer services are diabolical at best, both are on my ****-list from past experiences.

21. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

It'd be great if just Apple sold the iPhone. Unlocked for any network at a premium price. No network hassles, just choose who is best for you and off you go :)

22. berkeleysq macrumors newbie

O2 & Vodaphone

I read recently that O2 & Vodaphone had come to an agreement to share their network so O2 coverage could soon be sorted.

23. manorpark macrumors member

Hi

A story came out a couple of weeks ago that vodafone and O2 were going to share some 3G coverage and if they were to share rights to the iphone it would suit me fine.

Vodafones 3G is better than O2's and I use a phone and USB modem on it. My iphone is a work one on O2 and the coverage is not as good but it is a great phone, with OS 3.0 on Vodafone i could get rid of phone/modem and just run the iphone.

Fingers crossed !

MP

24. neil1980 macrumors 6502

Please don't let it be Orange... and preferably not Voda either!

If it was to go to somebody else other than O2 I wouldn't mind seeing it go to T-Mobile... there data was excellent with the web and walk on my various windows mobile phone's and at a very reasonable price too!

I cant see that O2 would just let exclusivity go to another provider though... after all how many new customers do you think they got from the iPhone and how many do you think would leave O2 if the only real choice to get an iPhone was to go else where?

25. jbutterfill macrumors newbie

iPhone on Vodafone

I have an unlocked (officially) 3g iPhone and use the SIM only deal on vodafone. I am very please with how well it works and how good the coverage is in the countryside and in the city. My current SIM only deal costs £20 pcm along with a £5 unlimited internet access deal. I get 600 mins free with that along with unlimited text. Much better than what O2 has on offer. Its just costly buying an officially unlock iPhone...