Obama's Beast: Owned by a hill!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by garybUK, May 23, 2011.

1. garybUK Guest

garybUK

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

He should have made Michelle get out and push!:p

3. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

That 7 barely made it over. You could hear it scrape as well. Was it any longer, it would have suffered the same fate.

And that is the old presidential limo. This is Obama's beast.

[​IMG]

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Haha.
    Damn those door are pretty thick.

This happened in Ireland?

5. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

That's pretty funny, maybe it's time to upgrade to a stretch armored Hummer.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Watch the video again, but this time pay attention to the front wheels/suspension. In another thread it was pointed out that it appeared that air-suspension suddenly lowered the car, onto the hump. Apparently this is what the car does if it thinks it's being attacked - by putting the car body as close as possible to the road surface is supposedly makes it more difficult to roll a bomb under it.

Of course, if you get hung up on a hump, you're a sitting duck.

If this is what happened, then I wonder what made it go into "defend" mode?

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

could be when it scrape that hump it caused it to trip.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

11. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

That really is! Such an ugly car!

12. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

To heck with that. It's time to upgrade to an M1A2 Abrams Tank or a Category II MRAP Buffalo.:cool:

M1A1_Abrams_Tank_in_Camp_Fallujah.jpg

Buffalo8.jpg

13. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's actually a much better view.

And while lee and I agree on many things, I guess cars isn't one of them. I think that vehicle is -- for an armor-enforced presidential limo -- rather understated. Check out a few of the previous models.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

From that video it looks like there might have been a little to much armor and not enough axle.

velocityg4, that would work for me!

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed. It's not bad after considering the fact that it's basically a tank-limousine.....the type of thing Q would give James Bond if he was into limos.

17. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I think it is ugly as hell!

Compare it to other countries and I think it's horrid. The Germans have a great Merc, the British have a Jaguar, the Japanese Emperor has a limo that looks much better than "The Beast"!

They still manage to have armour, bullet-proof glass, internal oxygen systems etc. I'm particularly jealous of the UK PM's 1200 Watt B&W 7.1 surround sound system in his car!

It's obviously very subjective, but I don't like the big boxy limo, I much prefer the more sleek cars of the British and Germans above.

18. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Its not really about style though - its about function. If you can tell me that BMW can withstand everything the beast can then you have a point (which is pure conjecture as the beast is a one off and mostly classified). But if not, then I am going to guess on sheer size alone the beast is going to be more able to withstand an attack. They don't make it less nimble for nothing?

19. snberk103 macrumors 603

Naw.... it's not whether the Beast can withstand an attack better, it's that the Beast can actually run the country on its own should the entire chain of command be compromised. It's not Sky Net, it's GM-Net..... :D

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

They're all hideous. Just because others are uglier doesn't excuse the nastiness of the current one. ;)

21. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It is party about style, everything in politics is partly style!

This is similar to the army and tanks, they have to compromise between firepower, speed and armour. It's the same here with armour and speed.

The US have a very well armoured vehicle, but it is very slow (read it is 60mph). The UK has less armour but gets to 60mph quickly and has a tops out at 125.

Both cars can resist armour piercing bullets, grenades etc (although exact specs aren't released). The difference is US car can take it for a longer time, but the UK car can get away more easily.

Who knows which strategy is better, if any? I just like the look of a sleek saloon better than a chunky limo!

22. RawBert, May 26, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2011

RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

[​IMG]
    Problem solved.

_______

Another beached limo FAIL.
    [​IMG]

23. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Admittedly you guys just get off on the idea of the Prez riding around in a Bimmer. Let's face it, Cadillac had a rep for being an old man's car since the 70s when bigass cars went out of style. When they started to come in vogue again, it was in the rapper R&B crowd, so the social standards discarded it as gaudy bad taste. By then they were all driving BMWs and decided that anything else is garbage.

That's the problem now. I don't think the president has a choice as far as what kind of vehicle he'll get because even if they just threw another body on a truck frame they'd have to find a competent company to make the truck frame, after GM doing it for so long..

Chrysler? That part Italian ownership (even if it's only a small part right now) gets in the way - I'm sure Obama would love another 300C but yea.. and if I ran my 300 over said speed bump I'd probably be stuck too. It's a long, low car. >>

Ford? You'd have to put up with that god awful SUV thing they're pushing on the limo industry.

The Caddy is weird, but.. what can ya do about it?

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The limo featured in this video is based on the Suburban's frame I believe it is. The new limo( nicknamed Obama's beast) pictured in my first post is based on GM's now defunct medium-duty Top Kick/Kodiak's frame. Now if the SS wants presidential limo's to remain on medium-duty truck frames in the future, the only alternative is Ford with their F-650 frame. Chrysler doesn't have any medium-duty trucks.