OCD... who a real discussion...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kal-037, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Kal-037 macrumors 68000

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    *I’m not criticizing or condemning people who casually say “my OCD is crazy” because we all have obsessive compulsions, and I just don’t think getting mad or offended is at all necessary... but actual chronic and daily OCD is different and a very serious struggle.

I was diagnosed 20 years ago with severe OCD, Anxiety, and Depression.
    I don’t remember it bothering me as much when I was 0-12. When it started to get worse I often would attach it to physical things, (like getting the perfect action figure, comic book, dvd of my favorite show, etc, etc.)

Then when I was about 25-ish I got into Apple products after my uncle gave me the first iPad back in 2010. I didn’t care about it much as I am an 80’s kid who didn’t really have tech or a want for it until my 20’s.

Anyways, in my 20’s I shifted from collecting comic paraphernalia and such. Inadvertently i now attach my ocd to Apple products and it’s been hell.
    I constantly worry that my iPad isn’t perfect so I need to trade it in over and over until I get one that passes my “perfection” test (95% or higher is my threshold) as in there can only be 5% imperfections (tiny, tiny scratches on the aluminum but not the glass, or I accept minor imperfections with the aluminum.) Obviously all iPads will have some distortion, indents, or bumps due to manufacturing and just plain physics. This last iPad though has stressed me out more than any before. I exchanged it probably 5 times. I got the last replacement Jan. 4th... the screen, speakers, camera, and glass display have no issues I can see. The back has a very, very subtle distortion on the bottom left of the aluminum back if I look for it.
    At first I wanted to return it again cause I thought I had to have everything as close to perfect as possible. Then I saw a couple other people with the same issue, (which helped me start to think logically.) But what really helped was my older brother (who has more intense OCD) talked me down and helped me realize how silly I was being.
    It took so much to accept the iPad and was hard counting down the days for a return to expire.

My iPad works great, I’ll get a glitch here and there, but overall it’s amazing.

***the whole point of this post is see if anyone else would like to share their difficulties with OCD when concerning Apple products.

I still have days where I think I maybe could get a closer to perfect iPad if I take it to Apple and use AppleCare+ to swap it out. But reality sets in and I realize the things I think are issues are most likely affecting all iPads with the issue... since others had it, and the rest of owners probably can’t see it or don’t look for it I feel like swapping is pointless.
    It’s honestly still really hard, I was and am still somewhat ruled by OCD thoughts.

Hopefully people are okay with talking about a personal mental hurdle and sharing how they deal.

If not, no big deal. :)
    It just helps to get other viewpoints from others who suffer from OCD with Apple products. :eek:

2. WrightBrain macrumors regular

WrightBrain

I have OCD and had a similar experience with an iPod touch with a dead pixel. It was all I could see when using it. My wife offered to swap, so I could have hers, but I decided to not feed my brain troll and forced myself to live with it. After a while I hardly noticed it.

So yeah as sufferers we have to learn to strike the balance between dealing with actual problem and mental ones. But if we make a habit of not indulging our misfiring amygdala’s, it gets easier to ignore them.

3. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 68000

Kal-037

Gosh darn it I thought I was over caring about imperfections... my iPad has som very slight imperfections on the aluminum side. I know if I do my AppleCare+ on it to exchange, I’ll probably get it worse or the same thing. Ugggh, I hate getting stressed about stupid stuff I know logically isn’t a big deal.

K.

4. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

I can't share any difficulties with my Apple products, but I can understand the OCD of it, somewhat.

I have a more mild degree of OCD, so it tends to affect me in a more limited fashion. When I help out at my friend's business and we are packing things, my OCD kicks in and the packing has to be perfectly symmetrical & balanced. When people add stuff to my orders, I can't help but rearrange, because they will just throw things anywhere. It drives me nuts, but they look at me 'like what's the big deal?' It's something people can't grasp. I help them simplify things by just saying put it down, and I'll handle it. When you do your orders, I will do the same and just put it down for you to just throw anywhere. For me things just have to be arranged a certain way, if they involve me.

With that in mind, my OCD hasn't carried to other things, like having a perfect Apple product. So with your examples, I'm like the others who ask 'what's the big deal'? I can kind of see where you are coming from, but I can't grasp it. I fall in the camp of 'does it work?'? Is it still working? Then it's good.

I find myself falling in the camp of I want customers to get their product handled right & packaged, I think of the store people that deal with returns in the same regard. I think others might think that way, when they hear stories of people returning Apple products seemingly endlessly, because there will always be an issue it seems. It's something we can't understand. I wouldn't stress it, as long as you are allowed to return a product, the company is willing to make you happy, it's all good.

5. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 68000

Kal-037

Thank you so much for sharing and helping me. I don’t want to return it as I know there will be some other “issue” I’ll find but that tiny voice or urge in your head gets really annoying and makes a convincing argument. lol
    It’s weird cause I thought I was over this particular hurdle but in the past week it sprung up again and I don’t know why. ugghh, but again thanks for helping me, hearing your way of dealing with things gives me another viewpoint and helps me calm down and realize I’m letting my illogical obsessiveness win.
    +1000 karma for being so kind sir. :)

Kallum.

6. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Cool. Like I said, don't worry about others, some just won't be able to understand. That isn't on them or you, it's just the way it is with these things. I myself to help deal just swing the other way, I try really really really hard to just let things roll & just chill. It's hard I know, that nagging voice, but it's either chill or get annoyed.