Obsessiveness with keeping iPhone clean and scratch free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tsice19, Dec 23, 2008.

1. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I'm yet to get a case for my iPhone (in 2 days I think I'm getting the Slider), so I've been trying to keep my iPhone scratch free. I keep it in a small suede-bag, and I clean it every night when I get home.

However, I still have a small scratch in the upper left hand corner of my bezel and the shiny Apple has a light scratch or two. Other than that, the phone is pristine. I just feel the need to keep it so perfect, and it's a very annoying feeling.

Enough with my ramblings. Does anyone feel the need to keep your iPhone perfect? If so, how old is your iPhone, how good is it's condition, and how do you do it? Or do you just not care and use your phone completely naked? Let me know, should turn out to be quite an interesting thread.

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

You have something called OCD. Please go talk to your mental health professional before you scrub the paint off of your iPhone.:p

Don

3. tsice19 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I don't have OCD with anything else, even my MacBook. But for some reason, the iPhone just seems like it's so prone to scratches even with proper care. It bugs me a little. haha

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I was just joking. I was like that with my iTouch when I first got it, but it's scratched to hell now, and I could honestly care less as long as it still plays my music. Now when I go to the Apple store the day after xmas to get my new iPhone, I will be buying a case for it, because I don't want it to get killed, but I won't obsess over it. Don't worry everyone does it... until you drop it the first time...

Don

5. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

That will last for about a week.

No matter what you do, the bazel and back will get scratched. My first iPhone's bazel was scratched by the case I used on it.

I think your best bet is invisishield but, I love the feel of a naked iPhone in my hand.

6. Robby9279 macrumors regular

Haha! First time I dropped my iTouch I was like, well at least I got that out of the way... then that thing got destroyed (literally), and got it replaced for free, I still baby the replacement haha, but now I'm getting my iPhone sometime this week so probably won't care as much about my touch because I'll have an iPhone! :D But my touch won't get ruined because I won't be using it.

To the OP though, yeah I'll be babying my iPhone just like you, I probably won't use it until I get a case and two silicone cases to keep it in pristine condition. (I'll get the cases the day of receiving my iPhone). But yes, I'll definitely be like you on this one.

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

Get a case (preferably the Incase Slider) and IS or Best Skin Ever or something like that, and you're good to go.

After a week or month (in your case), you'll forget about the iPhone developing scratches.

8. deadsouls macrumors regular

meh there are scratches all over mine. even the glass has a crack in it. no care. or at least not enough to pay 150-250$ to get it fixed. still works fine.

9. tsice19 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsice19

I suppose I will forget about it soon. With my iPod touch, I threw it in an iClear and forgot about it. Not so much with this phone.

As much as I love new devices, I can't stand the period of time where I am trying to keep it as clean and new as possible. Once I've 'worn in the device', it actually feels like mine and I stop caring about it as much.

Glad to see I'm not the only one :D

10. spazattack674 macrumors regular

Mine doesn't really have any noticeable scratches, but I've long given up with keeping the screen clean. It's nearly impossible to do so, because I refuse to carry the microfiber cloth around with me.

11. jgunn macrumors regular

I was like that until I put the invisshield thingy on, now I don't stress and it always looks clean and protected.

12. davyreins macrumors 6502

I used to be OCD about it. But I loved the feel in my hand of my friends iphones that didn't have a case. As much as I enjoyed knowing my iphone would be safe, it just doesn't feel the same in the case. I do have a screen protector though, but I can't even tell it is there.

13. ChrisWilder07 macrumors regular

Easy Way To Prevent Scratches and Keeping Clean

One simple Resolution:

Buy A:

1. Screen Protector

2. Buy a Case

Yeah, yeah, I know you guys out there are saying

"But what about the bulk it adds"
    "Don't you like the feel of it in your hands?"

But i would rather give it bulk and protect it (spending about $20) than dropping it and having to spend a hundred bucks replacing the screen or housing

So, would you rather spend $20 or $100+

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Your iPhone will get scratched whether its in a case or not. The worst scratches on my iPhone were actually from a soft silicone case that had fantastic reviews. When dust gets caught in between the case and the phone a particle will grind right into the shiny finish.

I ditched the case and enjoy the phone much more. There are a few minor marks but nothing as bad as the scratches from that case. My other friends who had their iphones in cases also stopped using them for the same reason.

The only thing a case can save you from is total destruction from a drop--but sadly iphones have broken after being dropped while in cases as well--as most leave the screen unprotected. A clear screen protector won't prevent shattering either.

My point is, go naked. :)

15. tsice19 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Interesting. I'll probably end up ditching the case and just getting an invisible shield and a folio case if I don't like it.

16. ericxd macrumors regular

nothing will stop scratches
    cases just REDUCES it
    like the above said, it takes a tiny dust particle to grind and scratch the iPhone
    JUST GET a Contour Flick, very thin compact case and fits perfectly well with my incase folio:cool:

17. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

I am really weird about these things. I try really hard to keep something perfect when I get it. I baby it like no other to make sure it is not damaged. Then upon its first scratch, I lose all interest in protecting it. If it has one scratch it might as well have 100 and it probably will shortly after the first.

18. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Every case that I have ever tried has scratched the bezel. I don't think there is a case made that doesn't. Really, people need to stop worrying about it. It's a cellphone and it's meant to be used. I have had my red BlackBerry Curve since October and never used it with a case. The top edge above the screen is all dull from where I slide it into my pocket. Still didn't make me get a case. I didn't want to hide the pretty red case. My old Treo 650 was the same way. After the first year I gave up using a case on it and just slid it in my pocket. Same with my 1st generation iPhone.

19. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

incase slider is an awesome case. get it and never look back.

I have the iphone OCD issue also :) ... this case helps a lot.

20. d0hutch macrumors member

d0hutch

I babied the heck out of my 1st gen iPhone, and still do the same with my 3g. I agree, get the incase slider and just forget about having the naked iPhone. If you want it to continue to look pristine it has to have a case on it.

The newer incase sliders that have the powder coat feeling seem to be smaller, id go with one of those.

21. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

How can you enjoy the look of your nice iPhone with a case that covers it?

Forget cases. Use the phone and enjoy it. I love using my iPhone naked. I do have a hip holster though because I don't like it being in my pockets, but as soon as I pull it out, it's naked. Cases just make the iPhone bulky and unattractive. I don't see the point in covering it up. Amazingly, the plastic they chose for the 3G doesn't actually scratch that easily. At least it doesn't leave black marks like the original iPhone did after it scraped through the silver.

22. d0hutch macrumors member

d0hutch

The iphone looks like hell when its been dropped and has scratches all over the back. Plus the case protects it pretty well through bad drops and its much cheaper to replace a $35 case, than a $200-400 new iphone. Plus when the new one comes out, its much easier to sell a prestine iphone on ebay/craigslist than one that is beat up.

23. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I hear you, but since I don't use a case... I am very very careful with how I hold my iPhone and where I hold my iPhone. Before I get out of my car, the iPhone goes in my holster so I don't drop it. I'm just extra careful with it because I don't use a case. Also, I have a backup 1st gen iPhone in case something happens to my 3G.

24. barkomatic macrumors 68040

A holster? I thought you carried your iPhone in a fanny pack? ;)

25. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Very funny.

It's the Sena Eléga Pouch. It's very nice and fits the 3G just fine.