Obvious?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JasonS, Oct 20, 2016.

1. JasonS macrumors newbie

Im really interested in the new MacBooks. I'm seriously hoping they will include the new 8GB mobile cards. I feel like if they don't I'm switching away from Apple. The PC world is always swiftly updating their products and I'm not interested in looking jealously at PCs.

I don't mind paying premiums, but when I look at the Mac Pro prices I seriously question the direction this company is headed.

/rant

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

And even then, it makes no sense given Apple no longer has RAM as a standalone thing; it's soldered now.

5. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

6. leman macrumors 604

Assuming OP really speaks about the new Samsung DDR4 chip, that could be an interesting possibility! Apple could certainly be interested. That would allow them to save precious space on the mainboard. But given that these chips have been announced only few hours ago, I am a bit sceptical that they would make the deadline.

7. JasonS thread starter macrumors newbie

8. leman macrumors 604

Erm, even the weakest Pascal mobile GPU (GTX 1060) has still over 80W TDP in best case (AFAIK no official figures were given yet). That places it FAR beyond the MBP thermal limits. The 15" MBP has always used a 45-50W dGPU, and I am sure that it will stay like it. We will either see a clocked down binned Polaris 11 (most likely, as there is driver support for it in Sierra) or some clocked down or yet unannounced cut down Pascal chip (which would be a big surprise).

9. JasonS thread starter macrumors newbie

Very interesting observation, thank you. I suppose we will have to see. While I like Apple I may feel hesitant to purchase a "pro" model.

10. leman macrumors 604

If that is your line of reasoning, I don't understand why you would ever consider to purchase any of the pro models. Apple never had a high-end GPU in a laptop, simply because laptops they make can't support that kind of hardware (a power draw of one of those GPUs is comparable to the entire MacBook Pro).