O2 uk users - Are you upgrading tomorrow from iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phildexter, Jun 18, 2009.

1. phildexter macrumors member

Just wondering who will be upgrading tomorrow with the release of the new iPhone who signed contracts last July with o2. I spend over £50 a month but that means i still can't upgrade until October, not without paying £310 anyway.

I see AT&T have changed their policy so more people can upgrade much earlier without huge upgrade prices. Wish o2 would do the same.

2. RA19 macrumors regular

No - too rich for me this time & I'm not prepared to sign another 18 month contract whilst paying six months of the current one off too!!
    :mad:

3. revs macrumors regular

Nope. Not worth it for me. I'll skip this one and get the 2010 version, thats only a 6 month wait after the contract runs out.

To me its more about the software

4. FrogTastic macrumors regular

FrogTastic

I qualify for a 6 month early upgrade. But i think im going to hang on for awhile. I think the deals will only get better as time passes. Well, hopefully!

5. chrisblore macrumors regular

I'm hoping to upgrade tomorrow or this weekend. For whatever reason, despite signing on to an 18 month contract last year, O2 seem to think (according to my account page on their website) that my contract runs out on 24th June 2009. Who am I to argue with that? :p

6. vinnyemmery macrumors member

dont be too sure ,on my o2 account it says june 2009 for upgrade , i phoned o2 to enquire about upgrading to 3gs they said that i cant untill sept (being able to upgrade 3 mths early o2 priority rubbish) and they said the info was wrong on the my o2 webpage

7. iSimon macrumors regular

I'm upgrading, but doing so by buying the 3GS on PAYG and then just continuing my existing contract, then in January I'll be switching to Simplicity - should work out cheaper overall than premature upgrading, plus I won't be in contract this time next year when the next model comes out. Already sold my 3G iPhone and sending it off once I've got my 3GS all set up!

8. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

Not me. My contract runs out in July 2010, just in time for next year's phone if there is one!

9. phildexter thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guys, good to hear peoples feedback, glad i'm not the only one, lol. hopefully o2 will realise that few people are upgrading this time round due to their greed and reduce prices over the coming months. Keep posting your thoughts though :)

10. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I think the gods want me to get a 3GS... firstly some glitch on O2's system seems to make it think I'm eligible for upgrade already (I phoned and checked and they said I can get the 3GS tomorrow despite technically having 6 months left in my contract). Secondly, my iPhone 3G has this second gone tits up and won't copy stuff to it despite numerous restores and resets. So methinks if I don't get one tomorrow I might suffer the gods' wrath...

11. Petoz macrumors 6502

Petoz

+1

12. 03sho macrumors 6502a

I ain't getting it. Holding out for next years release.

13. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Am I the only one then? :eek:

I'll buy a Pay & Go iPhone and swap over the SIM cards so I don't have to pay off my contract or start a new one. It's still expensive, but it seems like the most viable option, and I'm just a gadget whore :D

14. hailst0rm macrumors member

Nope, me too. Already sold my 3G and I'm going to go with PAYG tomorrow.

15. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Ah, so there's 2 of us then! At least the queues won't be too long! :)

Were you already on PAYG with the 3G?

16. hailst0rm macrumors member

No, I'm on contract. Just too impatient to wait until Jan 2010 to upgrade.

17. tiguk macrumors 6502

Yep, me too.

Debated it for a bit... a long time for me actually. It took me about 10 minutes to give in to shelling out more money!
    :rolleyes:

18. RealaT macrumors regular

I'm going to get the 3GS tomorrow morning with any luck (32gb White hopefully). Got 6 months left on my 3G contract but i'm just going to start a new contract and run 2 at the same time for the next 6 months.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm going to hang onto my 2G. Does everything I need.

20. digbyp macrumors regular

Not me! Will cost me around £500 and then it will be another 18 month contract and in the same position next year.

O2 (Apple) are NOT going to see the demand they had hoped for and hopefully, will instruct O2 to change their upgrade pricing as Apple did with AT&T. But there is still the problem of the 18 month contract

If there was another provider to compete against O2, then prices would be cheaper and no doubt a 12 month contract.

I for one am going to write to the monopolies commision, Trading Standards and the OFT to express my disatisfaction. No doubt it will get nowhere. But the more complaints there are, perhaps eventually the people will be heard

21. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I know the feeling!

10 minutes? You have as much will-power as me ;)

22. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

But you could get a PAYG for about the same price and swap over the SIM cards, so you don't have to commit to a new contract. I know it's still expensive, but it's not an unreasonable cost for what you're getting.

I don't see any grounds for writing to any of the organisations you mentioned!

23. smr macrumors 6502a

I will be upgrading to a 32GB 3G S from my 8GB 1st gen iPhone at 8am tomorrow. I have been holding out for 32GB, but the speed increase, camera improvements, video recording, voice control and digital compass (plus GPS and 3G) also help justify the cost.

24. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

ah its like looking in an internet mirror.

exactly what im doing. not liking what i hear about less/no pay and go options available tomorrow..

25. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I called my local O2 shop today, and they said they have "quite a lot" of PAYG iPhones ready for tomorrow. I'm not exactly sure how many "quite a lot" is, but I guess it's more than two!